• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    For months, Ive looked for a 336 in 30-30. Due to elections, is no one selling? Deer season? Are they just a quality rifle, so those who have one are keeping theirs? Since I went hog hunting in East Tennesse, I have wanted one (hopefully a FTF in Indiana vs Gunbroker type sale) and its been really difficult to find.

How and why do you like yours?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seems odd that you can't find one, but you are correct, they are fine rifles. The 35 Remington is another caliber that works very well for either deer or hogs.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    Marlin was part of the Remington group, which has just been broken up via bankruptcy. The Marlin business has been sold to Ruger, so I'd expect a pause in production while the tooling and equipment is moved to Ruger facilities.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Marlin was part of the Remington group, which has just been broken up via bankruptcy. The Marlin business has been sold to Ruger, so I'd expect a pause in production while the tooling and equipment is moved to Ruger facilities.

Why would they change facilities when all that's happened is that a different company owns them?

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I picked one up a couple years ago at the local Walmart. I haven't looked recently to be able to say they still have any in stock. The one I picked up seems to shoot and function smoothly. Good rifle for under $400.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    On the used market: They've always been harder to find locally, here in Indiana, I suspect because we haven't allowed rifle cartridges for deer for a while. Fairly plentiful in other states.

New: What with all the Kung-Flu stuff going on, civil unrest, upcoming election, Remington's bankrupcy, etc. You know the story.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As Leadeye said....the .35 caliber 336 is a fine rifle.
    I recently acquired one. From Leadeye. That thing is a beast.

I too have a .35 Remington 336. I inherited it from my dad. Early 60's model Carbine. It is a great gun/round for Michigan whitetail hunting. "Brush buster" I believe they called them.

Mine is a safe queen now but I have been thinking of loading up some 158 grain .357 bullets to do a little "plinking" with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I too have a .35 Remington 336. I inherited it from my dad. Early 60's model Carbine. It is a great gun/round for Michigan whitetail hunting. "Brush buster" I believe they called them.

Mine is a safe queen now but I have been thinking of loading up some 158 grain .357 bullets to do a little "plinking" with it.

I doubt I will do much "Plinking" with mine in the standard factory rounds. It is akin to running a 12G with 2 3/4" shells.
    It will let you know when you send one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I doubt I will do much "Plinking" with mine in the standard factory rounds. It is akin to running a 12G with 2 3/4" shells.
    It will let you know when you send one.

Yes, it does. Those 200 grain bullets pack some punch. I think I still have a scar where I got scope bit as a young lad. And yes, Dad laughed.:)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In other posts I have laid out how I changed my Marlin fleet from worn in JM’s to post 2018 Marlins. Out of 15 of these newer ones they have needed nothing to be great shooters. Love them lots and and got them secured as I knew the door was closing. The balance and handling of this gun is perfect as issued. My advice is to find a post 2018 and pre august 20 and not look back. I have faith in Ruger but at best it wont be the same. Manufacturing shortcuts, parts compromise, change in balance (think Henry or imports) and new gen masses will demand more video game character to this old design.

Part of the availability problem with the best of firearms distributing has been the tangled web the distributors and wholesalers play. Also in sales, these real wood and steel pieces of shootable art created by real craftsmen keep costs higher than a lever wannabe.

I don’t know what the new Ruger will be, but I’m sure that just like pre 64 Winchester’s, the chapter is closed and the lights turned out it seems.

just my opinion of course.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    On the used market: They've always been harder to find locally, here in Indiana, I suspect because we haven't allowed rifle cartridges for deer for a while. Fairly plentiful in other states.

Yep - I spent a few years in Minnesota. 336's and Winchester 94's were plentiful.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    Why would they change facilities when all that's happened is that a different company owns them?

When Marlin was sold to the Freedom Group/Remington, the Marlin plant in New Haven CT was closed and production was moved to various Remington plants. So there is no longer a dedicated Marlin plant. Ruger purchased the trademarks, parts, tooling and machinery only and did not purchase any production facilities. You can read Ruger's statement on the purchase of Marlin here.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My '94 is a .25-35, that small bore known for excessive penetration.
    Would love to have a 30-30 rebored to 35-30.

For the .35 Marlins the various molds for .38 Specials will let you create great plinking ammo.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Lots of folks enamored w lever guns.
    I'm not one of them (maybe go for a Savage 99 featherweight in .250 sav though).

HP rifle legal for deer on private ground has a lot of people wanting a .30-30 lever gun.
    Those that want to hunt public, can trim .35 rem cases to meet the spec.

I run a .35 rem pump. Private ground (no need to meet PCR spec).
    Detachable mag, not a tube mag, trigger hand doesn't move when chambering the next round.
    Dimensions similar to 20 gauge 870

336 in .35 rem used to collect dust on dealer shelves. When the PCR spec changed to 1.8" they disappeared and GB prices went up.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Slight thread-jack (OP, let me know if this is too far afield) - :hijack:

Curious about preferences people have between the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 336? Meaning, if one were in the market, which one would you nudge them towards and why?

Top Bottom