• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Does anyone have a preferred source for AR lower forgings, not 80%, but raw forgings? What are some good sources for small parts? Has anybody here machined a lower from scratch? I'm a tool and diemaker and former aircraft/aerospace machinist witjh some machine tools in my garage (Brigeport, lathe, surface grinder) so I have no qualms about attempting this. I just thought someone who has done it might have some pointers. Also, I might have difficulty getting the tap to cut the buffer tube threads. I could set it up and single point the threads on a lathe but that would be a fair amount of work.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Drill, then mill out the majority, finally use a Bridgeport shaper head to finish. This is according to directions I have. If you don't have access to a shaper head you can make a tool like a boring bar in the quill to cut out the small areas  that you couldn't otherwise get. I suppose if you work in a machine shop somewhere, you could use a wire EDM or a conventional EDM. One place I worked at we would use a long end mill with a large portion of the flutes relieved so that we jack out a corner without a lot of side pressure. I haven't done this yet because 1. I haven't found forgings yet and 2. the head is currently off my mill. I would also like to find a Bridgeport shaper head for sale and/or a rotary cross slide.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Knob creek machine gun shoot had bushels of forged raw lowers last I was there. Be a fun project to take one and truly "build".

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Everybody wants to re-invent the wheel. The last COMPLETE lower I bought was 125 bucks. Private sale.

Having said that, you will not be the first person to take a block of aluminum and machine it into a lower. Everybody should try everything. Once.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Everybody wants to re-invent the wheel. The last COMPLETE lower I bought was 125 bucks. Private sale.

Having said that, you will not be the first person to take a block of aluminum and machine it into a lower. Everybody should try everything. Once.
    I like this way of thinking, and I’ll probably die broke because of it. It it will be fun or I’ll be smart.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Try ZR Tactical in Noblesville.
    Sells 80 and complete, has all the toys and if he’s not too busy may help you out on your quest, you speak the same language. I have a Bridgeport and lathe but don’t speak the language yet.
    If your on Instagram you can follow him and see some of his projects/tools.
    He’s in here but I cannot remember his screen name maybe someone can help...

Top Bottom