Is a 45-70 1895 Marlin Dark Series a good compromise?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hello! It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here but I’m looking for some advice.

I’m on the hunt for a more compact rifle for a variety of uses. I’m looking for something to shoot coyotes with if they get too close to the house, something I can deer hunt with, something for a little bit larger game if I wanted to go on a hunt out west (which would also double for bear protection), and something I’d enjoy shooting recreationally. I’m not really into ARs and M1As are outside of my price range. I also grew up with lever guns and am very familiar with them.

I have a .270 Ruger American but I found I don’t care much for it at all. A large part of it comes from the recoil, the muzzle flip, and the overall size of it, which is why I’m asking about the 45-70 Dark series. What sort of recoil pad would help absorb felt recoil, would muzzle brakes work or be advised, etc.

I know there’s not a perfect gun and caliber for all uses, however, is this a good compromise for the intended uses I’m considering? Just need a little more education on this subject!

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I cannot speak for the Marlin Dark series, but I have a Marlin 1895SBL in 45-70. It will definitely kill coyotes and deer here in Indiana. I would feel confident with it in bear country. I will say that I like the 45-70 round. It is easy to load light recoiling loads for the range or for newer shooters, or you can load up for dinosaurs.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I can't speak for the dark series or 45-70, but I have a Marlin in 44mag, 30-30, and 35 Remington, any of those would fit the bill.
    The 35 Remington is a hammer, and fairly soft shooting.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Hornady LeverEvolution will be your best friend in .45-70 if recoil is a concern. The Marlin Dark was on my radar and then Henry came out with the X series so that's what I ended up with. I've only tried a suppressor and it takes the recoil some but I want to try a brake and see if it calms the a Underwood and HSM Bear stuff

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've been wanting an 1895 dark in 45/70 for about a year and half. They are always out of stock. Or I just don't want to find them in stock and spend more money! I have a .46 cal suppressor, brass and bullets ready to load 500 grain subsonic 45/70. Subsonic, suppressed lever gun in black.... YES PLEASE.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Do you want the practical answer or do you want a new firearm?

The practical answer is to buy a better stock for your .270.

A better new gun answer is to look at a .35 Remington if you are committed to a lever action. The .35 is more versatile and has less recoil.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I don't think a 45-70 would fit your hunt out west. The range would be limited I think to probably 200 yds (?). Out west I think you'd find the range to be longer on average.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    Guys, I have been hearing nothing but complaints about the new Marlins. They seem to have various defects now that Marlin sold out. The one I hear most is the sights being canted and loose.
    They also are swamped with returns for service.

If you want a good, modern 45-70 you should check out the new Winchesters or the Browning's. They are both now made in Japan by a super good company. Miroku. I have a 45-90 ( it will shoot 45-70's). I was told by several people , to include a long time Winchester collector, that these new manufactured models are better than the old pre-64's. The one I have is precision engineered. I love it, except its so damn heavy. Our nickname for her is "Barbell'.

Last edited:

mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    Guys, I have been hearing nothing but complaints about the new Marlins. They seem to have various defects now that Marlin sold out. The one I hear most is the sights being canted and loose.

If you want a good, modern 45-70 you should check out the new Winchesters or the Browning's. They are both now made in Japan by a super good company. Miroku. I have a 45-90 ( it will shoot 45-70's). I was told by several people , to include a long time Winchester collector, that these new manufactured models are better than the old pre-64's. The one I have is precision engineered. I love it, except its so damn heavy. Our nickname for her is "Barbell'.

Hmm, I’ll check that out. Been thinking about getting a 45-70 but not sure what to get. Weight is good, reduces the recoil, and good to know Winchester/Browning have a quality option.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Longtime Browning Lever Collector....
    Psssst.... Miroku has been building some rifles and shotguns for Browning since the late 1960's. Other than the new models like the BL22, firearms at Brownings USA Museum are reverse engineered and then put back in production. Funny things happen with reverse engineering, like when Browning re'released the 1886 rifle and carbine in the 90's the carbine ended up with the long range sight instead of the rifle. Because the one in the museum was that way and no one thought about it.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    People used to compete with 45-70 at 1000 yards. :dunno:

People still do, but not with Marlins. The will not take the load, and its not designed to, nor are the sights compatible for anything past a few hundred if that.
    Highwalls, Sharps, Maynards and a few other single shots are used for the most part. There are three loads shot in 45-70, Trapdoor loads, levers like the marlin and a few others and the Ruger #1, Modern Browning/Winchester 1886's and the B82/1885/BPCR Brownings, Sharps and a few other single shots.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have a JM stamped 1894c in 357 and a more recent 336 in 30-30. Nothing beats the smooth JM action, but I've found the 336 to be of acceptable quality. Finish is nowhere near as nice and the stock is not the old walnut stock, but I've never had a problem with it. I've shot it both with and without a suppressor. I have heard that the first few years the rifles were awful, but I think in recent years they have somewhat regained quality standards. For a hunting rifle that you don't consider an heirloom I would still probably go with Marlin because of the ease with which you can mount optics, and the side loading gate.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    The Marlin is limited on the OAL of the loaded round that the carrier can hold which limits the bullet weight you can load in the magazine. If you want a good 500 yard rifle look at the Winchester. If you want to hunt out west get a more modern caliber that is much more flat shooting as the .45-70 is in the ark to long letting the wind push it around.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    I have a JM stamped 1894c in 357 and a more recent 336 in 30-30. Nothing beats the smooth JM action, but I've found the 336 to be of acceptable quality. Finish is nowhere near as nice and the stock is not the old walnut stock, but I've never had a problem with it. I've shot it both with and without a suppressor. I have heard that the first few years the rifles were awful, but I think in recent years they have somewhat regained quality standards. For a hunting rifle that you don't consider an heirloom I would still probably go with Marlin because of the ease with which you can mount optics, and the side loading gate.

JM stamped Marlins are the "old" marlins. They are nice rifles. The new ones, I hear are not nice.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

My brother and I each picked up a pair of Marlin 1895's on clearance at Walmart a couple years ago. We paid $250 each, after rebate. They are beautiful rifles and neither has any flaws. Maybe we got lucky, but they both are great shooters and have nice wood. The action on them is really nice, too.

I haven't heard of the dark series. Sounds like it might be pretty neat looking. I personally like the all weather version in silver. I think Chris Pratt had one in the Jurassic World movie, for...you guessed it: Killing dinosaurs! Lol!

Top Bottom