• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So part of me really wants to get a 308 ar-10. I have no real reason but would like to make it the workhorse rifle. Thinking a 1x6 scope. I guess the problem is right now is a crapy time to buy a gun and ammo which I have none of in this caliber. On the flip side I could buy another AR and do the same thing.

Currently have a DD SBR in 556 and a SW in 556 that is set up with a big scope for long distance. Looking to fill the gap. Already have a 308 suppressor too but not really a bonus as I can still use it on a 556. I guess it's the ammo that scares me right now more then anything. I have 556 in plenty

I was leaning toward the Saint Victor in 308 or the S&W open to other brands as well but would like to stay in the $1,300 give or take a few hundred. Main goal would be to have a rifle that runs well suppressed as 99% will be shooting that way.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    A 6.5 Grendel is what you're really looking for.
    This. While .308 has a special place in my heart, it is outclassed by new rounds that can do its job but better. If you are looking for something to do actual work (that isn't slapping level 4 plates with M993) then 6.5 is a better alternative.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I will be the one to steer you to the .308.

Are you going to look at it or shoot it? If you are going to shoot then the 7.62 x 51 is a more common round and the platform will outlast the 6.5's not to mention cost.

The smaller you neck down the round the more physical decay you will have in the throat. With .308 and .30-06 it takes about 1000 rounds to get a TE of 1. The Grendel and Creedmores could only wish for that kind of lifespan.

Price the ammo, add in the cost of new barrels and see what the figures tell you. Even now, in this environment, I can go to my LGS and buy .308 (JSP or FMJ) for $16.50 for 20...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I agree with Mongo. .308 is usually plentiful and way more cheap than the boutique calibers.
    The price of surplus .308 was just starting to get back down to "normal" when the newest panic struck.
    The boutiques will never be available at those prices. So if you want to shoot it a lot, there is no question on which to go with.
    If you are only got to shoot it enough to sight it in then hunt with it, the the ammo price really doesn't matter. Get what you want.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    I don't see where you guys are saying .308 is cheaper than 6.5 grendel. Looking at outdoor limited at steel on both (brown bear for .308 and wolf military classic for 6.5 Grendel) they are the same price ( 50 CPR) and same shipping to indiana. You can get quality barrels for the same price, .308 or 6.5.

As for barrel wear, any high pressure cartridge will erode the throat quicker. .22-250 will decimate a barrel compared to .223 but that doesn't mean it isn't better in use cases (look at what it does to level III).

As for the person who suggestion an M1A, good troll but don't do that. This guy already has AR-15s which means he already has the manual of arms down for an AR platform. Not to mention the modularity to use case. Even in an EBR chassis the M1A fails to compare. Not only that but Springfield has their head so far up their own bums as far as pricing goes. He could take that money he saves on the AR choice and put it to ammo and training.

Don't get me wrong, I love .308 battle rifles but there is just better stuff out there for the same price that makes it a hard choice for a WORKHORSE rifle. That is what we have to remember here, it isn't about cool, it isn't about preference, its a workhorse rifle.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't shoot steel case ammo out of anything except the AKs.
    Milsurp brass ammo for .308 was down to what? around 30 cents a round before the crisis, it was even cheaper than that not that long ago? How much does 6.5 brass ammo go for?

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    Milsurp brass ammo for .308 was down to what? around 30 cents a round before the crisis, it was even cheaper than that not that long ago? How much does 6.5 brass ammo go for?
    63 CPR, but what you shoot means nothing. It will be whatever's OP wants to shoot. Also OP is talking about buying now, not 6 months ago. I bought my mosin for 89 before they started drying up, doesn't mean I can get one for less than 250 NOW.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I can shoot cheap steel and hold around 2 Moa in my pinned and welded 13.7" 6.5grendel though. Similar effective range as a 16"308. Much lighter package overall. I've shot a box of Hornady black in 4 5 round groups that were all under 1" in the same rifle. I wish I had a case of that lot...

I keep looking at an m1a at the lgs, I just can't talk myself into it.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    I can shoot cheap steel and hold around 2 Moa in my pinned and welded 13.7" 6.5grendel though. Similar effective range as a 16"308. Much lighter package overall. I've shot a box of Hornady black in 4 5 round groups that were all under 1" in the same rifle. I wish I had a case of that lot...

I keep looking at an m1a at the lgs, I just can't talk myself into it.
    M1As have a cool factor all their own. I am partial to the original M14 config. If you have the extra dish just go for it man. Worst comes to worse you can horse trade it.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I will need to check out the FAL. I think the M1’s are nice and have looked into them before but there is really no easy way that I know of to fit the suppressor.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    FALs are real NATO but you have never told us what you mean by a workhorse gun. If we knew that it would be easier to narrow down what you need. Still .308 is outperformed by a lot of better options depending on use case

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So part of me really wants to get a 308 ar-10. I have no real reason but would like to make it the workhorse rifle. Thinking a 1x6 scope. I guess the problem is right now is a crapy time to buy a gun and ammo which I have none of in this caliber. On the flip side I could buy another AR and do the same thing.

Currently have a DD SBR in 556 and a SW in 556 that is set up with a big scope for long distance. Looking to fill the gap. Already have a 308 suppressor too but not really a bonus as I can still use it on a 556. I guess it's the ammo that scares me right now more then anything. I have 556 in plenty

I was leaning toward the Saint Victor in 308 or the S&W open to other brands as well but would like to stay in the $1,300 give or take a few hundred. Main goal would be to have a rifle that runs well suppressed as 99% will be shooting that way.

I was thinking 308 or 7.62x39.
    I'm set up well in 308 so I built me a AR10 308. I put a vortex 2-7 scope to put on it and it worked out good. I also decided to add a vortex venom RDS to it for faster up close shots. I've even dialed it back to 2x and you can shoot with both eyes open and hit your target.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I don't see where you guys are saying .308 is cheaper than 6.5 grendel. Looking at outdoor limited at steel on both (brown bear for .308 and wolf military classic for 6.5 Grendel) they are the same price ( 50 CPR) and same shipping to indiana. You can get quality barrels for the same price, .308 or 6.5.

As for barrel wear, any high pressure cartridge will erode the throat quicker. .22-250 will decimate a barrel compared to .223 but that doesn't mean it isn't better in use cases (look at what it does to level III).

As for the person who suggestion an M1A, good troll but don't do that. This guy already has AR-15s which means he already has the manual of arms down for an AR platform. Not to mention the modularity to use case. Even in an EBR chassis the M1A fails to compare. Not only that but Springfield has their head so far up their own bums as far as pricing goes. He could take that money he saves on the AR choice and put it to ammo and training.

Don't get me wrong, I love .308 battle rifles but there is just better stuff out there for the same price that makes it a hard choice for a WORKHORSE rifle. That is what we have to remember here, it isn't about cool, it isn't about preference, its a workhorse rifle.

Workhorse you say? The M14 and all of its variants have been in service with the Army and Marine Corps since July of 1959.... Longest serving service rifle in US history.
    Thousands of standard M14's served in just Afghanistan.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    Workhorse you say? The M14 and all of its variants have been in service with the Army and Marine Corps since July of 1959.... Longest serving service rifle in US history.
    Thousands of standard M14's served in just Afghanistan.
    Curse of the ordnance corps. Just because the army or socom uses something doesn't mean its good. Look at how awful the SCAR-H is for the money.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, when the SHTF .308 owners can glean brass with a shovel while any 6.5 owner will be using a magnifying glass and a baggie. Is that you are calling a workhorse? Just saying...

Top Bottom