• ...and so much more!
  • alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I have a buddy looking for a retro AR-15. He served in Vietnam in the mid 1960's and wants one like the one he was issued but in semi auto. He is looking for one with a fixed stock and carry handle.

Any suggestions?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have one made by Brownells which is a nice copy of an M16A1 or you can get a copy of the earlier M16 whichever is your preference. They are a bit pricey but nice, they do put them on sale quite often.

2UAkkYL.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    https://www.brownells.com/firearms/index.htm

They ain't cheap. Personally, would seek out a real SP1 Colt for a little more money. They start at about $1500 for a 6 digit serial number and at 3 to 4 thousand for a 4 digit SN. The sky is the limit for 3 digits.

Edit to add; beaten like a borrowed mule.

I got that one for 900.00 but that was an exceptional sale price, you are going to spend a lot more for an SP1 plus the SP1's are not a good facsimile of a Vietnam era M16A1. SP1's would definitely fit the 'retro' bill though.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, you can occasionally still find original M16 Parts Kits available that can then be used to build a retro rifle. I went this route a few years ago with good results. You will likely need to get on a mailing list for somebody that gets them, they sell out quickly when an importer gets some in. The one I have is a Colt's made part set that came out of Malaysia. I added a new pencil barrel with an Anderson receiver and it runs great.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/colt-m16a1-parts-kit-cal-223

J7BUOlw.jpg

t2NsOo2.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    FWIW, you can occasionally still find original M16 Parts Kits available that can then be used to build a retro rifle. I went this route a few years ago with good results. You will likely need to get on a mailing list for somebody that gets them, they sell out quickly when an importer gets some in. The one I have is a Colt's made part set that came out of Malaysia. I added a new pencil barrel with an Anderson receiver and it runs great.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/colt-m16a1-parts-kit-cal-223

J7BUOlw.jpg

t2NsOo2.jpg

Ok, THAT is cool.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If you want to go “full retard” you get an 80% receiver, have it “reprofiled” into A1 configuration, and have the correct Vietnam markings engraved onto it. Then, you can finish it out yourself and be as close to the real thing as you can legally get. Mine even says “safe, semi, full” - but of course it is ACTUALLY “safe, semi, semi”. You also have the “added” benefit of No paper trail on the receiver, so it won’t ever have to get lost in a boating accident.

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    Gee this thread is like a walk down memory lane, I enlisted in 1976 so a M-16a1 was my issued tool as a 11B1P. I found this if you want to go for a built rifle https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/a1-government/ . If you can find one the price is usually less than MSRP but because of demand prices are up from say Dec 2019. As I was going into the reserve Army in 1984 and I lusted after the M-16a2 because of the M-885 round and extra range so I bought a Windham AR-15a2 copy. Any way you go please post your final build, would love to see.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    If you want to go “full retard” you get an 80% receiver, have it “reprofiled” into A1 configuration, and have the correct Vietnam markings engraved onto it. Then, you can finish it out yourself and be as close to the real thing as you can legally get. Mine even says “safe, semi, full” - but of course it is ACTUALLY “safe, semi, semi”. You also have the “added” benefit of No paper trail on the receiver, so it won’t ever have to get lost in a boating accident.

Safe, Semi-automatic, and Full Semi-automatic

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have one made by Brownells which is a nice copy of an M16A1 or you can get a copy of the earlier M16 whichever is your preference. They are a bit pricey but nice, they do put them on sale quite often.

2UAkkYL.jpg
    Very nice. Looks like the A1 I had in the Marines. What twist is the barrel?

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    I took a peek at the Brownell's web site and the model BRN-16a1 has a 1:12 twist rate so I don't think it would like a 62gr bullet much. MSRP of the Brownell rifle was like the Windham M-16a1 look-a-like but out of stock. It is a nice looking rifle and maybe when the crazyness settles down might be a good addition to the fleet.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    For me, as a gunsmith, it would depend "How Accurate" do you want the retro to be?

4 notch round post front sight? 4 notch square post front sight? No forward assist, no trap door butt plate, 3 prong flash hider, rifle grenade 'Finger' attachment under flash hider, Etc...
    You can very well go 'Full Stupid' like someone else said!

Some of these parts are EXTREMELY hard to find...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I took a peek at the Brownell's web site and the model BRN-16a1 has a 1:12 twist rate so I don't think it would like a 62gr bullet much. MSRP of the Brownell rifle was like the Windham M-16a1 look-a-like but out of stock. It is a nice looking rifle and maybe when the crazyness settles down might be a good addition to the fleet.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

I've only shot my bulk 55grs through it and it shot very well, I even used a period zero target as well. I was going to buy a bayonet too but somewhere along the line people decided those were worth something and they tend to be $$ now when I see them. They seem to have been out of stock for awhile but when they have them they do run sales quite often.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    For me, as a gunsmith, it would depend "How Accurate" do you want the retro to be?

4 notch round post front sight? 4 notch square post front sight? No forward assist, no trap door butt plate, 3 prong flash hider, rifle grenade 'Finger' attachment under flash hider, Etc...
    You can very well go 'Full Stupid' like someone else said!
    Some of these parts are EXTREMELY hard to find...

Why no forward assist? It is true that the Air Force Models in Vietnam had no forward assist, but the Army/Marine Corp XM16E1 WITH forward assist came out in late 1964 or early 1965. The grenade “finger” attachment was discontinued at about the same time. And, yes, many of the early original parts are QUITE EXPENSIVE (can you say $400 for a transitional bolt catch, lol).

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I bought mine after the sandy hook bubble, paid too much, but love it !!Triangle forestock, fixed buttstock, and handle, Anderson lower, bushmaster GI upper. I went through USAF basic in 1981, so I qualified with the A-1 type rifle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom