• ...and so much more!
  • sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Hello,

I have an option to purchase a Bushmaster AR15 at a decent price but don't have much experience with the brand. How do they stack up against other brands?

Thanks,

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I would stay away from the newer models. Quality from everything I have read went down after they sold the name in about 06 or 07. I have a 07 model I bought before O took office. That I believe was not long after the sale. They had already started using a commercial buffer tube to save money back then. To be honest my S&W AR shoots as well as my Bushy at half the cost.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I would stay away from the newer models. Quality from everything I have read went down after they sold the name in about 06 or 07. I have a 07 model I bought before O took office. That I believe was not long after the sale. They had already started using a commercial buffer tube to save money back then. To be honest my S&W AR shoots as well as my Bushy at half the cost.
    :+1:

Anything before 2006 because of what he said above. Was bought by the group that owns Remington and quality took a bit of a dive. But the "old" Bushmaster became Wyndam Weaponry and they're decent. Just depends on "decent price". There are a lot of good options these days that don't cost a ton.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have a couple of the older Windham Bushmaster's and they have never given me any problems. I also have one made in Lyons NY that has also been flawless. I like the 1:9 twist and chrome lined barrels. I have ran a couple of courses with one of the carbines and it has never stopped running. YMMV

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    If you're really set on a Bushmaster look for used models made in Windam, Maine, those are the good ones. Otherwise I personally have liked everything I've gotten from Aero Precision, and an Aero Precision is probably 6-800 for a complete rifle. You could always just go the route of putting together a parts list and building the lower and having a gunsmith assemble the upper if you're not comfortable with that part.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    It will probably be fine, I have seen a number of high round count Bushmasters that are still running as intended. I would check staking on the carrier and make sure those are not loose. I have seen a few that were not staked well. Every Bushmaster I have inspected was made before 07, as that is about the time my Colt armorers certs expired. Go ahead and replace the extractor spring with a BCM, and stake the castle nut if it's not already done. Also, check the gas rings to make sure they are not worn.

Top Bottom