Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retro AR15

User Info Menu

Retro AR15

I have a buddy looking for a retro AR-15. He served in Vietnam in the mid 1960's and wants one like the one he was issued but in semi auto. He is looking for one with a fixed stock and carry handle.

Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

I have one made by Brownells which is a nice copy of an M16A1 or you can get a copy of the earlier M16 whichever is your preference. They are a bit pricey but nice, they do put them on sale quite often.

User Info Menu

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/index.htm

They ain't cheap. Personally, would seek out a real SP1 Colt for a little more money. They start at about $1500 for a 6 digit serial number and at 3 to 4 thousand for a 4 digit SN. The sky is the limit for 3 digits.

Edit to add; beaten like a borrowed mule.
    Laser eyed dog has mellowed (Daughters "hair missile")and cat is alive and well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BGDave View Post
    https://www.brownells.com/firearms/index.htm

They ain't cheap. Personally, would seek out a real SP1 Colt for a little more money. They start at about $1500 for a 6 digit serial number and at 3 to 4 thousand for a 4 digit SN. The sky is the limit for 3 digits.

Edit to add; beaten like a borrowed mule.
    I got that one for 900.00 but that was an exceptional sale price, you are going to spend a lot more for an SP1 plus the SP1's are not a good facsimile of a Vietnam era M16A1. SP1's would definitely fit the 'retro' bill though.

User Info Menu

You have a host of choices but did not specify XM16E1 or M16A1 or M16?

Give me a choice and I'll give you the run down of who makes what.
    Kirk Freeman, INGO's Dennis Miller of gun culture references

User Info Menu

FWIW, you can occasionally still find original M16 Parts Kits available that can then be used to build a retro rifle. I went this route a few years ago with good results. You will likely need to get on a mailing list for somebody that gets them, they sell out quickly when an importer gets some in. The one I have is a Colt's made part set that came out of Malaysia. I added a new pencil barrel with an Anderson receiver and it runs great.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/product...ts-kit-cal-223

INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob63 View Post
    FWIW, you can occasionally still find original M16 Parts Kits available that can then be used to build a retro rifle. I went this route a few years ago with good results. You will likely need to get on a mailing list for somebody that gets them, they sell out quickly when an importer gets some in. The one I have is a Colt's made part set that came out of Malaysia. I added a new pencil barrel with an Anderson receiver and it runs great.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/product...ts-kit-cal-223

Ok, THAT is cool.
    Shut up and color!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    Ok, THAT is cool.
    This is the route I took just before the pandemic hit. Still waiting to take her out and see what she can do.
    The older I get, the better I used to be....

Expert

User Info Menu

If you want to go “full retard” you get an 80% receiver, have it “reprofiled” into A1 configuration, and have the correct Vietnam markings engraved onto it. Then, you can finish it out yourself and be as close to the real thing as you can legally get. Mine even says “safe, semi, full” - but of course it is ACTUALLY “safe, semi, semi”. You also have the “added” benefit of No paper trail on the receiver, so it won’t ever have to get lost in a boating accident.
    With so many places beating dicks I think it's gonna hurt dicks bad.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your replies I will ask him what model he is looking to get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast