Thread: Long barrel for velocity or short barrel for moving?

User Info Menu

Long barrel for velocity or short barrel for moving?

Building a 350 legend ar.
    Can't decide on what barrel
    What I find with out custom orders

18" 1/16 twist
    16" 1/15 or 1/16 twist
    13" 1/14 twist

Will be shooting 200 gr hunting loads as well as 124 gr 9mm bullets

This will be a fun/hunting gun

A velocity test with cutting down a barrel inch by inch showed only 124fps between 18" and 13" with the Winchester 147gr target ammo. Really not much. I will be handloading with the once fired brass. So i can make that up with good reload.

https://mos-tek.com/data

Obviously a 13" with require a pistol brace.

I just cant decide to many choices.
    I only want one 350 legend AR.
    Not one for every occasion.

What are your thoughts?
    Living over here in left field

Master

User Info Menu

i would go with 16" , that way you are still a rifle & still have a good size for movement..
    I have a ruger 77/357 with a 16.1" BBL and it is great.. I don't think it needs to be shorter

User Info Menu

With such a minor speed loss Id be going as short as possible.

It depends on whether you feel a brace lets you get the full range you want. Id probably find a way to get that short barrel barely over the 16 with a permanent muzzle device if it was me. Not because you need the extra length for speed but because using a rifle lower has perceived advantages in the woods.

If you feel like you can get good cheek weld from a brace setup, then go pistol and be done with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    With such a minor speed loss Id be going as short as possible.

It depends on whether you feel a brace lets you get the full range you want. Id probably find a way to get that short barrel barely over the 16 with a permanent muzzle device if it was me. Not because you need the extra length for speed but because using a rifle lower has perceived advantages in the woods.

If you feel like you can get good cheek weld from a brace setup, then go pistol and be done with it.
    Do you mean a rifle stock?

User Info Menu

Short as possible for my vote. Pistols are wonderful and real world shooting you'll never miss the velocity drop.
    I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Limpy88 View Post
    Do you mean a rifle stock?
    Yes, using a rifle stock lower might have perceived advantages in the woods.

Marksman

User Info Menu

14.5 with a welded muzzle device. Because when you swinging a rifle, 3 inches doesnt make a difference but a rifle stock will be much more comfortable to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well in my hesitation. All the pistol barrels sold. So I had to settle for a 16". I may see about cutting down to pistol length when it shows up.