Silver Barrel? Coating outside barrels? Where to take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Well, I'm looking to "customize" a shotgun I have, I want to get the barrles that are now blued, coated in something that is silver. What would they use? Whats the most durable? I Live in Fort Wayne. Some one help me out!

Powder coat? I need durable and something that will obviously hold up to heat!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the best solution if you want something that is silver and shiney would be nickel plating... its expensive but very very durable.... other alternatives that are not as shiney would be duracoat and cerakoat (if there is such a color in cerakote) other than that you could polish the metal shiney and then clear duracoat overtop of it to protect against rust.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If you wanted to go the other way, I'd recommend black oxide-there's a place I have my stuff done there in Ft Wayne that does an amazing job. to change blue/black to silver, though, duracoat is probably your best bet.

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't know if it's shiny enough for you, but Norrells Moly-Resin comes in a stainless steel color that replicates the look of glass beaded stainless. I've been considering having my 1911 frame done in this for a two tone look.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have the stainless Norrell's moly resin and it turns out pretty nice. Not shiny but does give a stainless appearance.
    IMG_3263.jpg

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    The frame on my Kimber is done in Brownell's Gun-Kote stainless steel. Very durable and available in spray cans (you provide the oven).
    376373992.jpg

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    They are not cheap by any means, but I have heard these guys do amazing work.Robar Premium Finishing & Firearms Home Page I plan to send a few of my guns to them, one at a time over a few years of course;) Their price list says $130 for NP3 on the barrel. NP3 is their proprietary nickel plating process that involves Teflon coating.......You'll just have to go to their site and surf around......

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The most durable "silver" colored finish I've ever had on a firearm has been hard chrome. Mine was a brushed hard chrome finish and looked very close to stainless steel. I've had a few nickel finishes on firearms and had a problem with flaking and/or discoloration.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you wanted to go the other way, I'd recommend black oxide-there's a place I have my stuff done there in Ft Wayne that does an amazing job. to change blue/black to silver, though, duracoat is probably your best bet.
    IS duracoat a more durable finish than black oxide, in general? Which would resist chipping and flaking better?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    IS duracoat a more durable finish than black oxide, in general? Which would resist chipping and flaking better?

no, rebluing is probably the best aftermarket finish, but like any finish you have to take care of it in order for it to take care of you...

if its currently silver it can be blasted off and then reblued or coated w/ something else... PM me if you want more information.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom