Recommendations for budget 22lr bolt action.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Ruger American Rimfire is pretty good.

I've got one and it's a good value for what you get. Well made, very accurate for an out of the box new gun, plenty of upgrade suggestions on line.
    I have my trigger less than 2 lbs. It likes most any ammo which helps in this time of hoarding and shortages.
    Ruger Service if needed is an added bonus.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Not sure what the intended use is, but have shot very accurate Marlin 25s. Used ones should be under budget.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Ruger American Rimfire is pretty good.

I've got one and it's a good value for what you get. Well made, very accurate for an out of the box new gun, plenty of upgrade suggestions on line.
    I have my trigger less than 2 lbs. It likes most any ammo which helps in this time of hoarding and shortages.
    Ruger Service if needed is an added bonus.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look at the American.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The Ruger American is a good option. You might also want to look at the Savage Mark II rifles. They are very affordable and accurate.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I'll second the Savage Mark II rifles. I have a Mark II FV, which is the heavy barrel version. It is deadly accurate with the right ammunition and is reasonably priced.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    The Ruger American is a good option. You might also want to look at the Savage Mark II rifles. They are very affordable and accurate.

I'll second the Savage Mark II rifles. I have a Mark II FV, which is the heavy barrel version. It is deadly accurate with the right ammunition and is reasonably priced.

I saw a YouTube video about the Mark II. They seemed to like it also. I'll give it a look too.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've got a Marlin XT22. It's a great little bolt action. Can be had in mag or tube fed. Mine is tube fed. Picked it up used for $125 and it came with scope and bipod. Shoots .5-1" group at 50 yards depending on ammo I use

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Ballard rifled Marlin 80 or 81 those were made pre 1953. Current pricing is around 150 to 175. The 81 is a tube fed bolt the 80 is a mag fed.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Ruger American as already stated. Good enough accuracy, easy to customize, reliable mags, lots of variations. Only downside is Ruger's QC can be spotty at times but they'll fix any problems you have.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have a Savage Mark II - I have a scope on it. Functions well. I got it maybe 10 years ago at Wal-Mart for $175.
    Recently I bought an old Winchester 67 from Gunbroker for $185. I cleaned it up and man that gun is accurate. My wife actually likes it - just old iron sights on the gun. This weekend she used 19 different kinds of .22LR with the Winchester 67 to see how accurate it was. She shot only a few with each ammo. She was able to get bullseyes with each of the 19 ammo (from junk ammo like Thunderbolts to the higher Eley & Match ammo). If you don't mind an old used classic I recommend the Winchester 67.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Speaking of old used classics, don't overlook some of the Mossberg offerings. I've found them to be very accurate and just really well-built rifles. Here's my 346KA.

FE5Li91.jpg

Top Bottom