• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bar68

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Auburn
    Does anyone know the value of a preban Colt? I have a Competition H-Bar that I had for a long time. I am curious to know if they have any collector value.

Thanks,
    Brent

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The pre-ban rifles are worth more in the states that an AWB is still in effect, but grandfather pre-ban firearms. As a collector firearm, there are lots of them around and condition, the original box, and contents are important for top prices. An average example may receive a slight premium unless it is an early SP1 or something special.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    I've seen "pre ban" tossed out a lot online with sellers so the more details helps to firm up any price target you place on it. Is it a 1986 Reagan era ban? What features does it have compared to rifles sold these days that have been banned? Are you the original owner or further down the ownership list? As jinks stated, the more original parts and pieces you have for it, the more the value could be. Round counts, service records, etc. All the details matter since it's not a shelf brand rifle you could buy anywhere these days.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    A lot of the pre 1994 SP 1s were broken up to sell the lower. There is almost (almost) a glut of SP 1 uppers around now. This has helped fuel the recent crazy prices of complete rifles. The big numbers are in the digits. In descending order 6 digit seral numbers (start in the low 1K depending on condition) down to the ultimate find, a 3 digit 1964. 1964 and 1965 start in the 3K range and rapidly go up.

Parting out the pre ban rifles has really boosted prices.

I used to kind of flinch at the parting out. But as pointed out by a smarter guy than me, every time one is parted out the value of the whole ones edges up.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a Colt AR-15 A2 HBAR Sporter Model R6600 Green Label I bought new in the late 1980's.
    It's in the Serial# SP2350xx range.
    Has the A2 Upper with heavy barrel, bayonet lug, and the lower with the smooth slabside area with no protection around the magazine release.
    The day after I bought it, Colt announced they would no longer sell AR15's to civilians.

It's a pretty accurate rifle right out of the box.
    I haven't fired it in many years, as I've bought and built several other AR15 type rifles since and just shot those instead to keep this one nice.
    Has about 500-1000 rounds through it.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I have a Colt AR-15 A2 HBAR Sporter Model R6600 Green Label I bought new in the late 1980's.
    It's in the Serial# SP2350xx range.
    Has the A2 Upper with heavy barrel, bayonet lug, and the lower with the smooth slabside area with no protection around the magazine release.
    The day after I bought it, Colt announced they would no longer sell AR15's to civilians.

It's a pretty accurate rifle right out of the box.
    I haven't fired it in many years, as I've bought and built several other AR15 type rifles since and just shot those instead to keep this one nice.
    Has about 500-1000 rounds through it.
    This would be re-issued as the R6601 Match Hbar. Commonly known as a blue label. Less the bayonet lug. Serial would have the prefix MHxxxxxxx. They are pre ban and very nice shooters. Interesting bit of trivia, the first issue Delta Match Hbar had serials that started SP. The second issue started MH. My R6601 is in the top 3 of my favorite ARs. It's also a slab side. Go figure.

DC1711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 9, 2018
    Auburn
    Hang on, after the election it may be a name your price kinda gun. Actually I have seen them in my area for up wards of $2400.

Top Bottom