• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I ordered one of these on 9/11 - received it today.

DSA ZM4 Forged 7075T6 A3 AR15 Upper Receiver - DSZM4CBU-D S Arms

DSAUpper.jpg

Aesthetics & First Impressions:

The receiver finish under the anodizing isn't anything to brag about.

DSAUpperReceiver2.jpg

The M4 ramps have been ground.

DSAUpperM4.jpg

I removed the flash hider for an inspection of the crown. Nothing to get excited about, but functional and 90 degrees to the barrel contour.

DSACrown.jpg

I set the upper receiver assembly up on my Forster jig to check front sight base alignment - it is right on the money. Picture explanation - machinist square in the foreground, front sight post in the background.

Frontsightjig.jpg

I slugged the bore at .224, dead on the money. Using the slugs again, I checked the barrel twist, which is advertised at 1/9. I measured this one to be 1/8.75 or right thereabouts, nothing unusual for a button rifled barrel.

No gas port burr seen or felt. The bore felt very consistent, no tight or loose spots were noticeable. Interior finish is a little rough, but not enough to feel it when slugging.

The barrel headspaced at GO+.001" using my LMT "test" bolt and PTG gauges.

This barrel is advertised as being "nitrided". Due to my limited investment with this product - I decided to play.

Handguards removed (double heat shields by the way). I cleaned the barrel surfaces using a couple of Clorox wipes, they removed a little bit of oil and residue.

A Nicholson flat file dragged across the finish leaves a shiny spot - no metal removal noticed on the file teeth or barrel.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHNgyEjkbzg[/ame]

For verification, I went at it a bit harder with the same file - as if I was trying to remove some stock. No metal removed, just another shiny spot - although it looks like I made it through the finish.

I tried the same thing on a parkerized barrel stub I had laying on the bench, which started filling the file teeth up on the second swipe.

I took some Oxpho Blue to see if it would color the "shiny spot" I made - it wouldn't react.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKMMxlW1mVw[/ame]

I then took the same Oxpho Blue and tried it near the muzzle - no difference in reaction or how it colors the patch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4aEMAvmaYA[/ame]

Overall - its a $275 upper. Looks as good or better than what I used to see for roughly the same money before the (1994) frenzy.

I'll likely work over the feed ramps a bit more after test firing, and chances are I'll recrown it as well.

I remain intrigued by the barrel finish - I'll not be treating this one nicely, we'll see how it holds up.

If it shoots well this weekend, I'll likely be ordering another.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    wow, thanks for the info. I might have cried had I seen you take a file to a brand new barrel.

Have you ordered or used any of the DSA Lowers? I've considered buying one of these in the past as I have one of their SA58 rifles and really like it.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Thank you very much for this review. I have been thinking about ordering 2 of these for a couple inexpensive builds that I want to finish.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow! Good job. This was like reading an article at gun blast.com.

I might have to get one these uppers, thanks to your thorough report, with visuals.

I would be interested, in how it performs at the range.

I own a DSA SA58 and really like the quality. I am glad to see that quality extends across the board, especially for a new upper at a low price of $275.00.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    keep in mind that its just the upper, no bolt, carrier or charging handle. I almost bought one yesterday before realizing it was not a complete upper.

Why? Did you find one cheaper? I know it's not a high dollar piece but even with the 110.00 bolt and carrier (from their site) and a 25.00 charge handle (with tactical latch) from Midway 410.00s not bad, or is it? I've got an extra lower that's been laying around for a year or so and I'm going to use it as a "visitor" gun :):. I've got my others dialed in the way I like them and I won't mind someone banging away with this one. Let me know if you found a better deal.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    BEWARE!

Update: I just had a sucky experience with the Woman who answers the phone for them. Long story short- When i ordered this Upper, it was suppose to be in stock, a couple of days later I recieved an e-mail saying "Due to the popularity of this item it may take a few more days for your order to ship" That was a week ago, SO, I called them this morning asking if it had shipped or if they had an idea of when it would. (I'm used to waiting on stuff like this so I figured they were swamped) The girl (Jessica) instantly had an attitude and answered "oh your not even close, we just started shipping orders from middle of December" I said, "It was in suppose to be in stock and I have an e-mail from you a week ago that says it will ship in a few days". She laughed and said "That doesn't mean anything, it's going to be 4-5 weeks, is there anything else?" I replied, " I don't think you heard me, you guys said the upper was in stock, you then said it would be a few days, now it's going to be another month? You are not going to keep business like that" I waited to hear what she would say and finally she said "is there anything else you'd like?" no appologies, no nothing, just a smarts @ss attitude.

Oh and don't forget, They billed my credit card the night I placed the order, so not only do they expect you to be ok with the delay, but they're going to use your money for the next month or month and 1/2. I don't care how many people call in gripping at her a day, I wasn't one of them, but I am now. Crazy, Buyers beware!:xmad:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Update, they removed the hold on any funds on my card. I'm still thinking about calling back and talking to her boss about the attitude.

I had a similar experience with DSA. I ordered the same upper on November 15th, they said it was in stock. I got it in the mail on January 19th after many phone calls and unanswered emails. I did not have any rude phone calls though.

The upper is nice, but I do not care for DSA at all. I will not order from them anymore.

I will go this route: (order all parts from BCM)
    -BCM upper receiver $95
    -DD 16" M4 barrel $169
    -gas tube $12
    -FSB $25

$301 for a better upper and add your own handguard

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I have to give an update to my DSA saga...
    After my "run in" with the order girl I decided to call back and let her manager know what I thought of the way I was treated and cancel my order. I talked to a fellow named Micheal, he told me that should never have happened and she should have informed me about other options they had in place when people called in asking about the delay. He also apologized and told me he would make things right with me if I ever wanted to try again.
    To make a long story shortish :) I called yesterday about the midlength 16" with the fluted barrel. Micheal said he'd hook me up and make sure it shipped yesterday. I RECIEVED IT TODAY! :rockwoot:no charge for shipping and recieved it in one day. That sounds like a company who is worried about customer service after all. I thought I'd share my experience and suprise.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That's good news

It's good to hear they treated you right but it's too bad you had to go over somebody's head to get there. There is way too much competition in the AR market for a company to have some nasto answering their phones.

Top Bottom