• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Whats the difference between the various HK-91 clones out there? How would you price them all out comparatively? Any reason to stay away from any of the clones? I wish I could get a genuine Heckler & Koch but I'm not sure if its gonna happen anytime soon.

I believe the clones I've seen are PTR-91, Century Arms, Federal Arms... correct me if I'm wrong. What other makers are there and what are the differences?

I live in NWI if anybody wants to adopt-a-Rambone and let me shoot their '91. Thanks guys!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The ONLY one I would spend money on would be a PTR-91; they are made here on tooling purchased from FMP, which was an HK-licensed manufacturer in Portugal. All the others you mention are built on parts kits and receivers of dubious quality, and should be avoided, IMO.

An option that splits the difference between the PTR-91 and a real HK-91 would be an older Springfield SAR-3 or SAR-8. These were manufactured in Greece by Hellenic Arms (again, an HK licensed producer) and imported by Springfield. Later SAR-8s were built on US-manufactured cast receivers with a rail on top and should be avoided.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The PTR 91 is a very clean rifle and IMO looks as good, and probably better, than a NIB HK 91.

I own a Centurion 99 (sold my other one when I got the PTR91). They are great guns, the one I own I've put 2k rounds thru w/o a malfunction and I bought it used, the other had probably 500 rounds thru, also flawless.

Mine is a Centurion 99 and also has a Federal Arms Corp FA 91 receiver. I love them.

That said, the clone G3's have taken a bad rap due to the infamous Hesse/Vulcan production clones that were pure crap.

Also keep in mind that there are also 'CETEME' clones as well... it's not an easy subject to broach because most people are extremely ignorant to the many clones and the ones that are good vs junk. I fall on the slightly ignorant side, because with so many stories on the net and the lack of detail about WHICH manufacturer, let alone with model, it is difficult to offer a completely educated opinion.

That said, the PTR91's are the cats meow and well worth the $1,000 NIB price tag. Centurion 99/FA91's are still reasonably priced at ~$500. I'd never buy a Hesse/Vulcan product of any kind and I wouldn't risk any of the other clones.

Shooter521 mentions the SAR3/SAR8 which most people have either forgotten or didn't even know existed, great guns! Considering their price tag, I'd buy the NIB PTR91 but if you could score one for the price of a C99/FA91 I'd grab it w/o hesitation.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Id stay away from the FA91's. There is a ton of bad things said about there aluminum receivers and the hard cocking after they heat up. on the net. Here are a few links...

Federal Arms FA91 - THR
    HK Weapon Systems Forums: Federal Arms Corp: HK91 Clone????
    GunBroker.com Message Forums - FA91 problems

The FA is nothing compared to a PTR or actual HK but they are better than a century or hesse build. I got one a couple weeks ago and it has ran flawless. I put a little over 300rds through it last week without an issue. They are ugly as hell but I doubt that receiver will ever fail, it's about a foot thick.
    and you can find negative threads for anything if you look

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I used to have a HK91, back in the 80's. I would personally buy the PTR91 (I think it used to be JLD).

This was mentioned earlier, that the PTR or JLD is manufactured on equipment that was used to make G3's or HK91's for the Portugese Military.

Can't get much closer to the HK91, than that. I have been tempted many times, concerning the PTR91.

JLD/PTR reduced the amount of flutes (supposedly softer recoil), reworked the chamber and barrel (to accomodate surplus military ammo), and are parts compatible for the most part, with the HK91.

I hear the PTR91's are solid, reliable, and accurate for this type of rifle.

Poor man's HK91, so to say. JLD/PTR is an American produced HK91, like DSA is a American produced FAL, somewhat cheaper and just as good (eyes of the beholder).

I still might bite on one, who knows. Good luck.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    For what it's worth I own a cast Cetme, and have had zero problems with it. The early Century build made in the St. Albans, VT facility are quality compared to the stamped versions. The only thing as far as I know to look out for on the Century Cetme's are ground bolts. If you can afford a PTR that would be my first choice, but I am more then happy with my cast Cetme.

Picture1561Small.jpg

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Springfield also made some of these come to think of it. They had two versions, the one with the integral rail on top of the recevier suffered from the same problems that swissrifles1 spoke of. At one time, Springfield was actually taking these things back, and sending out M1a's if they couldn't be fixed.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    See Rambone?

So far first hand knowledge posters:
    First hand positives:
    PTR91: 1
    FA91: 3
    Cetme: 1

First hand negatives:
    Nothing so far.

Posting up "I heards" on the internet isn't exactly quality information.

FWIW My FA91 (and previous FA91) looked just like the one in the gunbroker auction. Again they were both 100%. I shot a lot ( back when chilian ammo was 10 cents a round) thru the one I still own. Never had a problem cocking it "hot".

I will sell mine for $1,000... $900 if you meet me 99% of the way ;)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I had dealings with one of these. The one I used to have was a Century Arms. It was called a "C91 Sporter." It didn't have a flash suppressor, though some did. I have no idea what kind of receiver was on it, but when you broke it down to clean it, it was stamped "HK" and maybe some sort of code. I have no idea if it was an HK contract receiver or not. The first time I took it out, I swear it failed to fire the first round, I again pulled the charging handle and it fired two mags with no problems. I didn't shoot it again until many, many years later. Then I shot another 40 rounds, no problem. Accuracy I can't give too much advice on. I could definitely hit center body mass of a human at 50 yards, as that was the distance I was shooting and I was hitting the target no problem. I wish I would have taken it out to the 100 yard range.

Top Bottom