• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bybo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Lawrenceburg
    Recently picked up a Mauser 8x57 Jack Childress Mannlicher rifle. I know he’s been dead a while, but can’t find any references to quality, value, etc.... I’m sure a gunsmith with his own stamped barrels would have a following of some kind. The rifle is pretty neat with an EBRA scope on top. Any info would be appreciated.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I knew Jack. And I know his two sons. He was quite a character and a fantastic gunsmith. He only did metal work, no stock work. I’ll pm you.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I was able to connect the OP and one of Jacks sons today. Hopefully he will find out about his rifle and tell us all about it. .

The post about Four Seasons is correct, they sold off most of the estate of Col. M Johnson, Air Force Ret. one of Jacks best friends, a few years ago.

I'm honored to have known Jack, a WW2 Vet and the Colonel, as we called him, who took part in the Berlin airlift early in his career. They don’t make any more honorable Men

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I think my ex FIL had a Jack Childress rifle in a .244 Rem. IIRC, he would drive around gravel roads out in the country with a monster sandbag on the hood of his old Chevy pickup, looking for groundhogs. When he saw one at some stupid long distance, he would stop the truck in the middle of the road, put his rifle on the sandbag, and pop the 'hog at 3-400 yards. In an age that was pre-laser rangefinders and mostly 10x scopes, no small feat.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    I was able to connect the OP and one of Jacks sons today. Hopefully he will find out about his rifle and tell us all about it. .

The post about Four Seasons is correct, they sold off most of the estate of Col. M Johnson, Air Force Ret. one of Jacks best friends, a few years ago.

I'm honored to have known Jack, a WW2 Vet and the Colonel, as we called him, who took part in the Berlin airlift early in his career. They don’t make any more honorable Men

Earlier this year I traded for a Colt Officers ACP that I was told was one of few handguns he ever worked on. Not sure how accurate of a statement that is. There's no stamp or signs on it that he left behind that I've found. Anything further I could find out about it would be great! I'm not much of a 1911 person but for the sake of the trade it was definitely an interesting piece.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom