• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    At one point in my life (10-12 years ago) I was pretty serious about testing muzzleloader's. I got tired of all the cleaning, and finding out which shots each individual muzzleloader shot well (IE, some shot great on 1-3, some 2-5, some 3 and 4) between cleaning's. At that time I went to a savage smokeless, and was very un impressed. So I got a different savage smokeless, and was very un impressed.

Fast forward to now. I got an arrowhead precision muzzleloader from Luke. It was built on a savage action, with brux barrel, and HS precision stock (that I have not gotten around to pillar beding yet).

A few days ago I shot 3 rounds at 200 yards with a generic load of 68 grains of H4198. The 3 rounds could barely be covered with a quarter. Thinking this had to be a fluke, I set out this morning trying to find that perfect accuracy node.

I’ve never quite seen this, and thought it was pretty cool. All shots are at 200 yards with 68, 68.5, 69, 69.5 grains of H4198. To me the interesting thing is look how little effect powder change has on elevation. Doing a ladder test with one of these would be completely pointless. One thing I did learn is, every single shot that would be considered a light flier, was a bullet that loaded easier. I would assume this is due to the barrel heating up, and expanding. But, elevation wise, there is about ½ MOA elevation change (hotter was actually lower) between 1.5 grains of powder which is a pretty big accuracy node, or I’m not in the node, and that’s a pretty gradual rise. If that is the rise, I don’t care if I find a node.

As I got hotter the loads opened up, that could be due to loads not being as accurate, but it is more likely due to me getting tired. Later today I’m doing the exact same test in reverse.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You can't ask for much more than that, congrats on a fine muzzle loader!

Its honestly accurate enough to make me scratch my head on a load. I ended up shooting 70gr later that day (needed a break) and it shot exact same POI.

I have a buddy at Vortex that has the exact same setup, and he went 4 for 5 on a 10 inch steel plate at 950 yards.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Its honestly accurate enough to make me scratch my head on a load. I ended up shooting 70gr later that day (needed a break) and it shot exact same POI.

I have a buddy at Vortex that has the exact same setup, and he went 4 for 5 on a 10 inch steel plate at 950 yards.

Wow! We're really living in the golden era as far as precision is concerned.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sub 2 inch at 350........ IS pretty darn peachy.

I'm not complaining a bit. A .7 MOA and a .3 MOA group out of a muzzleloader at those ranges is peachy.

We have all been there. You look down range and see a AMAZING group with 1 shot to go, and say in your head "DONT screw this up". You feel the trigger break, and take that snapshot in your mind that tells you where the bullet should be and before you even look at the group that snapshot tells you "You screwed up you should have only fired 2".

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Best explanation I've heard for this-at some point the shooter starts subconsciously shooting at the group instead of the original aiming point. Cough-cough, I'm positive I don't choke. (yes, I damn do. It's a character weakness).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom