• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Hey INGO, looking for thoughts and feedback from my annie owners. I am in the market and considering the following rifles in .22LR! I am going to spell it out as I understand it, anyone else that has thoughts or opinions on this, I would love to hear what other things I should be considering

54 action
    single stage trigger
    sights
    can have a heavier barrel

54 action
    two stage trigger
    tappered barrel
    no front sight

54 action
    totally different bolt-repeater
    two stage trigger
    no sights

Not sure which route to go here... Anyone want to help me make a buying choice based on experience with these rifles?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    My experience means nothing without knowing:

What do you want the rifle to do with you?

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    My experience means nothing without knowing:

What do you want the rifle to do with you?

Its a great question, probably the single most important piece of info for you all to help!:)

TBH though, I do not have one specific use in mind for this rifle. I have several dedicated BR rifles... I also have several dedicated small game hunting rifles...

I guess the answer is an all around nice .22LR that I can teach my son with... to shoot super accurately, hunt, and do anything else he desires.... and then eventually gift it to him when he gets old enough! I would guess the 1710 would be better suited for BR, the 1712 for offhand hunting, and the 1727 for faster shooting... Maybe not?

Before we get to far out there, I am not looking for a "cheaper route" as relatives have suggested just buying a savage and going that route. I am not interested in moving away from Annie, even from a cost and practical point it might make more sense.

I know that answer probably isnt much help in guiding me to picking the right one, but I always enjoy the convo and interaction of others experiences prior to buying....

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I own a 54 Match fat barrel in a right handed stock my dad bought new in 67 for my brother and I to shoot with. I dont believe with what I know about more modern Annies would be a help at all.
    What I will say is this rifle went through 4 boys as of now in its life and it still shoots as well now as it did when my older brother and I shot it in HS in the 70's.
    Thanks, Master Chief.

I have been thinking about dropping it off at Penrods and have him restock it in a more functional stock as I'm a left hander..... Good Luck on your search, whatever Annie you buy you will love.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    I’ve had a 1712 for a number of years. It’s given me some great groups and has been very consistent over the years. The magazines are stupid expensive. You can get wisner 5 round mags from brownells that work with slight modification for a third of the price.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I’ve had a 1712 for a number of years. It’s given me some great groups and has been very consistent over the years. The magazines are stupid expensive. You can get wisner 5 round mags from brownells that work with slight modification for a third of the price.

I have a Cooper mod 57 and I had my cousin who are a Cooper dealer order me a few extra mags years back. I never much paid attention to what they cost until he asked me if I was happy with them.. I said why yes.. Then he laughted.
    LOL.. They were 85 bucks a piece...Wisners build great magazines at a very reasonable price...

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    As far as teaching a kid to shoot accurately, I would strongly recommend against the Anschutz. Don't get me wrong, they are great rifles. I spent a lot of time competing successfully with a 54 Super Match, and an 1813. As we all know, one of the biggest hurdles to accuracy is great trigger control. You're not learning that on a sweet Anschutz trigger. That needs to be learned on something like a nice DA revolver. Our coach used to have us practice with cheap $20 crossman pellet Pistols because they exaggerated flinches, trigger control, and poor follow through. Nothing wrong with getting a nice rifle for the boy to shoot, just understand that he's going to need some other "tools" to use if he's going to be a good shot.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    As far as teaching a kid to shoot accurately, I would strongly recommend against the Anschutz. Don't get me wrong, they are great rifles. I spent a lot of time competing successfully with a 54 Super Match, and an 1813. As we all know, one of the biggest hurdles to accuracy is great trigger control. You're not learning that on a sweet Anschutz trigger. That needs to be learned on something like a nice DA revolver. Our coach used to have us practice with cheap $20 crossman pellet Pistols because they exaggerated flinches, trigger control, and poor follow through. Nothing wrong with getting a nice rifle for the boy to shoot, just understand that he's going to need some other "tools" to use if he's going to be a good shot.

Concur 100%.

The Shooter who can hammer out good hits and groups with what amounts to the trigger from a chainsaw is who I want on my side.

If you cannot shoot decently with inelegant rifles, you are not yet a Shooter, you just shoot.

Make no mistake, the 5018 and I look pretty decent together, and I don’t even have to hang my head around 175g metric pistols, but I d*** sure didn’t get where I am by shooting $400+ trigger groups.

But my Annie isn’t for sale, and I wouldn’t second guess owning another one.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The job of making your son into a first-rate rifleman doesn't belong to you. Or for that matter, me or anybody commenting here. It belongs to your son. If he wants it, he will put in the work. There will be guideposts along the way, but he will have to teach himself. What he owned (or didn't own) as a kid will have little to no bearing on it. If buying him an Anschutz is going to "ruin" him, he was already ruined.

I shot a J.C. Higgins for the longest time and consider myself pretty fair, but the main thing it taught me was, I wanted an Anschutz! It is sorta like working at the Tasty Freeze as a kid...you learn you don't want to spend your life there.

If you want to teach your son to appreciate fine things, and someday remember you with them, good on you. Pick one and do it.

Top Bottom