• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is an extension of doddg .22lr Range Fun in the handgun forum. Except this is for rifles.
    Post your pictures and talk about your .22lr rifles and the ammo you shoot.
    Most important thing is to have fun.

Here is my .22lr rifle.

It is stock other than a trigger job to lighten the pull a few years ago.

Here are some results from this rifle.

I have a thread in the Ammunition and Reloading forum with velocity and group sizes posted from the above rifle.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/482374-22lr-velocity-test.html

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    This one did .4 at 50 yards w SK rifle match,
    The vertical grip was fine off the bench but annoyed me for field, so parted it out.

Titan stock, GM heavy 19 taper, Volq hammer. Think the action was from '85 (like new).

[FONT=&amp]
    s4pnB2B.jpg
    [/FONT]

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Tikka T1x all targets shot at 50 yds.
    CZyjdC2.jpg

t4Y3Sd1.jpg

cvdH7VR.jpg

8LpfgyG.jpg

Ignore hole in upper left, that was first shot before adjusting zero.
    10/22 with tiger stock
    dqERyue.jpg

fWyI7O8.jpg

Need to drag them out and get some newer pics, of both of these and the Ruger American. Also need to get out and shoot some groups of some newer ammo, got some time off work for the next couple of weeks so don't have any excuses for not doing it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm not big on range fun but shooting steel with any of my .22lr rifles is a blast. Love seeing those targets others with better eyes and more skill can shoot.

My eyes suck so to make up for that I use good glass. Makes all the difference in the world. Also those targets were shot off sandbags to take the human factor out as much as possible. Plus having over 40 years experience helps!
    Yeah, steel is a load of fun. For every round I put on paper, I put probably 4 or 5 on steel. On my backyard range I've got about a dozen steel targets, 2" and 4" circles, 2" and 4" squares, 2x4" "tombstones", and a few silhouettes ranging from 25 to 75 yards.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Most of these have been posted in other threads.

Kidd 18" barreled action and trigger group in Victor Titan stock with Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x44 scope and SK Long Range Match ammo.

rypXodN.jpg

Best 5 shots at 50yds...

jM2mdXl.jpg

A few at 100yds...

fsIxBuN.jpg

7OSsJKH.jpg

Just started playing at 200 yds on a windy day, 20 rounds...

TbJidGR.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Currently playing around with some Tippmann .22 AR's at the moment. A rifle and a pistol, both are good shooters so far, but barely over 100 rounds thru each. My go to ammo is CCI Standard Velocity, but will do some further testing with Aguila SV as well.

The rifle is the Pro series with a composite handguard, but will soon have an aluminum to replace it. Scope is a refurb PST 2.5-10x32 in a Brownells (Warne) mount. My first outing produced (3) 5-shot groups that were sub-moa at 50 yards.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The pistol version is just cool and although isn't setup for accuracy testing, I gave it a go laying prone at 25 yards with a 2moa Sig MSR red dot. I was pleased with the results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    John I really like that tiger stock. That is some fine shooting.

I'm thinking about buying a few of them self-healing targets to shoot at. A bird, a prairie dog target. Ive never used them do they actually work? How do they last if using a 22lr?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015078234?pid=632567

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015074996?pid=416131

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015079225

Thanks! That 10/22 originally started out as my wife's, then she decided she wanted a bolt action instead. So I got it back. Actually its not a bad shooter, about 1- 1.5 MOA with a few different types of ammo, and it definitely prefers HV. I did replace the trigger group with a BX25 trigger. Made a huge improvement over the stock one.

As far as the targets, a few people I know have them and like them. Very durable as long as you don't leave them out in the sun for months.

Most of these have been posted in other threads.

Kidd 18" barreled action and trigger group in Victor Titan stock with Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x44 scope and SK Long Range Match ammo.

rypXodN.jpg

Best 5 shots at 50yds...

jM2mdXl.jpg

A few at 100yds...

fsIxBuN.jpg

7OSsJKH.jpg

Just started playing at 200 yds on a windy day, 20 rounds...

TbJidGR.jpg

That's real good for 200! :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got a membership at Marion County Fish & Game.
    This is the 2nd time I've got to shot 100 yds.
    I can't see where my shots are going at 100 yds.
    The Nikon 10x50 binos aren't enough & the scopes on the rifles aren't enough either.
    I will need to buy a spotting scope.

Today, and older man was there shooting with a spotting scope & he would let me know where my POI was so I could adjust the scope.
    When I tried looking through it, it wasn't magnified enough for my eyes to pick up where the rounds were hitting.
    I got most of the adjustments last week, but fine-tuned it this week.

The red is same size as a clay pigeon (4.3").
    Ruger 10/22 @ 100 yds with a Nikon scope:
    joJISEd.jpg

Ruger Precision Rifle @ 100 yds. with a Hawke scope:
    DH7oQ1w.jpg

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    doddg...it wasn't very far back when you couldn't imagine shooting 50 yards and now you're doing 100 and making great progress. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg...it wasn't very far back when you couldn't imagine shooting 50 yards and now you're doing 100 and making great progress. :thumbsup:

That's encouraging! :thumbsup:
    I want to get as good as I can with the rifle/scope that I've got.
    I must get a spotting scope right away, since I can't see where my POI is with my scopes or binos.
    I was really lucky that other guy was there who spotted my shots for me, which enabled me to fine-tune.
    That's what was missing last week & why it took so long to end up where I did.

You could tell he enjoyed helping someone out that was inexperienced.
    It made the time so enjoyable having him to talk with.
    The only thing I could offer was some white spray paint I brought for the steel plates he was shooting. :laugh:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm a huge fan of 22LR.

This one is my favorite. It's a CZ 455 with an Area 419 30MOA rail and Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 (and Q El Camino Suppressor). It seems to like CCI SV. I don't really shoot for groups as much as I just like hearing steel ring with it.

IMG_7556-M.jpg

IMG_4126-M.jpg

My least favorite, but rifle I've had since I was twelve is this 10-22. It has Tech Sights, extended mag release, and apparently I drilled the trigger out at some point and put a set screw in it for an overtravel stop. I got myself some nice patches with it a few weeks ago at my first Appleseed using Norma Tac-22.

thumbnail_D4A79565-9DEE-4C1B-854F-42D83F045B99-M.jpg

I just bought a Bergara BXR Carbon, but have only had it out for a test fire. I just threw a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on it, but don't have any photos or real range report yet.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm a huge fan of 22LR.

This one is my favorite. It's a CZ 455 with an Area 419 30MOA rail and Vortex PST Gen II 5-25 (and Q El Camino Suppressor). It seems to like CCI SV. I don't really shoot for groups as much as I just like hearing steel ring with it.

My least favorite, but rifle I've had since I was twelve is this 10-22. It has Tech Sights, extended mag release, and apparently I drilled the trigger out at some point and put a set screw in it for an overtravel stop. I got myself some nice patches with it a few weeks ago at my first Appleseed using Norma Tac-22.

I just bought a Bergara BXR Carbon, but have only had it out for a test fire. I just threw a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on it, but don't have any photos or real range report yet.

Just today, at MCFG, I was shooting at the range with a couple of other guys to my right & left.
    One of them was busy with his rifle & I asked him what it was.
    He said it was a CZ 455 with a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 scope he got at a great $280 price.
    He was only doing some work at 50 yds, and was complaining that CCI SV might be OK for handguns but it just wasn't getting the job done with the 455.

I was just using some Armscor 36 grain HP HV (saving my CCI SV that I had with me), so I kept my mouth shut. :)
    Earlier, the other guy was shooting an ancient Cooper semi-auto, and had asked me if I liked the Armscor that he saw me using.
    It didn't do well for him.
    Aguila Super Extra & CCI Blazer did work well for him though, when I mentioned them, along with CCI SV that I used.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Finally got a membership at Marion County Fish & Game.
    This is the 2nd time I've got to shot 100 yds.
    I can't see where my shots are going at 100 yds.
    The Nikon 10x50 binos aren't enough & the scopes on the rifles aren't enough either.
    I will need to buy a spotting scope.

Today, and older man was there shooting with a spotting scope & he would let me know where my POI was so I could adjust the scope.
    When I tried looking through it, it wasn't magnified enough for my eyes to pick up where the rounds were hitting.
    I got most of the adjustments last week, but fine-tuned it this week.

The red is same size as a clay pigeon (4.3").
    Ruger 10/22 @ 100 yds with a Nikon scope:
    joJISEd.jpg

Ruger Precision Rifle @ 100 yds. with a Hawke scope:
    DH7oQ1w.jpg

Mighty good for your second time. Whole lot different than 50, isn't it? ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Mighty good for your second time. Whole lot different than 50, isn't it? ;)

Oh my!
    50 yds is fine, like I expected after doing 25 yds. at Point Blank, and my other range only went up to 17 yds.
    100 yds is real. Picking up a spotting scope Sunday b/c w/o one I can't see my POI, and that's frustrating & no fun at all!
    The red stickers on a role help, I'm going to order some of those also.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh my!
    50 yds is fine, like I expected after doing 25 yds. at Point Blank, and my other range only went up to 17 yds.
    100 yds is real. Picking up a spotting scope Sunday b/c w/o one I can't see my POI, and that's frustrating & no fun at all!
    The red stickers on a role help, I'm going to order some of those also.

Nice shooting doddg! You could try some "splatter" or "Shoot-n-see" targets. They're easier to tell where you're hitting at distance.

Top Bottom