Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Specs for scope on AR-15

Iím looking to shoot mostly 100 yards for now maybe later out to 2-300 yards. With an absolute overload of info out there I am looking input on manufacturer, mount, Variable power and objective size. So far Iíve read that 50mm objectives are to large for standard ARís. Right now thatís all I have with short term plan on upgrading after getting some home repairs paid.

User Info Menu

50mm scopes are mounted on standard AR 15's every day of the year. It doesnt sound like you need a 50mm bell, but its got nothing to do with the fact they are "to large". You don't need the high zoom that is typically associated with large bells. If you want to shoot me a message with a price range, I would be happy to point you in the right direction.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Plinker

User Info Menu

At that range any scope will work.
    Irons at that distance will still suffice.
    Depending on application and Mount I favor a 40mm. But thatís just me.

User Info Menu

I have Weaver std. 1" rings with 4X Tasco Pronghorn that works on my flat-top rail.
    It gives me good accuracy @100yds +
    and comes off & on quickly....

for Sig. Romeo 5 red dot that also detaches & mounts quickly for anything 50yds or closer.

The Romeo 5 has a great motion activated "on" & "off" that is great.

cost: Tasco pronghorn $30 from Meijers back when I have about 5 I have on various rifles.

Sig Romeo 5 is about $125....
    Got it in a trade & just sighted it @50yds just for kicks...great fun.
    Last edited by openwell; 08-05-2020 at 20:40. Reason: add text INGO boots me off phone typing slow!
    No middle game, No end game; just Open the game well. French e4e6

User Info Menu

I have a 3-9x 40mm on mine for yotes to 300.
    Reg duplex.

If I was gonna make it a deer / fun / defensive rig.....id put. 1-4x or similar on it

But mine is 5.56 and is strictly for varmints

User Info Menu

If your scope is doable and paid for......run it.

User Info Menu

OP: What's the purpose of your 100-300y shooting?

That might drive the optic choice more.
    As you may have figured out, nearly anything will work at that distance.

Some may be better suited to the usage than others.

EDIT: Alan won't steer you wrong either. LOTS of great product (at extremely reasonable prices), and top-notch advice/experience in the marketplace.

User Info Menu

I love them Vortex 2-7 scopes. They work great. I got mine from AAOptics. Shipped out fast too.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 and really like it. Can definitely do 100-300 yards, although close quarter use wouldnít be optimal with the 3x minimum magnification.

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x could be a great option depending on what your price point is, itís very reasonably priced but if youíre looking for something around $100 probably not. 1-6x can be great from under 25 yards out to 300 yards, no problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mechmc17 View Post
    I have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 and really like it. Can definitely do 100-300 yards, although close quarter use wouldnít be optimal with the 3x minimum magnification.

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x could be a great option depending on what your price point is, itís very reasonably priced but if youíre looking for something around $100 probably not. 1-6x can be great from under 25 yards out to 300 yards, no problem.
    Why I went 2-7. At 2 power you can still keep both eyes open and hit close targets.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast