• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Not a toy. Solid stick. Not built so everyone will look at you at the range (where most marketing is focused). 1:8 twist is not my jam, but can make it work.

. Yes, how can I help you?

Well, you seem to be the expert on foreign military offerings, and IWI is close enough..... Just wondered what your take was. Personally, I'm a fan of God's twist.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have shot and cleaned a Zion. BTW, not foreign, made in PA. Very well put together, it is not a toy/trash tier stick.

We are blessed to have a multitude of choices. IWI's Zion should be considered.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just found one review that says bolt is 9310 steel. I'm unfamiliar with this alloy for bolts.

Touch more C, Mn, P, S (very slight) and Si, same amount of Ni. Used in crankshafts and gears, high shock rate just like Carpenter 158.

Matt likes this (9310) more for bcgs and bolts. This is also the type that Chris Bartocci recommends in his custom builds as well. M4 bcg is 19K psi, but Zion miigates this with mid length.

My brother's and Bartocci's recommended bcg/bolt: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...nexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=Social

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I look at it like this, I am an idiot.

People with degrees in stuff like Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, as well as the guy that took the AR-10 down to the AR-15 all say "Carpenter 158", cause, you know, it is hardened on the outside but can take the beating inside the upper.

Thus, I am cool with what the smart people, who have specific experience with exactly this system, say.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I look at it like this, I am an idiot.

People with degrees in stuff like Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, as well as the guy that took the AR-10 down to the AR-15 all say "Carpenter 158", cause, you know, it is hardened on the outside but can take the beating inside the upper.

Thus, I am cool with what the smart people, who have specific experience with exactly this system, say.

Thanks for the info. Been doing some reading on 9310 BCGs and the Z15 in general and although it seems like a fine rifle I decided to go with something a little more special and expensive for what will probably be my last AR purchase for the foreseeable future. Figured by the time I bought this and upgraded it to the way I'd want it I'd be better off buying one that already has everything I want. But it does seem like a nice entry level AR for anyone who wants to get into one at a good price.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I plan on buying one. Just for the name. Zion 15. That will get a lot of people angry lol.

Do they have a pistol version 10.5-11" barrel?

Top Bottom