• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zxc789

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2020
    indiana
    It doesn"t appear that there s a discussion thread on the Sub 2000. Nice little folding rifle. Any stories, pointers, etc?

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I have one, it's a bit of an oddball and suffers from a lot of keltec stereotypes, but can be helped with some aftermarket. They tend to feel a bit snappy due to being a tube gun, the cheek weld is all not very good, and the sights are really low (think red dot on an AR without a riser). To help with the snapping of recoil I got a small rubber buffer and heavier charging handle to keep the bolt from slamming into the plastic of the stock and to slow it down, I also added a rubber sleeve to the tube to keep me from hving to rest my face on the metal. You can find a lot of after market stuff from MCARBO.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Just bought one, like it so far, but really wanted a lever gun in .357, but the KT was cheaper... I've put about 100 rounds through three different mags, fed great, only 115FMJ though so far.....Added a red dot, with an offset mount, that still allows it to fold. I like keeping it a back pack, and taking it with me when I go out, especially now with all the stupid crap happening....get one! I like mine..

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've had mine for 10 years and still love it. Like Nickbau5 stated earlier, it is a little different and takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's a pretty nice shooter.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Bought one of the very first and called Kel-Tec about the stiff recoil spring. Was told that they were designed for +P+ ammo and that if I wanted I could either send it in for a spring change or they would send me the spring and I could do it myself. They were super nice about it and a couple of days after talking to their customer service I had a new spring in the mail.

Also added a soft rubber pad to the back of the stock as it is a good snappy kicker.

attachment.php

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I've been looking really hard at one of these. The multi-mag version would work with either my Canik or M&P9 pistol mags. MCarbo will sell you one with almost every upgrade they make already done.

Looking forward to reading what actual owners have to say about them.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Did you take advantage of the gen 1 recall? I got mine as a gen 2.5, wasn't the gen 1 issue something to do with the barrel or something?

They had an issue in 2017 with certain gen1 and gen2s that were produced.

Yes, something to do with the barrel (wasn't properly heat treated from 3rd party vendor or something like that) I checked it out when I learned of it, pretty sure that was thanks to:ingo: mine was not affected.

Thanks for looking out though!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I like mine. Got it in a laptop bag along with my Glock 17 and a plethora of spare magazines when I take a road trip up to Indy to visit my daughter or further north for the in-laws. Makes a great little package for traveling. I know it isn't a battle rifle but would suffice in a pinch...

I put some lead tape around the bolt handle and need to get a rubber buffer in for the snappy recoil and reduce the wear and tear. Mine is a Gen 2, so I can put my 9mm suppressor on the end when I don't want to wear muffs too. Sights seem okay to me, nothing great but functional and the only other thing I have done is some rubber tape to the buffer tube for my cheek.

Basically, mine is not a regular shooter I take to the range much, just often enough to stay familiar since it prefers factory jacketed ammo over my cast handloads. My 9mm AR is more fun with the suppressor and quieter with my 155 grain handloads. The 147 grain +P hollowpoints are not all that quiet and too expensive to shoot very much, but are what stays in the travel magazines. It will eat up plain old 115 grain ball all day long though.

Romero Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a Kel Tec Sub-9. Most people have never heard of them. It is the predecessor of the Sub 2000. Basically the same gun but built with a metal receiver instead of polymer. I don’t think they made too many before going with the cheaper to produce poly receivers. If I remember correctly the serial number on mine is under 1500. I’ve looked on Armslist couple times to see what they sell for but no luck. Mine takes Glock 17 mags. I love it by the way!

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Had a gen 2, regret ever buying it. It will slap you silly without spending far more $$ than its worth in aftermarket upgrades. It folds in half, ya cool, but is overpriced and needs too much to make it a plesant shooter.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I bought a new gen 2 about a year ago. Uses Glock 17 magazines. After a couple of months I bought some M*CARBO upgrades and installed them. I like the fact it uses the same magazines as my EDC Glock 17. I handload 9mm and it eats them just fine. The Sub 2000 carries nicely in my Maxpedition Falcon 2 backpack.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Had a gen 2, regret ever buying it. It will slap you silly without spending far more $$ than its worth in aftermarket upgrades. It folds in half, ya cool, but is overpriced and needs too much to make it a plesant shooter.

If you want to sell it for a fair price PM me. I love mine.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Bought my Sub-2000 9mm Gen 2 over a year ago. Was a complete internet gun store impulse buy as the price was simply way to good to pass up. Always wanted one for a vacation and or vehicle gun because it was so compact. After I received it had a fair case of buyers remorse as I felt it because of the sights and the ergonomics of it I would be hard pressed to hit much at anything beyond 40 maybe 50 yards. Cleaned it extremely well, put it in the back corner of my safe and laterally forgot about it. I did think about taking it on vacation a few times but never got out to sight it in so it stayed home.

Went shooting last Monday with my boys and finally brought My Kel Tec Sub-2000 with me. Honestly wasn't expecting much and would've been happy with minuet of bad guy at 25-50 yards. WOW is all I can say, this little gun can shoot and runs like a fat kid for free cupcakes. Sighting in at 25 yards from the bench I was getting 2-2.5" five shot groups and nothing bigger then 3.5" at 50 yards. Gun was dead on center and only 2" low from the factory. Once sighted on I was ringing the 8" and 10" steel plates at my range at 75 yards with boring ease.

Fed it a mix magazines of Federal, Winchester, S&B, Herters, CCI, Remington, Fiocchi, Browning, some Serb ammo I bought on line, in 115, 124 and 147grn both FMJ and HP. Over 400 rounds in all and not so much as a hiccup it ran flawlessly. Absolutely love the thing. Now have it in a 18" laptop case with three 33 round Glock mags and are taking it everywhere with me that I can.

Can not be happier with it and it's one of the best firearms I have ever bought. Great piece of mind as well having a take almost anywhere carbine that is extremely easy to conceal lightning fast to deploy and has the equivalent of two 50 round boxes of 124 grain Federal HST on hand. Quite comforting in terms the security it will give my family and eye when traveling.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    it's a fun gun, my only gripe is the irons being so low, but I can understand why they are. I wanna try rigging op some sort of spring system to make it able to flip open on it's own, but I doubt it would work well, if at all, but would be a cool thing if it could.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Mine originally took S&W mags, but since i had a buttload of Ruger P-series mags, they all got a slot filed in them so they can go either in the Sub or the PC carbines or the P-series pistols. Yeah, the cheek weld takes some getting used to, but back in the day (before the new Ruger PC takedowns), if you wanted a compact 9 mm carbine, this was it.

Top Bottom