• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    There are plenty of options available for side charging uppers. Give a look at Bear Creek Arsenal or Red X Arms. I had one, enjoyed it and then traded it away

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Perhaps this has been exhausted in other threads but why wasn't the AR designed with a ambi side charging bolt?

Because on the original prototypes the gas tube on the (port) side and the top cocking piece was ambi.

By Prototype 2 Sullivan moved the gas tube topside inside and the cocking piece grew a "cage" around it to protect it just like the AR-10

SgLXOB_ocjZnTOgsCyHsPghIHqzGl4uUQK5zOTSkVRtLRfSaGRVv7o0x7BFZ6P8nNBBN914ltw94QLCofpd7nTg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Jim Sullivan is still with us. He lives in Florida and still works in his shop even at his advanced age.

Sullivan is known for both military firearms-- The Stoner 63, Ultimax 100 LMG, the MGX,
    and COTS--Ruger Mini-14 and the Ruger M77. He also worked for Beretta for several years.

Sullivan is even now working on improvements of his MGX, a remarkable SAW variant, hoping to obtain military contracts.

Sullivan also has a PIP M4 which fires close bolt on semi and open bolt on full auto.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are plenty of options available for side charging uppers. Give a look at Bear Creek Arsenal or Red X Arms. I had one, enjoyed it and then traded it away

I have a side charger and it has been a serious pain in my butt. I believe it is sorted now. but it can be painful. Literally.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There are now COTS side charging weapons but if your question is about design then I will answer "human inertia". In 1957 the gas tube was in the way so just leave the ambi cocking piece topside like daddy, the AR-10.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A side charging AR-10 nearly became the M110.

However, in a shoot off JP Enterprises side charge went down, the Knight's SR-25 kept going.

(JP Enterprise did not drill and pin, KAC does)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the good info guys, I know some builders worry about the bolt side charger coming loose either hitting the shooter or jamming the weapon. Of the ones I shot I liked being able to work the bolt with the gun mounted.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks for the good info guys, I know some builders worry about the bolt side charger coming loose either hitting the shooter or jamming the weapon. Of the ones I shot I liked being able to work the bolt with the gun mounted.

There are pros and cons to every engineering endeavor. Always will be.

If Sullivan moved the charging handle to the side a la the FAL or G3, INGO would be full of threads about what a bad idea that was.

You can work the bolt with the gun mounted regardless of where the charging handle is. The charging handle is always the devil in the AR system, regardless of where it is.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Eugene M. Stoner with side-charging G3, at 31:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xmtQ9f7NuY

If Stoner moved the charging handle from the top to the side instead of the back, there would be 39.134 threads on INGO where the topic would be why the side charging handles stinks so bad and why it should be on the top or at the back of the upper receiver.

All kinds of teeth-talking "that thar side-a-chargin' handle dun gets caught up on cover". Over and over and over we would hear the complaints.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Eugene M. Stoner with side-charging G3, at 31:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xmtQ9f7NuY

If Stoner moved the charging handle from the top to the side instead of the back, there would be 39.134 threads on INGO where the topic would be why the side charging handles stinks so bad and why it should be on the top or at the back of the upper receiver.

All kinds of teeth-talking "that thar side-a-chargin' handle dun gets caught up on cover". Over and over and over we would hear the complaints.

Umm, there would be,(and are) complaints about everything. Regardless of location.

You could grow an arm in the middle of your forehead and it would be perfect for blowing your nose while your other hands were full and people would still want an egg in their beer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Umm, there would be,(and are) complaints about everything. Regardless of location.

You could grow an arm in the middle of your forehead and it would be perfect for blowing your nose while your other hands were full and people would still want an egg in their beer.

I object to your post and wish to loudly complain about it.

Top Bottom