• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I recently just completed an XM177E2 build. I've some folks who have painted theris. Either some jungle camo, green, or some desert camo. That really got me thinking about painting rifles. I've never done it before, but have several AR's that I would be willing to try this on. So, some questions arose, that I thought would be best asked to Ingo users.

Have you painted your rifle before?
    If so, what color did you choose?
    Did you choose the color/pattern based on your area that you reside? Or based on trying to achieve a certain look?
    What are your suggestions for rifle paints and patterns?
    Suggestions for patterns based on the area that you live?

Just curious about this, and eager to see what others have done previously.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Have not done any camo or pattern painting, but have done two surplus pistols and a 70 year old 22 rifle. Used DuraCoat on all three. I chose DuraCoat because I could do it myself with the equipment I have. It does not require baking. Check out their website. https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/
    I have been impressed with the durability of the finish.
    414068682.jpg

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I've painted a couple I always use aervoe paint browns and greens. Aervoe holds up pretty good takes a good week to cure though and if you don't like or want to change it up all it takes is acetone.

For camo I use the lightest color first as a "base coat" then the other colors I spray in a strip pattern sometimes I use a cut up net material.

Wish I had pics to show but the only ar I have that is painted right now is just a solid brown color.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dura Coat is not the way to go. Never had any luck with it so I choose to have my gear Ceracoated. It is much better than Dura coat because it is a baked on finish.
    AllenM does all of my work. And it is exemplary.

If you want it to last go Ceracoat. If you do not care then rattle can it.....:dunno:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You could also look into hydro dipping it.

Low cost is, like CM said, rattle can.

If I was going to do anything to an AR (if I owed one), it would either be spend some money on a proper finish or buy a couple cans of paint and unleash my artistic side.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Dura Coat is not the way to go. Never had any luck with it so I choose to have my gear Ceracoated. It is much better than Dura coat because it is a baked on finish.
    AllenM does all of my work. And it is exemplary.

If you want it to last go Ceracoat. If you do not care then rattle can it.....:dunno:

I've been mulling over rattle can more so than Ceracoat. Kind of make the rifle a bit unique to myself. I've been watching some of GarandThumbs videos on how he paints his rifles.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I've had really good luck with alumahyde from Brownells. It's pretty durable, and comes in a ton of colors. It takes a while to cure but lately I have been curing it in an oven for a couple of hours at like 195° as specified on the can. If you give that a try, order the better nozzles for the can. I think it's a scam, but the nozzles that come on the cans seem to clog easily- but the ones that they sell don't. Good luck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a product called Guncoat. Not sure who sells it any more but it is a baked on finish. I have even used it on motorcycle engines. Rock steady finish.

You will need access to a baking oven.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've had really good luck with alumahyde from Brownells. It's pretty durable, and comes in a ton of colors. It takes a while to cure but lately I have been curing it in an oven for a couple of hours at like 195° as specified on the can. If you give that a try, order the better nozzles for the can. I think it's a scam, but the nozzles that come on the cans seem to clog easily- but the ones that they sell don't. Good luck

That looks like it might be a good alternative to standard spray cans.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    What are some negatives of standard spray can? Should I avoid just going to the local Lowes, grabbing some matte finish paint and spray it up with that?

Not specifically looking to do it that way, just wondering what the draw backs would be.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What are some negatives of standard spray can? Should I avoid just going to the local Lowes, grabbing some matte finish paint and spray it up with that?

Not specifically looking to do it that way, just wondering what the draw backs would be.

My guess is that some solvents would clean the paint off with the rest of the crud, but maybe not.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've been wanting to rattle can a rifle or two for years now, but haven't brought myself to do one. Hoping to paint my daughters MP15-22 soon. It's a factory mossy oak camo design. She wants it to be purple instead. Probably just go to Menards and find something that will stick to plastic fairly well.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson

Nothing wrong with that I personally prefer aervoe but I've used krylon and rustolem before.

Downsides of spray paint it wears faster but some like the "battle tested" look. Takes about a week before it stops feeling sticky.

Positives you can change it up when you want. If you don't like it and are thinking what have I done all it takes is a day, toothbrush, and acetone.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

No drawback other than you might have to give it a little freshening up occasionally.

Despite what CM, my friend, says, I've had good luck with duracoat. I did sandblast to prepare the surface and applied it myself with an airbrush. Suface prep is gonna be the key to adhesion for almost any coating.

If you can afford the freight, AllenM does stellar Ceracoat work.

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    Personally, I wouldn't do it, but since it's your rifle and it's something you're considering, I would definitely recommend using a good quality paint that's either baked on like Alumahyde, or is at least heat resistant. I know Krylon makes a line of "camouflage" spray paint that has a lot of muted earth tones that you may consider.

Top Bottom