Mossberg 500 Roadblocker (I know... hear me out)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    Okay, so yes, I admit it, I have a Mossberg 500 Roadblocker. It was not a first gun, I needed a HD-only gun and had only a hunting rifle I couldn’t swing through a hallway. So there it is.

My question for the group; I took off the muzzle brake, now the 18.5” barrel has 1.5” of thread on the outside of the barrel where the brake was. Is there anything I can use those threads for? I’m hoping there’s an improved site I can add to it or at least a cover to protect the threads. Does anyone have an idea? Other than, “that’s what you get for buying that” or the like please. I do like having the heavy-walled barrel but before just letting it collect dust, hoping to make it more practical for HD and weekend range use. Please advise!
    9ef76e2b760b0b90daa0a7d6b389f53b.jpg

- Cam

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Edit: Welcome to INGO. I hope I/we can help. This is a great community. I have learned a lot here. That being said....

2 questions:
    1. Was this device pinned?
    2. What is the barrel length after device removal?

Curious if this puts you in a predicament. I'm not sure there is much if any aftermarket support for this platform. It was a very short lived novelty with bad review. (I'm not knocking your purchase, just stating general consensus).
    I think you are better off shopping for a replacement HD barrel and calling it a day. You'll save yourself time and $ in the end. And less Tylenol.
    Maybe here: https://www.swfa.com/mossberg-model-500-barrel.html
    Seems most everyone is OOS, good luck.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Why not reinstall the flash hider? If it makes the barrel longer than you like, just cut the flash hider back to the barrel length and use it as a thread protector. If you really hate it and the barrel length is 18 + inches at the back end of the threads you could cut the barrel back. As an alternative, you could also turn down the threaded portion to eliminate the threads.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Honestly, I think you might be better off just buying a new barrel. For the price you might pay a competent gunsmith to remove the threading and add a bead, or a system for other optics, it might come close to the price of a new barrel anyways. Also, in a few years there is always the chance that "novelty" gun becomes a collector's item.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll echo the thought of just getting a new barrel assembly in the size/choke that you want. Switching them out is easy on the 500 and they sell separately the little pieces, so each barrel assembly can have its own cap/ring/etc.

I've got 3 barrel assemblies for 2 500s. :D

cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    Sure appreciate the inputs from y’all. It is a heavy barrel and I did end up picking up a second standard 18.5” barrel and that makes a massive difference in the weight. I guess i was wishing there is some type of iron site that can be added on those threads... I hate to let anything sit around serving no purpose...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sure appreciate the inputs from y’all. It is a heavy barrel and I did end up picking up a second standard 18.5” barrel and that makes a massive difference in the weight. I guess i was wishing there is some type of iron site that can be added on those threads... I hate to let anything sit around serving no purpose...

You just bought the wrong barrel. (sorry) Mossberg makes (made?) a short smooth barrel with rifle sights. (I own one) its a 18 1/2" slugster.

But I dont fault you. In trying to find a picture, I discovered they are hard to find.

Like this one

4974473_02_mossberg_500_12ga_barrel_18_1__640.jpg

But dont sweat it. Unless you are trying to take out the intruder from across the yard, "pointing" the shotgun using the bead sight should still get you on target. If you are concerned use buckshot.

Mole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2020
    Washington
    This thread doesn't have a picture of said muzzle break - and it absolutely needs one.
    11561981_02_mossberg_930_with_roadblocker__640.jpg
    It's almost exactly like the barrett, just with a leeeeeedle front bead sitting on top. Cute.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think you actually need a brake that big on a shotgun for it to have any effect, due to the extremely low gas pressure. I know in competition mid barrel brakes are common for that reason.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Again, I risked starting this thread for help from the group. I acquired this gun, it’s what I have. Moving on... Any relevant inputs to the original question?

Since you already bought a replacement barrel, and you don't want the brake, why don't you put the brake back on the barrel and sell it? Someone out there will buy it.

Or if you can figure out what thread it is, you can probably order a thread protector for it or have one made if you really want.

cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    Since you already bought a replacement barrel, and you don't want the brake, why don't you put the brake back on the barrel and sell it? Someone out there will buy it.

Or if you can figure out what thread it is, you can probably order a thread protector for it or have one made if you really want.

Okay, this gives me an idea, I’ll identify the thread and try find a pipe to protect the threads and then see if i can tack a front site on it... Or will that be just as crazy as the Roadblocker brake?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Okay, this gives me an idea, I’ll identify the thread and try find a pipe to protect the threads and then see if i can tack a front site on it... Or will that be just as crazy as the Roadblocker brake?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think that's crazy, but I seriously doubt its pipe thread. It wouldn't be more than an hour of lathe work to have a toolmaker whip up what you actually want. Especially if something like an M4 cap head would be suitable to you as a front sight post. Easy job.

Top Bottom