Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is Mossberg 930 a Good Choice for Me?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

OP do you have a set budget in this search....?????
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Plinker

User Info Menu

I really appreciate all of the help and advice you guys have offered so far. There have been some comments about the longest distance for defending my castle. While the downstairs of my home is a bit more open, the reality is I would likely be upstairs during a home invasion situation and the upstairs layout is such that there's really only one possibility over 25 ft. More likely I think we're talking 15 ft or less to be in direct line of sight. So that does bring up another concern I had. Let's just say my castle ain't made of stone. There's only drywall, plywood, and vinyl siding separating me from neighbors on either side, perhaps only about 20 ft away. Not planning to move any time soon. I understand I need ammo that will get the job done and keep my family safe, but I thought maybe the shotgun options would limit the possibility of injuring someone in a neighboring home if I were to miss my target. But I'm guessing it's a situation where you can't have it both ways - deadly within my house but not so deadly on the other side of some cheap building materials.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ebox13 View Post
    I really appreciate all of the help and advice you guys have offered so far. There have been some comments about the longest distance for defending my castle. While the downstairs of my home is a bit more open, the reality is I would likely be upstairs during a home invasion situation and the upstairs layout is such that there's really only one possibility over 25 ft. More likely I think we're talking 15 ft or less to be in direct line of sight. So that does bring up another concern I had. Let's just say my castle ain't made of stone. There's only drywall, plywood, and vinyl siding separating me from neighbors on either side, perhaps only about 20 ft away. Not planning to move any time soon. I understand I need ammo that will get the job done and keep my family safe, but I thought maybe the shotgun options would limit the possibility of injuring someone in a neighboring home if I were to miss my target. But I'm guessing it's a situation where you can't have it both ways - deadly within my house but not so deadly on the other side of some cheap building materials.

If you hit tissue before the wall your wall should stop the rest. If you miss the are tons of research based papers and tons of videos demonstrating 00 and steel shot go much further through building materials than expanding rifle rounds. At these distances your shot pattern is going to be tight enough to consider it similar to a rifle round for all practical purposes.

With a shotgun make sure you're accurate, know your pattern, get a good weapon light. Your pattern will be inches not feet

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    If you hit tissue before the wall your wall should stop the rest. If you miss the are tons of research based papers and tons of videos demonstrating 00 and steel shot go much further through building materials than expanding rifle rounds. At these distances your shot pattern is going to be tight enough to consider it similar to a rifle round for all practical purposes.

With a shotgun make sure you're accurate, know your pattern, get a good weapon light. Your pattern will be inches not feet
    I missed out on the 00 part of this discussion. No we do not use 00 buck except to kill a car.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I missed out on the 00 part of this discussion. No we do not use 00 buck except to kill a car.
    What do you use for HD?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    What do you use for HD?
    #4 in a 2 3/4" shell. Not sure of the FPS but fairly fast. It will girdle the bark off a live tree with ease.
    For fun we run 3" Hypersonic #2.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

#4 in a 2 3/4" shell. Not sure of the FPS but fairly fast. It will girdle the bark off a live tree with ease.
    THIS. #4 is still formidable. Thats 24-28 .25 caliber balls hitting your target at once. A great way to incapacitate a person, but wont over penetrate drywall, etc. As a handgun you'd say ".25acp is a lousy defensive choice" But what if you could instantly empty 4 MAGAZINES from your .25 Jennings into a perp all at once? Not so puny now, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

I can say with certainty that the Hypersonic will get your attention.
    Well....uh.......I got nothing man.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This guy went full Brussel Sprouts.

The Constitution: It doesn’t need to be rewritten; it needs to be reread.
    INGO # 23,621

Master

User Info Menu

I feel it's my obligation to mention there's a VEPR 12 in the classys right now for a completely decent price... If you're gonna go with a 12ga autoloader, an AK shotgun is just.. well, it's an AK shotgun.

User Info Menu

If you can find it, I agree with the #4 buckshot......

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast