Remington 700: Bolt Handle Out of Timing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Hi everybody.

I have a Remington 700 Police LTR that has always been a little difficult to extract a shell from. Recently, I can't get it to extract at all, without giving the bolt handle a hard whack. Did a little research online, and it appears that this is a common issue with models bearing an "RR" serial number prefix. Upon closer inspection, it appears the handle & bolt are out of timing, and the bolt body isn't engaging the cam at all....

For my long range nuts, what course of action would you take?

Looks like my options are to have someone weld on it, or possibly put something like a PTG bolt in it. I'm also going to contact Remington and see if they'll make it right, but am not holding my breath. I've had the barrel threaded and Badger knob installed, so I've probably voided any warranty (that is likely expired at this point).

Also, what gunsmith does INGO collectively like nowadays? Tried calling AJ Brown, and can't seem to reach him.

I honestly love this rifle. It easily clover leaf's shots at 100 meters, with factory 168gr AMAX. I've had custom bolt guns that I had a fortune wrapped up in, that don't come close to shooting like this one does.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The handle can be removed and indexed correctly then reattached. They are just silver soldiered on. I have done it but I am not a pro, so I am not volunteering. ;)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Look up user “Dans40X” over on Accurateshooter. “Time and Tig” is his gig, and he’s done literal thousands. He is THE guy.

If that doesn’t work, then call John Scandale at Keystone Accuracy, or Chad Dixon at Long Rifles, Inc. (LRI).

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh yeah. And F PTG dude.

If you go the new bolt route (NOT that you should), Mack Bros. is the bolt. It’ll probably be straight, for one....

Top Bottom