• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I have a opportunity to buy a Windham Weaponry AR15, sight ready carbine, with a Nikon p223 scope.
    This will be my first AR, and don't know much about the brand.
    Are they any good and what do you think would be a fair price?
    Thanks for your opinions.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The notorious OG owned a Windham HBC. It's a solid, well built tool. It had a Vortex Sparc on top and she enjoyed running it. We purchased it new from a well known LGS in 2012 for $875.

Then she dropped it off a pontoon boat into Lake Monroe in 2019. :(

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Windham Weaponry has a good story. The owners of DPMS, one of the early mfg's of the AR platform, sold the company to a big corporation. They later became displeased with how that corp was running their old business. So the owners started a new company (Windham) and hired all their old employees.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    To figure out the value, you would really need to bore scope it, inspect the carrier and carrier channels and of course you should not be able to engage the safety unless bolt has been put into full battery. If all that checks out good, I would offer $500 and haggle up as much as another hundred.. just my opinion

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    Windham has a good reputation and following. Pricing is all over the map. If you are comfortable with whatever price you can negotiate then it's a fair deal

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Windham Weaponry has a good story. The owners of BUSHMASTER, one of the early mfg's of the AR platform, sold the company to a big corporation. They later became displeased with how that corp was running their old business. So the owners started a new company (Windham) and hired all their old employees.

FTFY.

Yeah I have a Windham SRC. Its a solid rifle. It's not a DD or a BCM but it's a good gun for the money. Mines been solid for a couple thousand rounds. It's a commercial spec gun not mil spec (1/9 twist, commercial buffer tube, etc.) But it's good.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Great info..the stuff you gun guys know....pretty cool

People look at weapon selection from the wrong end. They start with the gun.

It is the software that is vital, not the gun. Education leads to educated decision making--the threshold question: what are you going to do with it, or its application.

Understanding how the AR-15 works, what is important (and more importantly WHY) and what you want to do is the key to buying the right guns for you.

We are fortunate that the internet provides such an opportunity to learn. I highly recommend Small Arms Solutions on youtube. There are many other video channels, but Bartocci is the Chief Geek on the AR world, afterall, he wrote the book(s) on the subject matter. Master armorer, author of books and gun rag writer, consultant (he has worked for several AR makers), he even worked for Colt at a net loss of income just because he loved the AR so.

There are many books I and others can recommend as well.

Don't forget that in the upper tier of AR-15s are made right here in Indiana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaIB0BLeu5I

https://centurionarms.com/

Study, get trained up, THEN buy.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Windham Weaponry has a good story. The owners of BUSHMASTER, one of the early mfg's of the AR platform, sold the company to a big corporation. They later became displeased with how that corp was running their old business. So the owners started a new company (Windham) and hired all their old employees.

FTFY.

Yeah I have a Windham SRC. Its a solid rifle. It's not a DD or a BCM but it's a good gun for the money. Mines been solid for a couple thousand rounds. It's a commercial spec gun not mil spec (1/9 twist, commercial buffer tube, etc.) But it's good.

Ooof! I ran off the road on that one. Thanks for correcting it.

I'll blame the bourbon.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The notorious OG owned a Windham HBC. It's a solid, well built tool. It had a Vortex Sparc on top and she enjoyed running it. We purchased it new from a well known LGS in 2012 for $875.

Then she dropped it off a pontoon boat into Lake Monroe in 2019. :(

Condolences on your loss.

SolidDragon74

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2020
    Northern
    Heard Windham is a good brand but never owned one. However I do have a Nikon p223 scope and I do like it. Has held zero well for range use. I like the idea of the BDC reticle but have not used it to see how on it was for my ammo.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    https://www.windhamweaponry.com/ It was actually Bushmaster, not DPMS. Bushmaster Firearms was a company in Bangor, Maine, that went bankrupt and was purchased by Richard Dyke in 1976 and moved to Windham, Maine.[SUP][1][/SUP] According to a Maine newspaper, it was later sold by Dyke to Cerberus , that big Remington, Marlin, DPMS, H&R , Para-Ordnance conglomo. After 5 years, Ceberus moved the manufacturing out of Windham. When the people who bought Bushmaster in 2006 decided to move it “lock, stock and barrel” out of Maine to New York in 2011, the original Bushmaster owner, Mr. Richard Dyke was left with both a dilemma and an opportunity. Almost to the day of the 2011 move, Mr. Dyke’s non-compete clause expired. He still owned the property where Bushmaster had been built, and knew all the workers – now laid off – who had helped him build it. He made a decision to “get back in the game” and promptly put an email out to many of his former employees and friends asking if there was interest in joining him for a new project. And Windham Weaponry was created.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom