• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    you might be getting the salesman pitch for the Saint. It's a bit pricey for a first time buyer and they may be trying to prey on the lack of knowledge on the subject. here are many quality ARs you can buy for around $600-$800, and then you buy ammo and an optic. Springfields aren't bad, per se, but a bit pricey for someone "just wanting something". Palmetto State Armory is a good company that sells good quality ARs for good prices and they ship it to your FFL and you pay the transfer fee.

As for the "is it legal to transfer to MI to shoot it", it is legal to transport a gun across state lines to shoot, as long as the gun itself is legal i the selected state.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a Saint that I like very well. It is a pistol version and I have upgraded the snot out of it.
    As mentioned be careful what the guy behind the counter pushes on you.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I should clarify, the salesman didn't push one over another. He made a few suggestions, and showed us the differences between them. He showed that some of the lower cost ones, don't have a rail for optics, so that would increase the overall price after upgrading. He told us that any one of the brands that have been around for a while, are a good bet. With the Springfield, it has a stainless trigger, coated bolt and barrel (as oppossed to oiled steel), and a rail. We both like the adjustable stock, since it fits us both comfortably. My wife is much smaller than I am, or at least shorter arms.

We think with it ready to shoot, would be a good start. There's only about a $50 price difference between the Springfield, and the other one that would require sights, and I forget what else he mentioned, just to compare to the Springfield. I've looked at some AR's online, but a lot of places are sold out. The local shop has them (a few) in stock, and no transfer fee.

We just want a reliable firearm. It may not matter, but the guy is ex-military, and spent a lot of undivided time, explaining a lot about the AR's. Not any one over another.

Thanks for the advice.

I think local gun shops are sometimes worth the price when they offer great service. If you're comfortable with the "salesman" and liked the rifle...buy it...the Springfield Saint is a quality AR and I'd say you've waited long enough. don't take the risk that it may not be there when you go back tomorrow

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I think local gun shops are sometimes worth the price when they offer great service. If you're comfortable with the "salesman" and liked the rifle...buy it...the Springfield Saint is a quality AR and I'd say you've waited long enough. don't take the risk that it may not be there when you go back tomorrow
    I have to agree with this the market is tight right now and if you can pick up a Saint then I say do it. A quality gun that will do you well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I should clarify, the salesman didn't push one over another. He made a few suggestions, and showed us the differences between them. He showed that some of the lower cost ones, don't have a rail for optics, so that would increase the overall price after upgrading. He told us that any one of the brands that have been around for a while, are a good bet. With the Springfield, it has a stainless trigger, coated bolt and barrel (as oppossed to oiled steel), and a rail. We both like the adjustable stock, since it fits us both comfortably. My wife is much smaller than I am, or at least shorter arms.

We think with it ready to shoot, would be a good start. There's only about a $50 price difference between the Springfield, and the other one that would require sights, and I forget what else he mentioned, just to compare to the Springfield. I've looked at some AR's online, but a lot of places are sold out. The local shop has them (a few) in stock, and no transfer fee.

We just want a reliable firearm. It may not matter, but the guy is ex-military, and spent a lot of undivided time, explaining a lot about the AR's. Not any one over another.

Thanks for the advice.

I would agree with most all of this. My saint has never missed a beat. It is well fit/finished.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And t answer your other question, I have carried long guns into Michigan many times. I carry them unloaded, in a case, in the trunk or where not readily accessible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ASIDE: The Saint advertising campaign was . . . different (Train Your Fear and all that goofy stuff) and turned me off from buying one for a while, but objectively nothing wrong with the Saint.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for the saint. Do it. They are nice rifles and not overpriced. There are better deals elsewhere, but you wont go wrong with the Saint.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Step two is getting some training. Even if its just an hour with an instructor. Since you said you arent a rifle guy, the two of you would benefit from some quick weapons familiarization training.

Long term, check into Revere's Riders 125 basic rifle course. Its a 1 or 2 day (depending on the range) course that teaches the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. Great instructors, and a GREAT program. It will take you from sending rounds downrange to consistently hitting targets downrange at any distance.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is everyone's choice of ammo? I read that the FMJ acts similar to a JHP, as it fragments upon impact. We've also decided we want to get a front grip, as it's a more natural position, and seems to support the barrel better.

Lots of great ammo. Cream of the crop? Black Hills.

I use a dog's breakfast of M193 for training. I have oodles of Norma, Federal and even our own Bobcat Ammo and PC out of Hobart.

I use that Speer Gold Dot in my Colt M6721 (they have the 1:9 twists) for "urban DMR". Great cartridge and fantastic projectile.

For DMR out of my Colt A4s (20", 1:7 twist) I use that Hornady 68 grainer BTHP. Getting just over 2MOA with it. Plenty happy with 2MOA from prone for me.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We've also decided we want to get a front grip, as it's a more natural position, and seems to support the barrel better.

Ok, sure, but use this as a threshold test: does putting crap on the weapon solve a problem for me is it just Captain Tacticalpants Cargo Cult crap?

Me, don't really like the broomstick. I do have one on a Colt M6940 and a SIG516 Variant 1.0. I like having a clean fore end when I suck up to cover and, like shoe models, less is more.

Some guys want to drag their weapon through the Brownell's catalogue. America! Each to his own. I am on the Spartan side. That's my thing.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    We don't want to accessorize, just for the sake of doing it. If it is beneficial, and serves an actual personal purpose, then it might be worth having something hanging off. Without the grip, it strains the forearm because of the twisting, and seems to make the barrel heavy after holding it a short time. Holding it with a grip, keeps the strain off the forearm, and seems to balance the front a little better. And I suppose if the ammo ran out, I could snap off the grip, and throw it at the assailant. Kidding, of course.

I've been searching for ammo, and a lot of places are sold out. Maybe it's a sign to go grab another case?

You're thinking wisely yes

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We don't want to accessorize, just for the sake of doing it. If it is beneficial, and serves an actual personal purpose, then it might be worth having something hanging off. Without the grip, it strains the forearm because of the twisting, and seems to make the barrel heavy after holding it a short time. Holding it with a grip, keeps the strain off the forearm, and seems to balance the front a little better. And I suppose if the ammo ran out, I could snap off the grip, and throw it at the assailant. Kidding, of course.

I've been searching for ammo, and a lot of places are sold out. Maybe it's a sign to go grab another case?

It is twisting because your elbow is not under the piece where it belongs.

Do not Cargo Cult for the sake of John Frum, seek training, let your software select your hardware.

Top Bottom