• Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Blasphemer! Lol.
    It serves what purpose it was designed for WHEN it was designed. That being said, it may not be as tacticool as modern productions, but it has its place still.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I actually have a 336 in thuty-thuty next to my bed, as we speak.......tried pocket carry, but was a bit much......

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I wouldn't put my Win94 up against my HK91 in a field test. Then again no one is grabbing a Win94 to go to war against an opponent carrying G3s. However, if something needs shooting I wouldn't hesitate to do so with my Win.

Some of his points are valid...but only in a this is my only gun (and I'm going to beat it to crap) sort of way.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    He had some good points, however, I've seen a lot more rustbucket bolts than Levers.
    I've lost count of the number of lever action rifles that have come and gone. We still have 6 of them here.
    Overall, I feel levers are more forgiving as far as ammunition ( reloads ).
    Nothing carries and handles better for me than a trapper version of the lever action.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    His points appear to be valid and he makes a good case against using a lever as first choice in a zombie apocalypse. That said, I have one strictly because it is fun and interesting.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Lever guns are fun and useful. Plus, my modest Marlin collection, acquired over the years, is the best investment dollars I ever spent. I'm easily up over 100% gain, and if things get dicey on the AR front, will probably gain even more value. If it comes to it, and I can no longer buy 9mm or .223, I'll have the tools and ammo to shoot 32 H&R, 38/357, 41 mag, 44 mag and 45 Colt. In other brand levers I have 17hmr, 22, 22mag, 327 mag. Quite a versatile platform.

Now I need to go watch the linked video :) .

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Let's see,
    Levers in,
    .22lr
    .22WMR
    .327 Fedmag
    .327 Fedmag
    .35 Rem
    .44mag
    .30-30 Win
    .45-70 Gvt

Yeah, I've found a use for them...

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    My 2 cents. Picked up a 336 that had been used in a hunters Ed. Program. It had deen deactivated by removing the firing pin, filling the bolt with JB weld, and removed the lock bolt. After a rebuild, cutting the barrel to16 1/4",`shorten the mag, and mounted a small 2.5 power SG scope, low as I could get it. Shoulder, you're looking right thru the scope, hits right where you put the crosshairs. Taca-uncool as all get out. Never feel unarmed with it. People seem to forget only hits count. Cool won't save your bacon.><>:cool:Duce

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I still have a lever action in .357 Mag to match my single action. Both might be cowboy guns but I have killed plenty of javelina and Russian boar with clean head shots with both. I mounted an uncool tang peep sights on the 'shucker. My Ruger came with adjustables. I'd like to find a decent price on a bolt action in .357 w/ stainless steel and real wood.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    In review I understand that no platform is perfect. When the M16/AR15 was introduced, a change in powder cause many stoppages [carbon build up]. The gun shop I hung around in couldn't keep powdered graphite in stock, wives and parents sending it to Viet Nam. Even the Garand had teething problems. Shoot I'm still looking for the perfect hunting rifle. Maybe that's the reason if you got one gun, you'll have two, and so on and on and on.
    :cool:
    <><Duce[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

357Slinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Sellersburg
    Savage 99 Lever - .308 & .243

I had a couple of sweet Savage 99 lever guns from the 1950's. One in .308, the other in .243. They were both good shooters and very reliable. The rotary magazine made them unique. Mine had a brass round counter window on the side of the receiver. I never had any trouble with them. Back in 2006 prices got to where it was too tempting not to SELL them.

Arthur Savage was ahead of his time with their design but I think they got too expensive to build, etc etc. You never hear anyone talk about them when discussing lever guns. They could handle spitzer type bullets because there was no issues with stacking like in a tubular magazine. I think they were chambered in .300 Savage (of course), .243, 22-250, .358 Win, .308 Win. Pic below is stock, not one of mine.

Savage-Model-99-11.jpg

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    All in all I think Lucky Gunner's points are valid. But nothing he pointed out makes me want to turn loose any of my Henrys, they've all been as reliable and accurate as I had hoped. But I have had the occasional malfunction which was MY fault by short-stroking the lever, or not cycling the lever with some authority. One thing he pointed out is the implied simplicity of a manually operated firearm vs. a semi-auto. I've found this to be true, levers DO have lots of things going on much like a revolver vs. a semi-auto pistol. I had always considered revolvers to be more simple and reliable than a semi-auto pistol until I took the sideplate off one of my S&W revolvers. Lots of clockwork bits and pieces in there that need to work in unison to keep a revolver in time. But like my levers, I'm not about to let go of any revolvers.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Keep those screws tight. Keep the ammo on pistol cartridge types rounded. Find screw drivers that fit your screw heads.
    those of use who have always used lever action rifles and 870 shotguns don’t have lots of issues. We know how to stroke our levers like stroking our (well this is a family sight).

Ruger bought marlin. They do cast receivers. They cast stuff well. Still a cast receiver 39a to me will not be a 39a.

Top Bottom