NEED HELP - Wylde 16" SS AR15 won't cycle - won't budge!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kisskollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2020
    CLARKSVILLE
    So I'm at a loss. I have an AR15 with a Wylde SS 16" barrel. It was purchased at a gun show already assembled to an upper (not sure the brand but I'm sure generic.)

First time out shot some cheap wolf steel .223 ammo, and it cycled 1 shot, then jammed every round. Figured maybe steel was as bad as I'd heard. Cleaned /oiled well, bought some PPU 5.56 M193 and recorded myself shooting I wanted to see if the bcg moved at all. Didn't budge a bit. Gun fires fine, but the BCG will not slide at all. I have to charge every round.

I know it's oiled up enough, even on the "wet" side being a new build. I have tried 2 different brand new BCGs so it is not the BCG. Why will this not cycle? Do I really have to take apart the upper or feed a wire or something through the gas line?

Could it be the spring? I did not pay attention to the buffer or spring I bought. Can a spring be so stiff as to keep it from returning?

With a Wylde could it be the ammo? Is 55gr .223 more powerful than 5.56 M193? Or would that provide better gas pressure due to diameter? I have not shot my Wolf Gold .223 through it yet.

Very frustrating. Any help appreciated thanks everyone.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had an AR that wouldn't cycle. Everybody blamed the mag. Turned out the bolt (or buffer) would stick in the tube just a bit. It would slow everything down and I couldn't feed unless manually. But it did move some. Reamed it out and all started working again. I replaced it after, but wanted to see the problem through.

Check the pin that keeps the buffer in place. See if it is too tall. Check the gas tube to see if you are getting anything thru.

Do these while you wait for a smarter person to answer.

Side note, I shoot steel case all the time. No worries.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    When you hand cycle it, does it move freely then? If you retract the bcg all of the way will it chamber a round without assistance? More details are needed to narrow it down.

kisskollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2020
    CLARKSVILLE
    Yes it moves well and free. BCG (again I tried 2 different BCG's) they eject fine and pull in the next round fine. I just have to pull it back myself. Dont feel "stuck" at all.

kisskollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2020
    CLARKSVILLE
    So the BCG didn't move at all when a shot was fired, so nothing at all coming out the ejection side. I had the camera only on that side to see if it moved at all, and it didn't, however it seems smoke came out the other side? I will post pictures today of the gas block/connection to the barrel. I was hoping it wasn't ammo thanks.

kisskollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2020
    CLARKSVILLE
    I had an AR that wouldn't cycle. Everybody blamed the mag. Turned out the bolt (or buffer) would stick in the tube just a bit. It would slow everything down and I couldn't feed unless manually. But it did move some. Reamed it out and all started working again. I replaced it after, but wanted to see the problem through.

Check the pin that keeps the buffer in place. See if it is too tall. Check the gas tube to see if you are getting anything thru.

Do these while you wait for a smarter person to answer.

Side note, I shoot steel case all the time. No worries.

Appreciate it. I hear what you're saying about the pin, but if the pin was too high wouldn't it lock when I pull it back manually as well? I can pull the bcg back into the buffer no issues.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This might sound crazy. Might want to pull your gas block to make sure it has properly spec hole and the hole in your barrel as well. Before doing that make sure the gas block is actually lined up correctly on the hole in the barrel. I've seen my friend had his just Slightly off and it caused basically this problem. Don't know how he did it but he did. After we lined up the gas block like it should have been it ran fine.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I sent you a PM with my number. You should be able to at least view it but not respond since you don't have 50 posts. If you need a hand you can reach out to me via text message.

kisskollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2020
    CLARKSVILLE
    This might sound crazy. Might want to pull your gas block to make sure it has properly spec hole and the hole in your barrel as well. Before doing that make sure the gas block is actually lined up correctly on the hole in the barrel. I've seen my friend had his just Slightly off and it caused basically this problem. Don't know how he did it but he did. After we lined up the gas block like it should have been it ran fine.

OKAY I took the gas block off and yes there is a roll pin, HOWEVER I blow into the end of the tube and it doesn't go through! Now wonder all around the hole and even inside the block/brace there is dirt and powder residue.

Shouldn't it fairly easily blow through like a straw? I cant blow through it at all! Can I assume the only way to put anything through it/clean it would be to hammer out the roll pin? Then maybe a wire/hanger or something?

I'll wait for your alls advice thank you everyone.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    OKAY I took the gas block off and yes there is a roll pin, HOWEVER I blow into the end of the tube and it doesn't go through! Now wonder all around the hole and even inside the block/brace there is dirt and powder residue.

Shouldn't it fairly easily blow through like a straw? I cant blow through it at all! Can I assume the only way to put anything through it/clean it would be to hammer out the roll pin? Then maybe a wire/hanger or something?

I'll wait for your alls advice thank you everyone.
    Text the guy that lives near you. Yes should be able to blow through fairly easy

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom