Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Painting Rifles. Suggestions?

I recently just completed an XM177E2 build. I've some folks who have painted theris. Either some jungle camo, green, or some desert camo. That really got me thinking about painting rifles. I've never done it before, but have several AR's that I would be willing to try this on. So, some questions arose, that I thought would be best asked to Ingo users.

Have you painted your rifle before?
    If so, what color did you choose?
    Did you choose the color/pattern based on your area that you reside? Or based on trying to achieve a certain look?
    What are your suggestions for rifle paints and patterns?
    Suggestions for patterns based on the area that you live?

Just curious about this, and eager to see what others have done previously.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Have not done any camo or pattern painting, but have done two surplus pistols and a 70 year old 22 rifle. Used DuraCoat on all three. I chose DuraCoat because I could do it myself with the equipment I have. It does not require baking. Check out their website. https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/
    I have been impressed with the durability of the finish.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I've painted a couple I always use aervoe paint browns and greens. Aervoe holds up pretty good takes a good week to cure though and if you don't like or want to change it up all it takes is acetone.

For camo I use the lightest color first as a "base coat" then the other colors I spray in a strip pattern sometimes I use a cut up net material.

Wish I had pics to show but the only ar I have that is painted right now is just a solid brown color.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Dura Coat is not the way to go. Never had any luck with it so I choose to have my gear Ceracoated. It is much better than Dura coat because it is a baked on finish.
    AllenM does all of my work. And it is exemplary.

If you want it to last go Ceracoat. If you do not care then rattle can it.....
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

You could also look into hydro dipping it.

Low cost is, like CM said, rattle can.

If I was going to do anything to an AR (if I owed one), it would either be spend some money on a proper finish or buy a couple cans of paint and unleash my artistic side.🙂
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

leave it black...dirty it up by shooting the heck out of it (or dragging it down a gravel driveway) that'll add some distressed "color" to it😎
    sauce will thicken upon standing

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Dura Coat is not the way to go. Never had any luck with it so I choose to have my gear Ceracoated. It is much better than Dura coat because it is a baked on finish.
    AllenM does all of my work. And it is exemplary.

If you want it to last go Ceracoat. If you do not care then rattle can it.....

I've been mulling over rattle can more so than Ceracoat. Kind of make the rifle a bit unique to myself. I've been watching some of GarandThumbs videos on how he paints his rifles.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler-The-Piker View Post
    leave it black...dirty it up by shooting the heck out of it (or dragging it down a gravel driveway) that'll add some distressed "color" to it
    My ultimate desire... Just takes having access to an outdoor range whenever I want. I shoot out at the Sowders a bit, but never enough to satisfy...

User Info Menu

I've had really good luck with alumahyde from Brownells. It's pretty durable, and comes in a ton of colors. It takes a while to cure but lately I have been curing it in an oven for a couple of hours at like 195° as specified on the can. If you give that a try, order the better nozzles for the can. I think it's a scam, but the nozzles that come on the cans seem to clog easily- but the ones that they sell don't. Good luck

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast