Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I still care....Really

User Info Menu

There is a product called Guncoat. Not sure who sells it any more but it is a baked on finish. I have even used it on motorcycle engines. Rock steady finish.

You will need access to a baking oven.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsn_mooney View Post
    I've had really good luck with alumahyde from Brownells. It's pretty durable, and comes in a ton of colors. It takes a while to cure but lately I have been curing it in an oven for a couple of hours at like 195° as specified on the can. If you give that a try, order the better nozzles for the can. I think it's a scam, but the nozzles that come on the cans seem to clog easily- but the ones that they sell don't. Good luck
    That looks like it might be a good alternative to standard spray cans.
    Anything is possible

Plinker

User Info Menu

What are some negatives of standard spray can? Should I avoid just going to the local Lowes, grabbing some matte finish paint and spray it up with that?

Not specifically looking to do it that way, just wondering what the draw backs would be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrettonJudy7 View Post
    What are some negatives of standard spray can? Should I avoid just going to the local Lowes, grabbing some matte finish paint and spray it up with that?

Not specifically looking to do it that way, just wondering what the draw backs would be.
    My guess is that some solvents would clean the paint off with the rest of the crud, but maybe not.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

Camo jobs for me are just stocks, not the metal.
    Spray can w matte clear over.

User Info Menu

I've been wanting to rattle can a rifle or two for years now, but haven't brought myself to do one. Hoping to paint my daughters MP15-22 soon. It's a factory mossy oak camo design. She wants it to be purple instead. Probably just go to Menards and find something that will stick to plastic fairly well.

User Info Menu

Durakote has worked OK for me on two shotgun receivers.
    But Brownells is out of the aerosol version and has been, forever.
    Not cheap for the little can either.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with that I personally prefer aervoe but I've used krylon and rustolem before.

Downsides of spray paint it wears faster but some like the "battle tested" look. Takes about a week before it stops feeling sticky.

Positives you can change it up when you want. If you don't like it and are thinking what have I done all it takes is a day, toothbrush, and acetone.

User Info Menu

No drawback other than you might have to give it a little freshening up occasionally.

Despite what CM, my friend, says, I've had good luck with duracoat. I did sandblast to prepare the surface and applied it myself with an airbrush. Suface prep is gonna be the key to adhesion for almost any coating.

If you can afford the freight, AllenM does stellar Ceracoat work.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but since it's your rifle and it's something you're considering, I would definitely recommend using a good quality paint that's either baked on like Alumahyde, or is at least heat resistant. I know Krylon makes a line of "camouflage" spray paint that has a lot of muted earth tones that you may consider.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast