• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I'm looking to purchase my first gun and have just started researching shotguns for home defense. The Mossberg 930 rose to the top of the list. I realize I might be overly enamored with the idea of a semi-automatic shotgun with a pistol grip, but reviews seemed solid. Your thoughts for a first-timer? Keep in mind that I don't plan to shoot this gun all that often recreationally. Obviously enough for training, practice, and to keep it in good working order, but really considering it more as an option for home protection. Thanks!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have owned more than a few 930's and they are pretty much trouble free. I did get a stinker from an Ingo member that fibbed to me as too it running perfectly. Easy fix and off to the races.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Concerning reliability as compared to a pump action, here's my thought process. If I had several weapons to choose from and I needed to be sure that I would not encounter a jam or misfire at that very moment, then perhaps I'd grab the pump. But if I only owned one shotgun, and I'm probably not the fastest or most accurate shot (at least not without some more practice), and nerves are high, the ability to get several more shots off in rapid succession without requiring a great deal of thought or muscle memory seems to me worth the tradeoff. Is that rationale sound?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just dont buy the one an INGO flipper is selling. He offered me a plain jane used 930 for $50 more than I can buy a 930 JM Pro brand new. (when they are available) Sorry, but $700 is not reasonable for a $400 gun. :):

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Concerning reliability as compared to a pump action, here's my thought process. If I had several weapons to choose from and I needed to be sure that I would not encounter a jam or misfire at that very moment, then perhaps I'd grab the pump. But if I only owned one shotgun, and I'm probably not the fastest or most accurate shot (at least not without some more practice), and nerves are high, the ability to get several more shots off in rapid succession without requiring a great deal of thought or muscle memory seems to me worth the tradeoff. Is that rationale sound?

Flawed. Shotguns are actually one of the harder to use guns. My sawed off patterns 00 buck in a 6" group at 15 yards my full sized shotguns are much tighter. This means Despite what people say, aiming and accuracy are critical with a shotgun. Semi autos bring challenges all their own to the game, while they are faster than a pump they have ammo compatability issues. You should always go full power in an auto for defensive use. The reduced recoil loads will give you a problem eventually. So that means you're eating the recoil making follow up shots difficult if you don't train.

Get an ar15 and defensive ammo.

But if you love punishment and excessively long guns there are better autos in that price range.
    The stoeger m3k is the king of budget inertia guns. Franchi affinity is a wonderful stick. 930's have spotty reliability records in 3 gun, it's generally the first gun people ask about followed by 100s of stories of operating issues and m3k suggestions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just dont buy the one an INGO flipper is selling. He offered me a plain jane used 930 for $50 more than I can buy a 930 JM Pro brand new. (when they are available) Sorry, but $700 is not reasonable for a $400 gun. :):

OK I am calling you out on this one Mr Monkey Man.....:):

I have not see a 930 at $400 in years.

And I crack up laughing at the prices I see them at in the classies. Hilarious.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK I am calling you out on this one Mr Monkey Man.....:):

I have not see a 930 at $400 in years.

And I crack up laughing at the prices I see them at in the classies. Hilarious.

I fat fingered that. It was $500. 499 at Gander shortly before they closed (and before clearance). But all they had was that crappy camo wrapped monstrosity.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I fat fingered that. It was $500. 499 at Gander shortly before they closed (and before clearance). But all they had was that crappy camo wrapped monstrosity.

OK I feel slightly better now. The prices I was seeing are quite a bit higher. But as pointed out, nothing in stock anyway.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Flawed. Shotguns are actually one of the harder to use guns. My sawed off patterns 00 buck in a 6" group at 15 yards my full sized shotguns are much tighter. This means Despite what people say, aiming and accuracy are critical with a shotgun. Semi autos bring challenges all their own to the game, while they are faster than a pump they have ammo compatability issues. You should always go full power in an auto for defensive use. The reduced recoil loads will give you a problem eventually. So that means you're eating the recoil making follow up shots difficult if you don't train.

Get an ar15 and defensive ammo.

But if you love punishment and excessively long guns there are better autos in that price range.
    The stoeger m3k is the king of budget inertia guns. Franchi affinity is a wonderful stick. 930's have spotty reliability records in 3 gun, it's generally the first gun people ask about followed by 100s of stories of operating issues and m3k suggestions.

Thanks for that. Much to think about. I'll look into the m3k too. I would definitely like to work my way up to an AR. I've had the opportunity to fire one on a few occasions and it was really comfortable and a lot of fun. But figured I'd start down the road of a shotgun while I learn more and get my paperwork filed for future acquisitions.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg

Are there a lot of scams in the classifieds on this site? I mean I know they're out there everywhere. Just wondering if the fact that this is more of a self-policing community helps keep it to a minimum.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks for that. Much to think about. I'll look into the m3k too. I would definitely like to work my way up to an AR. I've had the opportunity to fire one on a few occasions and it was really comfortable and a lot of fun. But figured I'd start down the road of a shotgun while I learn more and get my paperwork filed for future acquisitions.

What paperwork? You really do have it reversed though. Shotgun is the master class. A weekend with reveres will set you on a good path with an AR. Shotguns take years

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, how much ammo do you plan on stocking for said gun? The reason I ask, is that most cartridges are cheaper than 12 ga 00 buck, or 12 ga slugs - maybe half the cost. At some point, that catches up with you.

Just an example (even in these weird times): 1k rounds of 5.56 = $750 [1], 1k rounds of 12 ga 00 buck = $2,598 [2]. That's a $1,848-ish difference in cost - just in ammo. Scale accordingly. *

So, if you're thinking of "saving money" up front with a shotgun, it could eventually catch up with you in ammo costs. Not to mention shotgun shells are heavier and bulkier, than say, 5.56. And, different shells will likely pattern differently in a particular shotgun.

That's not to say you shouldn't get a shotgun. Just something of which to be aware.

* Both of these come from ammoseek.com and were the first rounds in the list sorted by price that I'd buy (not including crap loads).
    [1] - https://usarmorment.com/nbsp556-nat...r-xtac-fmjbt-556x-1000-round-case-p-2217.html
    [2] - https://www.finfeatherfur.com/winchester-12-gauge-2-75-razorback-xt-00-buck-5-rounds/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are there a lot of scams in the classifieds on this site? I mean I know they're out there everywhere. Just wondering if the fact that this is more of a self-policing community helps keep it to a minimum.

We stay on top of this site. The membership usually responds to anything that smells "Wrong"
    This is not armslist. But members are free to price their items as they see fit. It is just obvious who wants to sell and who is trying to turn a buck. Use your head.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What paperwork? You really do have it reversed though. Shotgun is the master class. A weekend with reveres will set you on a good path with an AR. Shotguns take years

Man sometimes you amaze me. Seriously. Shotguns are not that hard to master at all. My kids and everyone else I put behind one caught on easily enough.
    We have all been running and sharing them and see the only set back is the recoil anticipation that folks tend to develop when some nut job puts them behind one with Hypersonics in the mag tube. Stop scaring the kids OK.

I do understand people believing they are a home defense Talisman. As with any fire arm time behind it is the key.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Here I go again with my silly theory about self defense long guns. If you are in fact taking about home defense, as in within your home, consider the longest range shot you might have to take. In my case, the longest shot physically possible inside the house is around 60'. A much more likely shot would be closer to the length of your bedroom. I'm not talking about defending the castle against a hostile horde outside. YMMV.

ebox13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I was referring to a license to carry a handgun, eventually. As far as purchasing, owning, and securely transporting legal firearms to the range in Indiana, no permit/license is necessary, correct?

I can definitely see a shotgun taking a whole lot of practice. I surprised myself with my accuracy the first time I fired handguns. Not great of course but I did better than the owner with one or two of them. My performance with an assortment of rifles was mixed. The shotgun... not so impressive but still a whole lot of fun.

Top Bottom