• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Does anyone have that one gun that you own for no other reason that it just make you happy and it a blast to shoot? The PSL is mine for me, its by no means most accurate rifle, but it is defiantly my most fun to shoot lol.

PSL-on-the-Bench.png

[video=youtube;ch8S0bIvZNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch8S0bIvZNY&t=91s[/video]

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I have not put a lot of rounds through mine but I know it's a rifle I'll never sell. I recently picked up a KOM 6x 1000M optic but have not had the chance to sight it in.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Does anyone have that one gun that you own for no other reason that it just make you happy and it a blast to shoot?

My M92 fits that bill. You pretty much need sunglasses to shoot it with the fireballs it generates.

Nice video, OP, and nice rifle. Glad you finally got your hands on one. I missed the boat on decently priced PSLs and SVTs, but still long for something that can eat all this x54 faster than my Mosins. Have you tried the new-production polymer mags? Also, for what it's worth ... 95% of my x54 ammo is surplus, but of all the brass and steel commercial stuff I've ran through my PU Sniper, the only problems I've ever had were with Tula. Pretty much the same with x39 as well. I'd say avoid Tula if you can.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have not put a lot of rounds through mine but I know it's a rifle I'll never sell. I recently picked up a KOM 6x 1000M optic but have not had the chance to sight it in.

I agree this will be one Ill never get rid of either.. Yea I put one of the 6x Kalinka optics on mine and am very happy with it. Its extremely clear and no trouble making hits to 300yrds with it so far.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My M92 fits that bill. You pretty much need sunglasses to shoot it with the fireballs it generates.

Nice video, OP, and nice rifle. Glad you finally got your hands on one. I missed the boat on decently priced PSLs and SVTs, but still long for something that can eat all this x54 faster than my Mosins. Have you tried the new-production polymer mags? Also, for what it's worth ... 95% of my x54 ammo is surplus, but of all the brass and steel commercial stuff I've ran through my PU Sniper, the only problems I've ever had were with Tula. Pretty much the same with x39 as well. I'd say avoid Tula if you can.

The best accuracy I have got is from the Grafts brass case ammo loaded with Hornady SST bullets. I can get about 2-2.5" at 110yrds so Im pretty happy with that, but I mostly shoot Wolf through it. I can make hits to 300yrds (farthest I have to shoot) with it so Im more than happy with it. I have seen those mags and plan to get a couple in for review, so Im hoping to get a video done on those in the future..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I kick myself all the time for not picking one of these up when they were still semi-reasonable. :wallbash: I used to want an SVT too, but after finding out more about them, not so much (although back when they were more reasonable too, I wouldn't have minded one). But the PSL being so AK-like... what's not to love?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had a century one awhile back. It was a basket case of a gun and magazines that worked were unobtanium. I ended up selling it and getting a vepr 7.62x54r and have had much better luck and accuracy.

tEUXjDl.jpg

Was a great day the first time I shot it after installing the scope. I just laser bore sighted it. At 100 yards first round went dead square in the bullseye lol.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Yes, I’ve got guns that I just have for fun
    I can’t see the utility in just owning self-protection or carry guns. You’ve gotta have something for just plinking, having fun or plopping holes in paper.
    10B99E97-3C79-4188-BB4B-7A9831E9D183.jpeg

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I had one in the shop and shot it a little...

Most certainly NOT a Dragunov, but it was fun to shoot an ammo was cheap.

The guy that hauled it in here *Thought* he had a Dragunov he bought "Dirt Cheap", but he actually paid retail for what he actually got, so didn't get skinned entirely.
    That's happened a few times, some importer marked them 'Dragunov' to fool people, and it worked.

They kind of have a following, not my cup of tea but the guys that own them have reasonable expectations, I have no dog in the fight so no opinion.
    If it suits the application, you can't argue with that.

Reliability is fair, not as reliable as an AK, but not many issues I know about but I don't mess with them too much...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I bought one years ago when you got three mags, optics, cleaning kit, oiler and all for $650. On a good day with the right ammo it would shoot a pattern twice as large as I could with my M1 Garand with open sights over the same distance.

Since the Greek ammo was about the same cost as the 7.62x54R at the time, I sold it and haven't looked back.

I was foolish enough to think foreign military's held their weapons to the same standards as ours use to. It was a mistake...

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Always thought the PSL was an interesting rifle. Designed for reaching targets just outside the range of an AK.
    The prices went up and discouraged me from that type of investment.
    My understanding is that the quality control was not as good as the Russian versions.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Always thought the PSL was an interesting rifle. Designed for reaching targets just outside the range of an AK.
    The prices went up and discouraged me from that type of investment.
    My understanding is that the quality control was not as good as the Russian versions.

The Russians never made a PSL. So it gets compared a lot to the Dragunov which its not even close to being.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have one of the old $600 ones. It was fun to shoot, but it is SO ACCURATE that I stopped shooting it. There really was no challenge left at 100 to 200 yards. When I get my 600-800 yard range finished, I will dust it off and shoot it some more.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I bought one years ago when you got three mags, optics, cleaning kit, oiler and all for $650. On a good day with the right ammo it would shoot a pattern twice as large as I could with my M1 Garand with open sights over the same distance.

Since the Greek ammo was about the same cost as the 7.62x54R at the time, I sold it and haven't looked back.

I was foolish enough to think foreign military's held their weapons to the same standards as ours use to. It was a mistake...
    There’s only one proving with calling any PSL that’s in country a “military rifle” there’s absolutely ZERO military PSLs in the US. They’re three pin rifles and ATF considers them machineguns. You could’ve gotten a kit build, from an old surplus demill and a shot out barrel, which were what a lot of the cheap PSLs were a while back.

and yes, the PSL is a three pin receiver gun, classic firearms had a shipment they received that had the evil pin and they had to be confiscated or turned over to ATF for it. They’re all kit guns, or Commercial rifles

Top Bottom