• ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a new barrel for my Mossberg 590. It's a 20" barrel with an 8 shot mag. I'm looking for something for deer season and squirrel season. Is there something out there that's rifled and accepts chokes? $200-300 hopefully. :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What barrel do you have now?

I think the 590 barrel is the same as the 500 so the options are vast.

If it's rifled, a choke isn't needed. There is the option of a rifled choke though. If you have a smooth bore already, it's fine for everything but deer.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    For deer season I would look at a cantilevered slug barrel. Dedicated and any scope will not have to removed and installed just for a barrel change.

I agree any 500 barrel should fit. But I’m an 870 guy so don’t hold me to that comment.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Many deer have been taken with smooth bore barrels and rifled slugs. Have had them be just as accurate at 50 yards as rifled barrels. There have been more than a few articles on the subject. Agree rifled is better especially if you want to shoot 100 yards or more.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You have the 8 shot version so standard 500 barrels WILL NOT FIT.

A way around this wuould be to replace the mag tube as well. But a new barrel and a new mag tube kit will probably get you close to the cost of a new gun.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    You have the 8 shot version so standard 500 barrels WILL NOT FIT.

A way around this wuould be to replace the mag tube as well. But a new barrel and a new mag tube kit will probably get you close to the cost of a new gun.

This is a fact. The 8 round magazine will not accept a regular 500 slug barrel. It will accept a 20" smoothbore barrel, but you already have that. Mossberg MIGHT make a slug barrel to fit the 8 round mag, but I have never ran across one.

If rifled slugs are not going to be long range/accurate enough for you, you would be better off buying another slug gun.

I hunted most of my youth with a smooth bore and rifled slugs. Never had a problem bagging deer with that combo. Always had great luck with Brenneke rifled slugs. I think they were called Rottweilers.

Top Bottom