• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I’ve using my DDM4v11 pro as a do-all AR. It’s a solid rifle, but that 18” s2w barrel is nearly 3# by itself and a bit longer than ideal for social work. It’s presently used most for competition and it’s probably 12# with 3-15PSTg2.

It’s time to build a lighter, shorter upper for <50y use. I have a stripped Aero I’m starting with (I’ll buy vltor MURs for future builds.)

Im absolutely sold on the quality of a DD barrel. But they don’t offer a very light barrel. Their lighter 14.5 is still 1/3# heavier than a pencil bbl (.750 gas block on a light barrel?*♂️) from faxon.

I like my criterion bolt gun barrels so I’d be willing to try them, but the are button rifled while priced like DD CHF.

I don’t want to drop below 13.7” length because I think you lose too much ballistic performance in 5.56 and I hate the blast of the shorter 5.56 barrels. I’m most looking to drop weight not make a pdw. Talk me into an 11.5 if you think I’m making a mistake in that way.

I don’t mind pin and weld because this isn’t going to be a build I fiddle with, but rather it’s going together and staying forever in that config.

Im thinking a really light 13.9 or 14.5 with permanent Dead Air flash suppressor.

What barrel suggestion do you have for light and 16” oal achievement?

What upper would you build if you knew Kyle was coming to you for advice and you knew what he would face?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have an ultralight upper from psa that I am really happy with. It is quick to handle and great out to at least 300 yards. I will check tonight, to get more specifics, but it has 16 inch barrel.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I checked my order info for my lightweight upper from PSA.

It is a 16" mid length pencil profile with a midwest industries ss15g2 handguard.

I really like it and have done some position shooting with it and ran at least one high round count carbine class with it. Previously I was running heavier uppers and have been very pleased with this one because it is quick to point and I like the barrel length for velocity.

I can see the argument for a shorter barrel, especially if you expect people to be grabbing at the barrel, but speed kills, so currently 14.5", 16", 20" for me.

I would really like to try one of the Daniel Defense mk18 with the 10.5" barrel,

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    BA Hanson 14.5" .625 gasblock 20oz, knights urx4 13" about 13oz that would be a light setup.

I agree with the BA Hanson barrel, but would recommend the Aero atlas handguard. I built a aero upper with a Ba government profile barrel 16" and the 15"atlas handguard. The gov profile barrel is heavy but I don't even notice the heavy barrel with the light weight handguard.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    A "Kenosha Upper"?

No wonder we get a bad name in the press.

yeah, a pretty poor choice for a thread title, but I kinda see where he's getting at. most of my rifles are for competition too, but I have an aero 14.5 carbine barrel on my quentin defense M4(ish) build with a welded BCM 1.5" compensator.

My next build is a 10.5" upper with a dedicated pistol lower for close quarters. looking at the footage from Kenosha, the defendant didn't require more than a single magazine and a shorter barrel length would have mitigated some of his issues and probably saved a (communist) life...not to mention another 'murder' charge for Sk8r Dude.

In that kinda situation, muzzle velocity isn't going to mean a damn thing when your target is 3' away. Something...ANYTHING is better than a 15# match rifle at that point. Might as well break out the Krag.

10.5" upper minimum. But don't go more than 10.6" because that's more than you'll ever need in a situation like what we've been watching over and over again.

Keep it short, keep it simple...

And please change your thread title.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, pretty sure he's more interested in the scenario of the McCluskeys than Kyle.

You know, all the tussle without the travel.

But as usual, INGO gets all tripped up in the minutia of the verbiage instead of the actual intent.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Maybe you are looking for something like this...What would Stoner Do Rifle? This is a result of a series of experiments InRangeTV did on YouTube in 2018.

Link to Brownelles: https://www.brownells.com/guntech/wwsd2020/detail.htm?lid=17958

Link to videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj9u4Ts2NpEuyUMbu1Pe3yXtez7CwkW8c

I recently rewatched the whole series. I’m wanting that kind of rifle but wanting to lean more towards rock solid durable vs lightest of the light.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ok, the crack commandos on unwad duty will be by shortly for those of you not clever enough to figure out that nobody is traveling or advocating such, and that the title refers to an upper for use at short range when outnumbered. An upper where people might be grabbing at you and bad breath distance is likely.

My life is a no-LARP zone. But if someone wants to turn my neighborhood into Kenosha, I intend to persuade them it’s not a good choice. Cause I can reason with them. /prpl

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    light...won't necessarily be a huge advantage unless you're really out of shape.

SHORT, on the other hand...will give you some maneuverability. think about if you ever had to enter a building...or even a stair case to get to your car in a parking garage...OR FROM YOUR CAR OR TRUCK!?!?!

Now you're seeing the advantages of SHORT/compact (I keep trying to tell my wife about the advantages, but she keeps going to bed an hour early and is asleep by the time i get there, so i'm not sure she's convinced)

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I’m starting to wonder if I shouldn’t be more focused on the lower as well. What the point of a short barrel if you have that crazy long carbine tube at the back?

Maxim scw for the win?

Top Bottom