Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mossberg 930 a Good Choice for Me?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Is Mossberg 930 a Good Choice for Me?

I'm looking to purchase my first gun and have just started researching shotguns for home defense. The Mossberg 930 rose to the top of the list. I realize I might be overly enamored with the idea of a semi-automatic shotgun with a pistol grip, but reviews seemed solid. Your thoughts for a first-timer? Keep in mind that I don't plan to shoot this gun all that often recreationally. Obviously enough for training, practice, and to keep it in good working order, but really considering it more as an option for home protection. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Not a bad choice.....pump are generally more simple a mechanism and easier to maintain.
    Regardless of what you choose, you need to practice...nothing beats trigger time!

Plinker

User Info Menu

I hear ya. Thanks for the quick feedback.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Have owned more than a few 930's and they are pretty much trouble free. I did get a stinker from an Ingo member that fibbed to me as too it running perfectly. Easy fix and off to the races.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Plinker

User Info Menu

Concerning reliability as compared to a pump action, here's my thought process. If I had several weapons to choose from and I needed to be sure that I would not encounter a jam or misfire at that very moment, then perhaps I'd grab the pump. But if I only owned one shotgun, and I'm probably not the fastest or most accurate shot (at least not without some more practice), and nerves are high, the ability to get several more shots off in rapid succession without requiring a great deal of thought or muscle memory seems to me worth the tradeoff. Is that rationale sound?

User Info Menu

I have had excellent luck with mine! It runs low and high brass. I highly recommend it!

User Info Menu

Just dont buy the one an INGO flipper is selling. He offered me a plain jane used 930 for $50 more than I can buy a 930 JM Pro brand new. (when they are available) Sorry, but $700 is not reasonable for a $400 gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ebox13 View Post
    Concerning reliability as compared to a pump action, here's my thought process. If I had several weapons to choose from and I needed to be sure that I would not encounter a jam or misfire at that very moment, then perhaps I'd grab the pump. But if I only owned one shotgun, and I'm probably not the fastest or most accurate shot (at least not without some more practice), and nerves are high, the ability to get several more shots off in rapid succession without requiring a great deal of thought or muscle memory seems to me worth the tradeoff. Is that rationale sound?
    Flawed. Shotguns are actually one of the harder to use guns. My sawed off patterns 00 buck in a 6" group at 15 yards my full sized shotguns are much tighter. This means Despite what people say, aiming and accuracy are critical with a shotgun. Semi autos bring challenges all their own to the game, while they are faster than a pump they have ammo compatability issues. You should always go full power in an auto for defensive use. The reduced recoil loads will give you a problem eventually. So that means you're eating the recoil making follow up shots difficult if you don't train.

Get an ar15 and defensive ammo.

But if you love punishment and excessively long guns there are better autos in that price range.
    The stoeger m3k is the king of budget inertia guns. Franchi affinity is a wonderful stick. 930's have spotty reliability records in 3 gun, it's generally the first gun people ask about followed by 100s of stories of operating issues and m3k suggestions.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Just dont buy the one an INGO flipper is selling. He offered me a plain jane used 930 for $50 more than I can buy a 930 JM Pro brand new. (when they are available) Sorry, but $700 is not reasonable for a $400 gun.
    OK I am calling you out on this one Mr Monkey Man.....

I have not see a 930 at $400 in years.

And I crack up laughing at the prices I see them at in the classies. Hilarious.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    OK I am calling you out on this one Mr Monkey Man.....

I have not see a 930 at $400 in years.

And I crack up laughing at the prices I see them at in the classies. Hilarious.

I fat fingered that. It was $500. 499 at Gander shortly before they closed (and before clearance). But all they had was that crappy camo wrapped monstrosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast