• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    A while back I picked up a Bushmaster Patrolman. I am a good sized old guy and I can not get my eye to line up with the sights comfortably. This rifle has a grab handle with the sight at the back. I have a red dot but I really like open sights. I am open to suggestions because I do enjoy shooting this thing.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You probably need to be more specific about what the issue is and why it is uncomfortable. That could mean a lot of things. Do you need a higher stock comb to get a more natural cheek weld? Is it something about how you're holding / slinging the rifle? Are you straining your eyes trying to use the irons?

I was a long-time hold out on moving to an optic. I thought one should be a pro with iron sights first before using an optic, but I have moved away from that idea. You need to know how to use open sights, how to adjust them etc., but red dots and scopes are just so dang reliable and they make shooting so much easier there is no reason not to use them.

Just my :twocents:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have an Irish egg (big head) so I have to tip my head sideways to get my eye to line up with the sights. Almost every rifle I shoot, I use open sights. I do not recall having issues with the AR 15 like rifle I was issued in the 70's but that was 50 lbs ago...

You probably need to be more specific about what the issue is and why it is uncomfortable. That could mean a lot of things. Do you need a higher stock comb to get a more natural cheek weld? Is it something about how you're holding / slinging the rifle? Are you straining your eyes trying to use the irons?

I was a long-time hold out on moving to an optic. I thought one should be a pro with iron sights first before using an optic, but I have moved away from that idea. You need to know how to use open sights, how to adjust them etc., but red dots and scopes are just so dang reliable and they make shooting so much easier there is no reason not to use them.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    NE Indiana I'm sure someone on the forums lives around you that could come and help you in person if you would like that? I would however, I'm down in the SE of Indiana.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    NE Indiana I'm sure someone on the forums lives around you that could come and help you in person if you would like that? I would however, I'm down in the SE of Indiana.
    Im central Indiana.. can you get someone to take a.pic of you holding and point out your issue, im having a hardwire visualizing what your describing

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Eugene Stoner had a notoriously small head. In the USMC is was known as "Wormy" not just for his sweet, sweet dance moves in the hangars but because his head was the same diameter as his neck.

Eugene Stoner, c. 1944, airfield in Northern China:

dancemove_14442837107.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'm no help as I fought with eye issues for so, I finally decided to be true to myself and put optics on my rifles. I am also moving that way with my handguns.

I can shoot irons, but the front sight is fuzzy and my accuracy is not as good as when I am using optics.

Plus, I enjoy shooting more.

And I'm not worried about a mechanical/electrical item failing. Life is about adapting and overcoming.

I'm not an operator, I have no sleeve tattoos and my baseball cap brim is not frayed.:)

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I'm no help as I fought with eye issues for so, I finally decided to be true to myself and put optics on my rifles. I am also moving that way with my handguns.

I can shoot irons, but the front sight is fuzzy and my accuracy is not as good as when I am using optics.

Plus, I enjoy shooting more.

And I'm not worried about a mechanical/electrical item failing. Life is about adapting and overcoming.

I'm not an operator, I have no sleeve tattoos and my baseball cap brim is not frayed.:)
    Your accuracy will improve and surrpass your iron skills with practice. If you have not already, buy a front and rear bag set or a bipod for the front and a bag for the rear. With practice you may find your skill level regarding accuracy surpasses your rifles ability.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Raise the front sight so you can raise the rear sight. You want the rear sight to be on the 8/3 setting with a comfortable head position at 300 yards. Your nose should have the charging handle in the right nostril. Assuming you are a right handed shooter. If not, put it in the other nostril.

Zero at 300 yards. For me it works out about one complete revolution up on the rear sight. If you need two, so be it. Adjust POI with the front sight at 300 yards but the rear sight needs to be at the 8/3 position. What is critical is a comfortable head position.

I can show you. It really isn't complicated.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom