• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I've been thinking about getting a muzzle loader barrel for my Mossberg 500 12ga. Anyone ever use one of these? It appears that these have been discontinued, but I'm sure that there are plenty out there still in good shape. I already have a Thompson Center Z5 Omega that shoots great and will be my main deer gun this year. I'd just like to find one of these barrels to tinker around with.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been thinking about getting a muzzle loader barrel for my Mossberg 500 12ga. Anyone ever use one of these? It appears that these have been discontinued, but I'm sure that there are plenty out there still in good shape. I already have a Thompson Center Z5 Omega that shoots great and will be my main deer gun this year. I'd just like to find one of these barrels to tinker around with.

I have a .50 cal muzzle loader barrel for my Mossberg 500. It works just fine, shoots great, uses 209 primers, pretty nice really.

Only two drawbacks that I've encountered,

1) Trying to "recap" in the dark, is a challenge. It's NOT easy to get my fat fingers far enough into the open chamber to set the new primer. It's just a small pain.

2) I had a conservation officer approach me during muzzle loader season a year or so ago, while I was carrying my Mossberg model 500 "muzzle loader". It took a VERY CLOSE inspection before the conservation officer would believe it WAS a muzzle gun. I don't think he was expecting to see a slide during that season!:D

Top Bottom