Long barrel for velocity or short barrel for moving?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Building a 350 legend ar.
    Can't decide on what barrel
    What I find with out custom orders

18" 1/16 twist
    16" 1/15 or 1/16 twist
    13" 1/14 twist

Will be shooting 200 gr hunting loads as well as 124 gr 9mm bullets

This will be a fun/hunting gun

A velocity test with cutting down a barrel inch by inch showed only 124fps between 18" and 13" with the Winchester 147gr target ammo. Really not much. I will be handloading with the once fired brass. So i can make that up with good reload.

https://mos-tek.com/data

Obviously a 13" with require a pistol brace.

I just cant decide to many choices.
    I only want one 350 legend AR.
    Not one for every occasion.

What are your thoughts?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i would go with 16" , that way you are still a rifle & still have a good size for movement..
    I have a ruger 77/357 with a 16.1" BBL and it is great.. I don't think it needs to be shorter

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    With such a minor speed loss I’d be going as short as possible.

It depends on whether you feel a brace lets you get the full range you want. I’d probably find a way to get that short barrel barely over the 16” with a permanent muzzle device if it was me. Not because you need the extra length for speed but because using a rifle lower has perceived advantages in the woods.

If you feel like you can get good cheek weld from a brace setup, then go pistol and be done with it.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette

It depends on whether you feel a brace lets you get the full range you want. I’d probably find a way to get that short barrel barely over the 16” with a permanent muzzle device if it was me. Not because you need the extra length for speed but because using a rifle lower has perceived advantages in the woods.

If you feel like you can get good cheek weld from a brace setup, then go pistol and be done with it.

Do you mean a rifle stock?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Short as possible for my vote. Pistols are wonderful and real world shooting you'll never miss the velocity drop.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    14.5 with a welded muzzle device. Because when you swinging a rifle, 3 inches doesn’t make a difference but a rifle stock will be much more comfortable to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well in my hesitation. All the pistol barrels sold. So I had to settle for a 16". I may see about cutting down to pistol length when it shows up.

MArkB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    ditto the rifle stock. much more stability when firing. 16" crowned barrel or thread/cap for future suppressor install?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

What is the advantage of a 13" barrel with a 3" fixed muzzle device over a 16" barrel?

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I am assuming this will be for hunting? If so, accuracy would be my first thought, speed in handling would be my second, velocity loss of 124fps would be my last.

16" allows for a rifle stock and a way more comfortable shooting position and it may actually be faster than trying a brace.

Not sure on when a 350 legend is fully stable in its path and the extra 3" may help the gasses and spin find a happy place that may not be achieved in the first 13"?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    14.5 with a welded muzzle device. Because when you swinging a rifle, 3 inches doesn’t make a difference but a rifle stock will be much more comfortable to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to go that route why not use a 16" barrel and gain a few FPS? If you HAVE to have the 16", why not make it useful?

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Just food for thought. The 350 has decent recoil and in a shorter lighter platform might be more difficult to shoot accurately. I agree that 3" isn't much for handling to make a difference. Shootability will be quite different from a brace to a stock. If you go 13" then I would want a stock and go SBR. If you plan on a suppressor down the road then keeping the OAL to a minimum would be the key.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If you do less than 16 inches, pay the extra $200 and get a legal SBR. I was skeptical about that process, but it only took me about 3 weeks in application time for the form 1.
    I know it's a controversial topic, but in my mind it's better to pay $200 than $20,000 in attorney's fees to get you out of a felony. You're already on every government list anyway.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Two things: going 16" instead of 13" makes it a rifle and avoids any trouble in the future (like if pistols become illegal) and an effective muzzle device can greatly improve second-shot follow-up if you need it. I've shot pistol braces and I think a good one is just as effective as a rifle stock but YMMV

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    With a short straight wall larger bore cartridge like that, I really would not get overly concerned about needing much barrel to get the full umph out of the cartridge.

I'm not sure about muzzle device options for 35 caliber, but there's quite a few useful muzzle devices that make a 13.7" into a 16" after pinning and welding, that'd give you the best of both worlds without needing to go to a brace. Going shorter can be handier, but you start ending up with concussion and muzzle blast that requires a significant enough muzzle device that you might lose your length benefits. I'd really recommend going the 13.7" with a good pinned and welded muzzle device.

If you're going to go that route why not use a 16" barrel and gain a few FPS? If you HAVE to have the 16", why not make it useful?

If you enjoy being blinded or having gigantic fireballs, then sure.

But even a brake (if well designed) tames that down significantly. Which is why a muzzle device is better than not having one.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    With a short straight wall larger bore cartridge like that, I really would not get overly concerned about needing much barrel to get the full umph out of the cartridge.

I'm not sure about muzzle device options for 35 caliber, but there's quite a few useful muzzle devices that make a 13.7" into a 16" after pinning and welding, that'd give you the best of both worlds without needing to go to a brace. Going shorter can be handier, but you start ending up with concussion and muzzle blast that requires a significant enough muzzle device that you might lose your length benefits. I'd really recommend going the 13.7" with a good pinned and welded muzzle device.

If you enjoy being blinded or having gigantic fireballs, then sure.

But even a brake (if well designed) tames that down significantly. Which is why a muzzle device is better than not having one.

So go with a shorter device like the A2. Not the new hotness but they work quite well and you gain a couple inches of useful barrel.

Top Bottom