• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been clearing out most of my precision rifles as my shoulder won't allow me to enjoy them any longer. I'm considering purchasing a nice, lightweight bolt action 22lr. For kicks let's say money is no object, what would you recommend? Feel free to post a backup answer if budget is a factor. Accuracy is highly valued as well.

Thoughts?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    For sportster weight 22s, the CZs are very good as is the Tika T1x. The CZs kave been around longer, so they have more support. The Tika only has a plastic stock but the T1x does have factory parts that can change the conture of the pistol grip and forend. The Tika and the CZs are very accurate. I like the Tika best.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    CZ for the upper average guy and money, Anschutz, Cooper, Volquartsen Summit is somewhat bolt action but built like an auto looks. Anything below the CZ in American manufacture is just average gun, Savage is probably hands down the best for dollar spent in avarage rimfire bolt actions.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Cost No Object: I'd say Anschutz and Vudoo Gun Works are among the top bolt-actions, if price isn't really an issue. The way they load rounds into chamber, without bullet hitting feed ramp is innovative and proves itself in improved accuracy at long range. Expect to pay around $3,000 on a Vudoo rifle...after you put good glass on it, you're in the $5-6k ballpark.

Value: If you want great performance, but want to save some money...consider CZ, Bergara, Tikka T1X. Below that, Ruger or Savage. Of course all of them can be improved...Lilja barrels are hard to beat.

I know you're looking for bolt-actions, but look at Kidd Innovative Designs (Super Grade specifically) too for semi-auto. Superb firearms at a reasonable price imo (around $1.1k for a rifle ready to go). Their triggers, barrels, bolts, and about everything else are super good.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    What hammerd13 said.

I have a Kidd, very accurate, I have a CZ with a Lilja barrel, still figuring out what ammo it likes best. I want an Anschutz and Vudoo.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The CZ guns are hard to beat for accurate out of the box per dollar.

That being said, a buddy told me about his Browning T-bolt. I didn't want to believe him but ended up getting one myself. Yep, do the trigger spring bend mod and you get a 1 MOA @ 200 yards, 3.5# trigger gun without doing any other mods.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    If money is really no object then a Vudoo or Anshutz. If you like fiddling with stuff, build up a 10/22 to your liking. If you have a regular human budget and want a bolt gun, the CZs are great. I’ve got 2 455s and love them. Decide what ammo you are comfortable paying for, as it seems silly to pay for a Vudoo and feed it bulk pack ammo.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you can find a few to try, I recommend either the CZ or Tikka. I've had a few CZs and they were plenty accurate, but there is just something about their stocks that just doesn't agree with me. I've found the Tikka to fit me much better and the accuracy even better than CZ.
    With my T1 I've shot 18 types of ammo, of those 18, 7 average under 1 MOA, 3 or 4 just over, and only one was worse than 2 MOA. None of this was expensive ammo either, most expensive was SK Rifle Match and Pistol Match which were about $6/box before the shortage.
    The scope used for the majority of my testing wasn't exactly a high dollar item either, until replaced recently it was a Hawke 4-16x40.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I bought a CZ 452 Military Trainer for one of the boys. Put a scope on it and have a ball shooting it. The scope was the game changer. Nice gun, smooth bolt, decent 4 lb trigger.

cz-452-special-military-training-rifle

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've had everything from keystone arms to $3500 Anschutz 1727F. At what job do you intend for this rimfire to excell, Phylo?
    New mfr stuff. Std bolt action. CZ 457 in the at1 stock is damned tough to beat for the money.

Anschutz quality is undeniable. Their 54 action is one of the best. 1727F is stiffer, faster and more expensive.
    Custom stuff is custom stuff. Can be really great.

BUT, rimfires are individuals. Every one I've ever owned had an ammo preference. Some were Spectacular with ammo they liked. And wildly unpredictable.with other rounds.
    If I were gonna buy just one for the sake of accuracy I'd start with an Annie. Champions Choice in LaVergne , TN is a good place to start. They are in the business of making shooters look good.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've owned a couple of Rem 40XB's and just sold my Vudoo barreled action. Some of the recommendations look awesome but I need it to be as light as possible. I guess I'm leaning more toward a hunting style of rifle.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    At what job do you intend for this rimfire to excell, Phylo?

I'm hoping for light enough that I can shoot more than just a couple of rounds at a session. Possibly used for hunting for varmint, mostly probably plinking. I don't need .25MOA at 50yds but if it's not at least MOA I'll lose interest pretty quick.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Sako Finnfire Varmint. Older variant, not the new one, might be just the ticket. There was a sporter variant of the same rifle that was no slouch too. Come see me if you want to try some different options.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've owned a couple of Rem 40XB's and just sold my Vudoo barreled action. Some of the recommendations look awesome but I need it to be as light as possible. I guess I'm leaning more toward a hunting style of rifle.

Tacsol x ring in a hogue stock does a lot and weighs nothing

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'm hoping for light enough that I can shoot more than just a couple of rounds at a session. Possibly used for hunting for varmint, mostly probably plinking. I don't need .25MOA at 50yds but if it's not at least MOA I'll lose interest pretty quick.

Phylodog,

If I were you, and wanted a light hunting/plinking/target rifle with good to above average accuracy...I'd look seriously at the Kidd Supergrade rifles. Kidd lightweight and ultra-lightweight barrels will get you where you want to be. The semi-auto nature might save your shoulder some wear and tear too. Kidd rifles take standard 10/22 magazines, which you probably already have or can easily purchase at a reasonable price.

Accuracy-wise, I'd put a Kidd up against about anything out of the box. With my Kidd, I can consistently achieve 1 moa at 50 yards unsupported in prone or seated position. Supported from a rest, 1/2 moa is boringly easy. I usually shoot Eley (Tenex) or Lapua (Midas +), but it shoots just about anything well. You will get 3 different spring weights for your bolt when you buy a Kidd, so you can tune it to the ammo you shoot most often (sub-sonic, standard velocity, or high velocity).

Video about Supergrade...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_Ur6kFpe0

Link to build your rifle...
    https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Supergrade-Premium-Rifle-Custom-Build_p_159.html

For hunting, I'd choose a single stage trigger...probably in the 3.5-4.5 lb range. I compete in Rimfire Sporter with a Kidd single stage set at about 3.1 lbs. The two stage triggers are really nice, but perhaps a little light for hunting purposes.

Go with a 16.5" ultralight barrel. Accuracy will be excellent and guaranteed at 1 moa. You could consider buying another barrel, perhaps heavier, for some bench/rest target work. Barrel swap out is very easy, as seen if video linked above.

The Magpul stock with this build is fully adjustable for proper comb and lop. Something you typically don't find in, say a Tikka T1X (which has too low of a comb for a scope imo). Also, the polymer stock will be impervious to moisture, etc.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom