Airguns... not your Grandma's Red Ryder BB gun anymore!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chuck26287

Plinker
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Through a recent administrative infraction, I was communicating with an Admin (Bigtanker). I was explaining the reason I had pretty much stopped contributing content to INGO, and was only around to read an occasional post from a digest email that really caught my eye, or posting an ad in the classifieds. I was significantly lead poisoned a few years back from heavy indoor shooting with no exhaust and inadequate air filtration. I have since moved from powder burners to airguns to substantially reduce my lead risks. I have always looked at INGO as a firearms site, and have done my content contributing to a dedicated airgun forum since changing to airguns, but Bigtanker pointed out there are a few running threads on airguns, and he thought I could contribute some airgun content, particularly relative to my passion for PCP (pre-charged pneumatics) airguns, that a moderate number of INGO members would find worthwhile, or at least interesting.

So, I became a Site Supporter to compensate the site for using the classified while not actively contributing, and I'm going to take a shot at starting an ongoing thread about airguns (perhaps it could become a STICKY, or even an airgun Sub-Forum category?) that will hopefully go somewhere, and be found to be enjoyable and enlightening to those with little or no exposure to today's airguns.

First off... while I kept a couple Sigs for personal carry, and my custom AR-15, I sold off the rest of the firearms to fund my airgun fun. Make no mistake about it, there is NO difference between firearms and airguns when it comes to the fact that you can spend as much money as you want if you get into the higher end equipment. There is also significant support equipment (air source and/or storage tanks) investment to really become independent in this discipline. There are several types of airguns, consisting of pumps, springers, PCPs, etc., covering the full range of expenses. Be prepared... the money hole for airguns can run every bit as deep as the one for firearms.

I am a techy person. I always enjoyed handloading for the specific harmonics of a given firearm for the best accuracy I could get. I went with PCP airguns for the power, tunability, and accuracy achievable with the higher end models. There are mechanical and pneumatic adjustments that directly correlate to the things being achieved with custom handloading to match your loads to the harmonics of your firearm, you just do it on the airgun instead of at the reloading bench.

Also… I’m an accuracy snob. I really enjoy shooting groups to get that new “personal best” 5-shot group. Most of my target shooting is on our 50 yard range. However, we compete in 100 yard benchrest with our air rifles (myself, my wife and both parents). While long-range is a very relative term, many of today’s airguns will shoot sub-MOA groups (<1”) at 100 yards with pellets, and today’s airguns are extending that with slugs designed for airguns becoming a new standard for hunting and even longer-range accuracy shooting.

Enough intro on me and airguns… on to some fun stuff. Below is a photo of my actual .30 cal airgun, and a scan of one of my better 50 yard 5-shot groups. I’ve also included a couple video clips of some slomo shots. The chalk-filled ping-pong ball and spinner are on the 50 yard range backstop. The wooden branch and twig shots are at 78 yards on the opposite bank of our lake. As can be seen, these are not firearms, but accuracy can be had and difficult shots can be made. The other big advantage for us was we can shoot these where firearms would not be allowed.

Like I said… not just your Red Ryder anymore.

What do you all think? I’m sure many of you are aware of today’s airguns, but any of you look at this and say “I had no idea”? Looking forward to seeing what people have to say, and whether airguns can become a routine posting sub-topic at INGO. I’ve missed this site.

Chucks Custom Impact X MKII - Isolated - NR.jpg

50 Yard 5 Shot Sub-Quarter-Inch.jpg

[video=youtube_share;H-5T3ftU8HM]http://youtu.be/H-5T3ftU8HM[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;CoPahvw5GQk]http://youtu.be/CoPahvw5GQk[/video]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ted's Holdover is another really cool YouTube channel chock full of airgun hunting goodness and product reviews.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Yep... Ted was my very first exposure to airguns beyond my childhood Crossman 760 Pump Master. I blame him for everything. Funny thing is, when I looked up what he was shooting and what it cost, I can remember thinking "no way I would EVER spend that much on just an airgun."

Who woulda thunk...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here are three we're currently using. The middle one is the oddball.

hPcCABN.png

It's the Norinco .22 cal side cocker. The sucker is heavy. All steel (I think) and wood. It sure is fun. Accuracy is pretty decent.

The top one is a Gamo Wasp. It has some power and it's really accurate.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    We have a couple of guys that regularly visit the range with their air guns.

You are right, the technology has advanced and the money pit is pretty deep.

Carbon fiber tanks and high pressure pumps... One of the guys is currently on his third or fourth rig in the last year. He keeps chasing that 1/2 moa dream out there at 100 yards and refuses to be equipment limited.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Chuck. Did you see the Midway USA's Gun Stories episode about air rifles? It was very informative. I had no idea they went back a few hundred years.

Found a knock off recording of part of the episode.

[video=youtube_share;-ISj0uhZUMg]http://youtu.be/-ISj0uhZUMg[/video]

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    I hadn't seen that Gun Stories video, but it was nicely informative. I actually had one of the first Sig MCX CO2 airguns. Got it to go with one of their first gen MCX carbines. It's a wonderful concept... familiarize and train with an acurate airgun replica. However, neither had the accuracy I thought they should have. Sold them both.

The history I think is neat is I read somewhere that Lewis and Clark had an airgun
    with them
    on their famous expedition. I'm most curious about how they managed to get enough pressure to be effective back then.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A local club member here has access to a warehouse and shoots 100y indoors. Sends pics of small groups with pricey PCP guns.
    On a lesser note, RCC has indoor 10m league shooting in Jan-Feb. A lot of clubs can do this for winter fun. Makes for a nice social setting and kid friendly. We'll, it was when pre covid.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    A local club member here has access to a warehouse and shoots 100y indoors. Sends pics of small groups with pricey PCP guns.
    On a lesser note, RCC has indoor 10m league shooting in Jan-Feb. A lot of clubs can do this for winter fun. Makes for a nice social setting and kid friendly. We'll, it was when pre covid.

An INDOOR 100 yard range is every PCP airgun tuner's fantasy! I'd give my right arm to be able to test a tune and pellet combination to 100 yards without having to wonder what drift was gun/shooter, and what was wind. Some guys are truly blessed!

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I follow a guy on Instagram that uses an air gun to hunt iguanas and Egyptian geese at a couple golf courses in Florida his name is the python cowboy. I think he has you tube as well.

EyeCarry

Master
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    An INDOOR 100 yard range is every PCP airgun tuner's fantasy! I'd give my right arm to be able to test a tune and pellet combination to 100 yards without having to wonder what drift was gun/shooter, and what was wind. Some guys are truly blessed!
    Anderson to Terre Haute, two hours. What are you going to do without your trigger finger? (or are you a lefty?) Seriously though, I find this thread interesting. I have watched many rat/starling/etc youtube airgun videos and find the power quite amazing.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Gun Talk went to PR for an iguana hunt. It was pretty good. Several episodes but here is just one of them.

[video=youtube_share;wY_RDcRizYg]http://youtu.be/wY_RDcRizYg[/video]

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I hadn't seen that Gun Stories video, but it was nicely informative. I actually had one of the first Sig MCX CO2 airguns. Got it to go with one of their first gen MCX carbines. It's a wonderful concept... familiarize and train with an acurate airgun replica. However, neither had the accuracy I thought they should have. Sold them both.

The history I think is neat is I read somewhere that Lewis and Clark had an airgun
    with them
    on their famous expedition. I'm most curious about how they managed to get enough pressure to be effective back then.

The Lewis & Clark gun was discussed in that episode. (The one I linked was only a few minutes of a 30 min show). They used a hand pump. Something like 1,500 pumps to get it to full pressure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the thread topic Chuck!

I picked up a Benjamin Marauder .22 with hand pump from a gent in the classifieds a few months back. I had wanted a PCP for years, but the initial costs were prohibitive. Finally ran into a good deal on a package to get me started. It has not disappointed.

The M-Rod has been a great learning experience and from the very beginning went to dispatching coons and other varmints around the property here. I still have a lot of work to do as far as wringing out the best pellets/slugs on top of tuning the gun to my liking and shopping for some more appropriate glass.

As much good info is out there on this gun, I'm having difficulty finding a good picatinny scope mount that will screw directly into the factory tapped receiver. Lotta clamp on stuff that adapts the built in 11mm grooves to picatinny but I'd prefer something more solid to swap scopes on and off without worrying of rattling that kind of assembly loose.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    The Marauder is a great gun from what I have seen and read. I'd love to see a picture of it. Maybe we could get a "Show and Tell" Sticky for our airguns. Great for pesting, and very accurate.

My family has a small private 3-unit campground where we leave our RVs when not using them to go somewhere for a getaway. This is where we have our 50 yard range, so most of my shooting is paper punching, or spinners, or some other form of reactive knick-knacks being shot at, or just picking out something on a distant bank of the campground's lake edge, and seeing what I can hit. I love shooting groups on bullseyes, but after a while, you just want something different. We have also had an increase in chipmunks and squirrels around the birdfeeders, and the raccoons have been tearing stuff up. I am not a big hunter, but I have seen the damage these things can do, and I don't want to open our units up next spring and find the remains of something that became a nest for them to winter in. So, I have just recently taken my first three pesting shots... and the chipmunk count is down by three. Those are fast little fellers!

The raccoons are a whole new level of pest. I'm just about over with the live trapping. Probably going to dispatch a couple of those before we stow things away for the winter. I just have to move away from the mindset of recklessly using live animals for target shooting fun, and realize there is a real need for the pest elimination to prevent real damage.

Thanks for the thread topic Chuck!

I picked up a Benjamin Marauder .22 with hand pump from a gent in the classifieds a few months back. I had wanted a PCP for years, but the initial costs were prohibitive. Finally ran into a good deal on a package to get me started. It has not disappointed.

The M-Rod has been a great learning experience and from the very beginning went to dispatching coons and other varmints around the property here. I still have a lot of work to do as far as wringing out the best pellets/slugs on top of tuning the gun to my liking and shopping for some more appropriate glass.

As much good info is out there on this gun, I'm having difficulty finding a good picatinny scope mount that will screw directly into the factory tapped receiver. Lotta clamp on stuff that adapts the built in 11mm grooves to picatinny but I'd prefer something more solid to swap scopes on and off without worrying of rattling that kind of assembly loose.

Butch627

Master
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I horse traded my way into a 4500psi carbon fiber tank with a couple of years left on it, now my biggest quest is a way to fill it at home for minimal cost. I have seen a couple of vids of hand pumps connected to electric motors and shoebox compressors but am still looking for more options. I am not against building a rig around a hand pump but I am concerned about the durability of hand pumps long term. I got a 25 cal marauder but would go 22 if starting over. 25 cal pellets are expensive and are not on the shelves at any local establishments.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I want one of the .357 PCPs just for the novelty of them. Ive seen videos of guys hog hunting with them. its nuts.

Sadly, I just cant justify the cost of one.

Top Bottom