• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    I am considering my first shotgun, but don't really know where to start. Definitely looking for a budget option and don't mind if it is used.

I am interested in trying shooting sports, but would like it to be serviceable for home defense as well. Are those somewhat mutually exclusive (long/short barrel)?

Help point me in the right direction. Thanks

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If you can find it in stock... (Good luck!)

mav88.jpg

https://www.mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-security-field-combo-31014/

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I vote Mossberg 500. Not that much more than an 88 but a better gun.

MSRP on the Mossberg 500 security/field combo is $493. MSRP on the Mossberg Maverick 88 combo is $266. The OP asked for a budget option.

The 500 is honestly not that much better than a Maverick 88. In fact, they are the same gun with only minor differences that don't affect usability or durability.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

linuxhack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2020
    Clarksville
    Is this common? Do all/most shotguns have the ability to easily swap barrels? If I can't find the combo does it make sense to just get one of the barrels now and add another at a later date?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Is this common? Do all/most shotguns have the ability to easily swap barrels? If I can't find the combo does it make sense to just get one of the barrels now and add another at a later date?

Yes, pretty much for pump shotguns. But you have to be sure that the model that you buy has different barrels available. I was in Shoot Point Blank the other day and they had some budget pump shotguns ($200ish) from makers that I've never heard of. Might be ok for a knockaround gun, but probably not compatible with other makes as far as swapping barrels, etc. It's best to stick with the major players like Mossberg or Remington. Far better aftermarket support for them.

Bwframe is kinda right about the 870 being a standard, except I don't think he saw the "budget" part of your post. There are actually a lot of guys that prefer the Mossberg models over the Remington 870. And you likely ain't gonna find an 870 for what you can pick up a new Maverick for. Don't let anyone kid you, a Mossberg is a fine shotgun. The Marines use the Mossberg 590, and those crayon-eaters can break an anvil in a padded room. :):

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I am considering my first shotgun, but don't really know where to start. Definitely looking for a budget option and don't mind if it is used.

I am interested in trying shooting sports, but would like it to be serviceable for home defense as well. Are those somewhat mutually exclusive (long/short barrel)?

Help point me in the right direction. Thanks
    Not related but saw your user name and had to let you know im a kali user. Been using Linux since 1st version of redhat

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    RE swapping barrels on shotguns:

It's generally quite easy to do on the 870 platform.

Also generally quite easy to do on the Mossberg 500 platform, too - but tricky at the same time. On the M500 guns, the model of the gun depends on which kinds of barrels will fit. A "Tactical" version of the 500 will have a long mag tube with the barrel attachment point way out front at the end of the mag tube. A "field" version will have a shorter mag tube and have the barrel attachment point at the end of the shorter mag tube. That means that a "tactical" barrel won't fit a "field" gun and vice versa.

If i'm wrong here, someone please correct me post-haste!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    A long time ago I came across a Mossberg model 835, pump in 12 gauge that was used but in great shape. It had two barrels, one was a rifled slug barrel and the other was a vent rib with 5 different choke tubes. It will shoot anything in 12 gauge from the shortest to the 3-1/2" loads, you might have to hand load the shorties but it will shoot them. It might not be perfect for everything but can be used for anything. Price wise it depends on the deal, I was fortunate.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    :+1:

The 835 is a great shotgun! They are not as recognized as some of Mossy's other offerings, but they are robust, reliable and versatile.

Top Bottom