• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In the past I've debated on selling my AK, but always backed out of the idea. Now I'm seeing everything all bought up all around me so I'm wondering if now would be a better time to try to offload any guns that aren't getting used much. I've never been an AK guy and while I like the gun, I just don't find myself ever shooting it. Have any of you here sold a gun on gunbroker and had it shipped through a local FFL?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've wondered the same thing.
    I have a Polytech "Legend" that I bought in the late 80's just before Drug Czar (and phony conservative) Bill Bennett stopped the import of.
    It's been a safe queen for many years and maybe has 500 rounds of Non-Corrosive ammo only through it.

Last edited:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    If the latest South Bend gun show is any indication, they are trying to get top dollar. Haven't seen any at several LGS so they must sell as soon as they come in, just like everything else now.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a Polytech "Legend" that I bought in the late 80's just before Drug Czar (and phony conservative) Bill Bennett stopped the import of.
    It's been a safe queen for many years and maybe has 500 rounds through it.

I've got a DDI with all the magpul furniture with not many more rounds through it than what you're describing. I just never get it out anymore.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have sold on gunbroker many times.
    If I were to sell an AK, that is where I would put it right now.
    As far as shipping a rifle, you do not need to use an FFL to ship it.
    I always put it on the buyer too make sure his FFL will receive from an individual and I include a photocopy of my DL with the rifle.

Because of scammers there are a number of buyers that will not buy something expensive from a non rated seller.
    In other words if you have no feedback on GB it may be harder for you to sell something expensive.
    Before I started selling, I made 4 small purchases on GB to get my feedback "up" before I started selling.

Edit: I have been a registered user on GB since 2004 with 73 positive feedbacks.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well most everyone is sold out and quality imports are not happening soon. Base models are now around $700. We are a decade past the $379 Dunhams WASR specials but thankfully the quality has vastly improved. GB auctions are insane and listings on armslist are crazy, though probably at market. i saw a couple Romanian SAR-1 rifled listed for over $1,000. These are sought after I know but it was eye opening.

I am at that point in life when I realize I have too much stuff. Couple that with getting into estate planning and it is time to do a hard cleanse of stuff I don't use. After all, do I really need a different AK for each day of the week? Not counting pistol versions, non standard calibers, shotguns, etc.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

I'm sure some guys on here would love to own that.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    OP, most DDI guns are not held in high regard by AK enthusiasts, so with the deluge of new shooters, new gun owners, and those generally new to AKs, this is as good a time as any to dump it.

GB is as easy as eBay to use minus the transfer process, but that's as easy as going to your FFL and paying them to do all the work. You'll also pay a seller's fee for a completed auction, so keep that in mind when thinking about a price. While a bit of a gamble on the seller's part, penny start auctions with no reserve tend to fetch higher prices than listing a "buy it now" and/or high reserve price. Like 223 Gunner pointed out, you'll likely lose some potential buyers with a zero feedback account, but you can counter that by being transparent and detailed with your listing, and by uploading QUALITY, HIGH RESOLUTION photos (not blurry flip phone camera pics with your gnarled toes in the bottom of every image). You can also link to in your description or offer potential bidders a PM link to INGO or other places where you have a proven seller's track record. But with the gun market in general being so upside down crazy right now, you'll more than likely sell the DDI for a good price in your first GB attempt, feedback be damned - combing through completed auctions, several DDI AKs have sold for $1,000 and up.

I've bought and sold several firearms, ammunition, optics, and parts on GB and the only problem I've ever had was as a seller, when a NR (no rating) buyer ghosted after winning an auction. No biggie - GB makes it easy to appeal the seller's fee and relist the item.

Happy to chat more over PM if you have any questions about setting up a GB account or getting started with an auction.

TL;DR - yeah buddy, sell that thing right now while the gettin's good!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Nope, won't sell anything. Have several firearms, LOT's of ammo and reloading supplies, between my youngest son and I (He will be 50 this year). Haven't shot any since the Covid-19 hit in Feb., but hopefully a vaccine will be found soon and we will start shooting again, Probably only have enough for about 50 years!

We have all the firearms in safes, they are all cleaned and oiled and all operate properly. Been collecting / (hoarding) for many years. I think I have sold or traded around 4 firearm in my life (I'm 79), last one was several years ago. They don't eat anything and they will be passed down to my son's and maybe some grandsons!

I'll just wait until prices return to normal, then buy more, firearms, ammo and supplies. Don't need anything so can wait!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I sold some stuff I hadn't used the last few years. I think you'd do well on the AK. I'd have no reservations to sell if I were you. I'd probably start here on classifieds. Never used GB to sell.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch I've wondered the same thing.
    It's been a safe queen for many years and maybe has 500 rounds of Non-Corrosive ammo only through it.

I'm sure some guys on here would love to own that.

And if one of these "guys" ran a WTB ad and didn't want me to give it away, I'd consider selling it. ;)

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Originally Posted by edporch I've wondered the same thing.

And if one of these "guys" ran a WTB ad and didn't want me to give it away, I'd consider selling it. ;)

I don't run or reply to WTB ads, because of that exactly.
    Years ago I started a thread about WTB ads.
    The title was something along lines of "Do WTB ads really mean want to steal?"

And much like similar threads on price gouging and the current market, it was controversial to say the least.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been on gunbroker for a lot of years, not sure where to find out how many. I've got some feedback as a buyer, and everything has been good. There's a couple local FFL's that I can approach about having them ship and transfer. I was trying to find on gunbroker what their selling fees were exactly.

I always thought DDI had a decent reputation. Certainly not top tier, but pretty far from a century wasr. I think the model I bought was just north of $900 new years ago.

I've only tried a WTB ad here once and all I got was scammers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I don't run or reply to WTB ads, because of that exactly.
    Years ago I started a thread about WTB ads.
    The title was something along lines of "Do WTB ads really mean want to steal?"

And much like similar threads on price gouging and the current market, it was controversial to say the least.

I've tried the WTB thing a few times but never had much luck. I did however get my latest Mini-14 that way thanks to a few responses from members I was able to get a like new one for my A-TM folding stock.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've been on gunbroker for a lot of years, not sure where to find out how many. I've got some feedback as a buyer, and everything has been good. There's a couple local FFL's that I can approach about having them ship and transfer. I was trying to find on gunbroker what their selling fees were exactly.

I always thought DDI had a decent reputation. Certainly not top tier, but pretty far from a century wasr. I think the model I bought was just north of $900 new years ago.

I've only tried a WTB ad here once and all I got was scammers.

As far as I know, their fee structure is nothing like Ebay. Meaning not near as bad as Ebay.
    Ebay takes 10% then paypal takes another 4%. So on Ebay selling a $100 dollar item you will net $86 dollars, then if you're offering "Free shipping" you're out that money too.
    I do sell on Ebay on a regular basis, but only items that I got into really cheap or free.
    I have not sold anything on GB since 2016, but do have a couple of nice safe queen collector items I keep telling myself to get listed.
    Maybe I will get that done this coming weekend.

Last edited:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham

Depends on the model. Some earlier DDI guns were built using Bulgarian and Hungarian parts, and some were built under the Waffen Werks name (and WW is pretty much anathema in the AK world, but that's another story). Later guns went all-American and had some pretty high-profile bolt and extractor failures, among other issues. DDI's David Fillers was also a pretty lousy spokesman or ally to the AK community. And then DDI - and its warranty - went kaput.

I would take a newer WASR-10 or a 10/63 from any year of manufacture over an American-made DDI 1,000 times out of 1,000 times.

Do you know which model you have? Obviously the versions built on import parts kits will command a premium, but even if it's an American-made model this is the time to sell if you're thinking about it.

ETA - here's a link to Gunbroker's fee structure (scroll down for the Final Value Fee for sellers): https://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fees/

Top Bottom