• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dustycoyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Somewhere
    So, a few years back I got great advice on this forum when I was first looking to get into buying my first AR. I try to come back here to get some good guidance before I make new purchases.

3 guns, 5 scopes and a pile of other equipment/accessories later, I'm looking to do another gun.
    For the last couple years I've wanted to build a gun in a different caliber than 5.56 and have pretty much landed on a Grendel.

If anyone wants to give any feedback on that choice, please do. The things I like or am looking for that led me to a Grendel are;

Wanted something different than the 3 5.56 guns I now own,
    I like low recoil for the accuracy it allows, especially for multiple shots on a moving target, and would like something my wife and kids would still enjoy shooting, (otherwise would've gone Creedmoor)
    I wanted something that is good for hunting
    I like that the Grendel is a very flexible round (say vs a 6.8 SPC) in that I can do some longer range accuracy shooting if I want to
    Seems like there is good availability of ammo, and the cheap wolf stuff is a great option for keeping the cost down.
    Bonus, but not critical - I do like that it keeps me in the standard AR15 lower and is easier to continue to use all of the optics and accessories I already have.

And if anyone expereienced with the Grendel has any advice on barrel length I would love to hear it. I understand it is a round that works best out of a longer AR. I would plan to do an 18 inch barrel just to keep the gun more mobile but I would be willing to go to a 20 inch if experienced persons recommended it....

What I'm really looking for here is some guidance on what brands to look at. My last gun was an ulitmate upper from Larue (based on advice from this forum, specifically . I really like it and, barring any other direction you all send me, will likely do Larue again for the Grendel. It seems to be a great value for a gun that is universilly considered to be high quality from a well respected brand.

Yesterday, while doing some online window shopping, I came across GrendelHunter.com. It made me think that I need to get some advice before pulling the trigger. I really still don't know much about guns and what really makes one brand super expensive while another is super cheap. I've always assumed that it is primarily the QA and tolerances allowed in their machining. Maybe some unique manufacturing processes in some that make for a more durable or accurate rifle? But it seems to me like most manufacturers either use the same manufacturing processes, and it seems that many (if not most) of them just source their parts from one of the large national parts makers and are really just assembling the parts for you...

And, of course, there is the fact that these are just big boys toys and a lot of us pay a premium because we love our guns and just want to buy cool stuff for them but with no real utility value to the extra spend (To me, and I could be wrong here..., but one of the biggest examples of this is the whole idea of paying 100.00+ for a Raptor charging handle.)

So, for me, I would really like a high quality gun in that it is accurate, and durable, and functions consistently. those are the things I feel wonderful about paying for. Everything else is gravy, and for me, I can go a little easy on the gravy if it helps with the budget. I can't buy anything super expensive. Just don't hvae the funds.

For reference, the guns that I own (and that this group helped me to choose), are a LWRC DI, Sionics, and Larue (Sionics and Larue were just uppers that I built out). I like all of them a lot for different reasons but the LWRC would be my favorite overall.

Even though the LWRC is my fav. I would prefer an upper kit so that I can build the gun myself. I really like putting them together.

So for value and quality, does anyone have any brands or makers that you would direct me to? And if you would agree with the Larue choice, maybe just give me a "+1" so I see that others agree?

Thanks for all the help!

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    So, a few years back I got great advice on this forum when I was first looking to get into buying my first AR. I try to come back here to get some good guidance before I make new purchases.

3 guns, 5 scopes and a pile of other equipment/accessories later, I'm looking to do another gun.
    For the last couple years I've wanted to build a gun in a different caliber than 5.56 and have pretty much landed on a Grendel.

If anyone wants to give any feedback on that choice, please do. The things I like or am looking for that led me to a Grendel are;

Wanted something different than the 3 5.56 guns I now own,
    I like low recoil for the accuracy it allows, especially for multiple shots on a moving target, and would like something my wife and kids would still enjoy shooting, (otherwise would've gone Creedmoor)
    I wanted something that is good for hunting
    I like that the Grendel is a very flexible round (say vs a 6.8 SPC) in that I can do some longer range accuracy shooting if I want to
    Seems like there is good availability of ammo, and the cheap wolf stuff is a great option for keeping the cost down.
    Bonus, but not critical - I do like that it keeps me in the standard AR15 lower and is easier to continue to use all of the optics and accessories I already have.

And if anyone expereienced with the Grendel has any advice on barrel length I would love to hear it. I understand it is a round that works best out of a longer AR. I would plan to do an 18 inch barrel just to keep the gun more mobile but I would be willing to go to a 20 inch if experienced persons recommended it....

What I'm really looking for here is some guidance on what brands to look at. My last gun was an ulitmate upper from Larue (based on advice from this forum, specifically . I really like it and, barring any other direction you all send me, will likely do Larue again for the Grendel. It seems to be a great value for a gun that is universilly considered to be high quality from a well respected brand.

Yesterday, while doing some online window shopping, I came across GrendelHunter.com. It made me think that I need to get some advice before pulling the trigger. I really still don't know much about guns and what really makes one brand super expensive while another is super cheap. I've always assumed that it is primarily the QA and tolerances allowed in their machining. Maybe some unique manufacturing processes in some that make for a more durable or accurate rifle? But it seems to me like most manufacturers either use the same manufacturing processes, and it seems that many (if not most) of them just source their parts from one of the large national parts makers and are really just assembling the parts for you...

And, of course, there is the fact that these are just big boys toys and a lot of us pay a premium because we love our guns and just want to buy cool stuff for them but with no real utility value to the extra spend (To me, and I could be wrong here..., but one of the biggest examples of this is the whole idea of paying 100.00+ for a Raptor charging handle.)

So, for me, I would really like a high quality gun in that it is accurate, and durable, and functions consistently. those are the things I feel wonderful about paying for. Everything else is gravy, and for me, I can go a little easy on the gravy if it helps with the budget. I can't buy anything super expensive. Just don't hvae the funds.

For reference, the guns that I own (and that this group helped me to choose), are a LWRC DI, Sionics, and Larue (Sionics and Larue were just uppers that I built out). I like all of them a lot for different reasons but the LWRC would be my favorite overall.

Even though the LWRC is my fav. I would prefer an upper kit so that I can build the gun myself. I really like putting them together.

So for value and quality, does anyone have any brands or makers that you would direct me to? And if you would agree with the Larue choice, maybe just give me a "+1" so I see that others agree?

Thanks for all the help!
    I have 2 grendels I built one with 16" carbine gas system Saturn barrel and one with 20" criterion rifle length gas system.. both are laser accurate. As far as pre-made brands I really don't know but I can definitely say it is 1 heck of a round, fun to shoot, about midway between 5.56 and 308 on recoil. Both hold , the criterion holds .25moa and better with the load I worked up and the Saturn barrel will hold less than 1 moa, both will sail out to 1k with 600-800 being the sweet spot, both out perform the 5.56

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Don't have much to say on branding, but you'll see a lot of different opinions. At this point I might advise buying what upper is available in the current market at a reasonable price and putting on one of your existing lowers.

If you plan on hunting with it ever, which is legal on private land in IN, you should consider at least a 20 inch barrel. I think you'll find the increased velocity will be advisable for that application. They are heavy for general purpose and self defense purposes. I have a 20 inch for deer, and am looking at a 16 inch upper for SD/carry purposes.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I built an upper with an 18" Criterion barrel with rifle length gas. I have been pleased with it. I took a buck with it last fall. I chose the 18" as a compromise in velocity for mobility in the woods.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I went with a cheap fluted Bear Creek Arsenal 20" 5R barrel. It loves Hornady Black 123gr Eld match and my 123gr SST reloads. Absolutely hated the Wolf 100gr ammo.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Dont have my build sheets in front of me, but will say 6.5 grendel is a great round. I've built 2. 1 has 20" barrel and the other a 24" barrel. Both have awesome accuracy, but with different weight ammo.
    Believe it or not the 24" barreled one loves wolf steel case. The wolf actually outperforms Hornady factory ammo.

Here's a pic of my 2 home builds

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Built my first 6.5G last April. I was trying to keep from doing a fresh build... Swapped out a 300BO barrel with a 18" 6.5G barrel and new bolt.

Easily sub-moa, hard hitting and low recoil. Loves Speer TnT 90g over H322.

Good luck. Its a fun round.

:ingo:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Dont have my build sheets in front of me, but will say 6.5 grendel is a great round. I've built 2. 1 has 20" barrel and the other a 24" barrel. Both have awesome accuracy, but with different weight ammo.
    Believe it or not the 24" barreled one loves wolf steel case. The wolf actually outperforms Hornady factory ammo.

Here's a pic of my 2 home builds

Some people have all the luck....

Dustycoyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Somewhere
    Thanks for all the replys. Good info.
    Excited to get going on it.

Per the comments on the barrel length, I wouldn't be planning to go any shorter than an 18 inch.
    Would a 20 inch really be that much more inconvenient or heavy? I like the idea of the added velocity/energy, but part of that would be for hunting reasons, and I dont want to end up with a gun that I would rather leave home in favor of my Larue...

My Larue 5.56 is an 18 inch barrel, but I went with the light weight PredatAR barrel profile on it to keep the extended weight if the gun down.
    I believe that Grendels are a pretty hot round compared to 5.56. Would it be a poor choice to go with a light profile? Would I want a heavy or at least medium profile? And would that make it more of a consideration to keep it at 18 inches?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Thanks for all the replys. Good info.
    Excited to get going on it.

Per the comments on the barrel length, I wouldn't be planning to go any shorter than an 18 inch.
    Would a 20 inch really be that much more inconvenient or heavy? I like the idea of the added velocity/energy, but part of that would be for hunting reasons, and I dont want to end up with a gun that I would rather leave home in favor of my Larue...

I believe I have the 20 inch bca dadsmith mentioned. I wouldn't want to carry it all that long. It's not terrible, just heavy compared to my other 16 inch 7.62 x 39 AR. Up to you really. I don't think recoil on a 6.5 would necessitate a heavier profile.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The difference between a 14.5”, 16”, 19.5” and 24” barrels is about 80 FPS as you go up or down in length. AA data here: http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/pdfs/grendel_ballistics.pdf

I don’t know anybody who has built a super long barrel Grendel and not regretted it. It’s so efficient and has such small case capacity that 20” is the longest I’d *ever* consider for a Grendel. You give up a lot of weight and maneuvering to get maybe 50-100fps you don’t need.

As for profiles, go as light as you can. You won’t be mag dumping the thing and why carry extra weight 100% of the time when it doesn’t deliver anything you need? It’s not more accurate and you’ll be only firing a couple shots in succession at most where accuracy matters.

For a dedicated or mostly hunting Grendel I’d be trying to find the lightest 16”-18” barrel I could. A faxon gunner or pencil should do nicely.

Dustycoyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Somewhere
    Thanks Hohn (You helped me out when I bought my Larue as well... much appreciated.)

And thanks to all.

To summarize what I'm hearing;

It seems no one has any specific manufacturers to guide to or away from, and no-one would object to the Larue UU either in quality or value. But building out my own upper is another option.
    No-one seems to object to the idea of keeping the length at 18" (or even 16"?), and doing a light profile barrel is no issue.

If i do build my own upper, or even as I look at upper kits, what do I need to keep in mind as far as the bolt and chamber? I know there have been issues and changes over the years. If it says "type 2"bolt, does mean its GTG, or do I need to confirm the bolt face is the correct depth from any given manufacturer? I've read Bill Alexander talking about a lot of considerations and adjustments they made to the bolt system design. I get concerned with how much of that is correctly integrated in other manufacturers designs.
    Other things to look for?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I’ll be the exception and say that I LOVE my 12.5” ballistic advantage barreled Grendel. It is my do-everything gun.

If you intend to suppress it, the shorter barrel length is super handy for running around in the woods.

Half a dozen deer, dozens of hogs, and a couple coyotes agree it’s just right! :D
    attachment.php

Dustycoyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Somewhere
    That's a nice deer!

I wouldn't plan on suppressing it. It sounds though like no-one really feels strongly that I'm missing out on something if I don't go beyond 18inches..? If that's the case, I'll likely just plan to stick with that length. Also will plan to look for a nice lite barrel too.

Thanks for all the help,
    And if anyone else reads this and wants to suggest any manufacturer, please do. Even though I will likely end up with the Larue, I'd like to look at other brands as well before I do. If I could do it without spending too much, I'd love to just do one from Alexander. I always prefer to support the guy threw the party in the first place...

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    That's a nice deer!

I wouldn't plan on suppressing it. It sounds though like no-one really feels strongly that I'm missing out on something if I don't go beyond 18inches..? If that's the case, I'll likely just plan to stick with that length. Also will plan to look for a nice lite barrel too.

Thanks for all the help,
    And if anyone else reads this and wants to suggest any manufacturer, please do. Even though I will likely end up with the Larue, I'd like to look at other brands as well before I do. If I could do it without spending too much, I'd love to just do one from Alexander. I always prefer to support the guy threw the party in the first place...
    Believe it or not the saturn barrel comes with a matched bolt and is very.accurate.. maybe not shilen or criterion accurate but easily a 1 moa with factory ammo

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    That's a nice deer!

Thanks for all the help,

I used a 16” to one shot/both lungs a buck at 275 yards. No regrets. Loved balance and maneuverability.

Top Bottom