• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    So back in March SA was running their occasional special when you buy an M1A you'll get 2 free mags and a free scope mount with it. Seeing I was having an interest in adding an M1A to the collection I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I had my heart set on the Socom 16 (don't ask, just opinion) and it just so happened that PSA had the Socom's on sale at $1199 with a Kryptek camo pattern. Sold. After I got it home I submitted the what I needed to online and within 2 weeks I had my free stuff. Being a complete newb to M1A's I figured the flash suppressor would thread off and I could throw the can on...I was partially right. So after a lot more investigating and part shopping I finally ended up with the components I needed to throw the can on. Then on a Saturday afternoon in May I put the scope mount on, swapped the flash hider with the 5/8-24 threaded gas block, adjustable gas plug and a swivel stud attachment in the front (in lieu of swapping the front loop with a rail). This way I can throw a Harris style on the stud and run the sling on the loops. It didn't take long to realize the stock was not meant to run optics with. I'm using some low pro Seekins rings I had and picked up a nice Leupold 3-9. Decided the Leupold was a bit much, played some musical optics and ended up with the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on top. I'm really wanting to use this as a woods gun this year for deer season but one more thing I would like to have is a cheek riser for the stock. I know I could just go cruise Amazon and probably find something but I wanted some input before buying something. Is there a cheek riser better than others or better suited for the M1A? That's the info I'm seeking before I drop coin on something. FYI...I haven't shot this gun yet. It just hasn't been in the cards for me. Now it's getting down to crunch time and I need to get this thing going.
    be7Xm1M.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Search for a "M14 MRT cheek pad"
    New old stock, used or repro will fill your wants well.

Thats what was issued when needed for the M14 and will work on the Garand.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have a nylon cheekriser that I have no use for. I bought it for a scoped M1A that I soon unscoped. PM me is you want it. three heights. Brown. Atteches to buttstock with velcro straps

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Search for a "M14 MRT cheek pad"
    New old stock, used or repro will fill your wants well.

Thats what was issued when needed for the M14 and will work on the Garand.

I have a nylon cheekriser that I have no use for. I bought it for a scoped M1A that I soon unscoped. PM me is you want it. three heights. Brown. Atteches to buttstock with velcro straps

CP's suggestion is not tall enough. slough's suggestion may be what I have, not sure.

What you need is this:
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/cheekpieceadjustablecombpieceblack.aspx

This is what it looks like:
    M1-AF-Class.jpg

Edit: I've successfully shot respectable groups (not class winning but middle of the pack) with this setup at 1,000 yds. Yes Virginia, a tight M1-A will make 10 inch groups at a thousand. Follow me for more recipies.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Check out the TNVC stock risers for another option. The price went up to where I decided it was more than warranted for how rarely I had a scope on the M1A, so I ended up using a Triad Tactical stock pouch with some Victory Company plastic cheek piece risers designed for their Titan 10/22 stock taped underneath. Triad also has some Velcro strips you can stack underneath to get some rise, but they did not fill out the contour well for the higher rise needed on the M1A.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    So I may have forgotten about this thread after the last time I checked it (which was shortly after the last post was made) but I did end up with a riser. First off thanks for the replies. Sloughfoot, thanks for the offer on the bag. I should've (also forgot to) replied back saying the nylon bag didn't have my interest. Indyjohn mentioned Fulton Armory and I had ordered M1A parts from them before so I searched there. I ended up with this. https://www.fulton-armory.com/cheek-rest-adjustbale-kydex-m14-m1a-fa-by-tacpro.aspx Simple install. I used a c clamp to secure the riser to the stock when drilling the holes and had no issues...except that I had a brain fart and drilled the first 2 holes at the bottom of the slide; not at the top. Doh! Anyway it fits good and fits the bill I was looking for. Having a hollow synthetic stock made the install easy rather than drilling all the way through a wood stock. If my M1A had a wood stock then I probably would've went with the nylon bag. Thanks for the help everyone. Side note: I did shoot this suppressed the weekend before gun opener and had zero issues with it. I don't have a lot of suppressor experience but I felt it was a fairly quiet setup. I was not running sub sonics either.
    iwg5q1s.jpg

Top Bottom