• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    lately coyote hunting is somethin ive been really wanting to get into, ive killed them with my bow shotgun and 30-06 but i really want a gun just for coyote and other varmint, im really interested in a howa 204 ruger, any other suggestions

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    well i doubt id get one mounted or anything just get rid of them i have permission to hunt on a cattle farm and hog farm, they are constantly out there where they bury the dead animals, would a 204 do the job? i want somethin i can shoot as far as i want with accuracy and knockdown power

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Depends...

Are you keeping pelts?

If so, then your "smaller varmint" calibers are the way to go.

But if you're coyote hunting to thin the herd and to protect livestock, then it's "pick your poison"...literally!

That said, 22-250 is a heck of a round... As is .243.

Your short magnums and magnums might be overkill...especially in the area of recoil.

My step dad has recently acquired a Rem 710 in .270 Win for Coyote. That'll reach out and touch something, that's for sure.

So, again, it's pick your poison!

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    well i doubt id get one mounted or anything just get rid of them i have permission to hunt on a cattle farm and hog farm, they are constantly out there where they bury the dead animals, would a 204 do the job? i want somethin i can shoot as far as i want with accuracy and knockdown power

You're going to have a hard time battling any wind with .204.

Definitely fast enough to have decent kill energy for a predator, but for me personally, I'd want something throwing a little heavier projectile.

-J-

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    is the 22-250 heavier than the 204? ive also killed one with my 17 hmr, by far my favorite gun but nowhere near enough for what i wanna do, but i did hit it in the head at about 90 yards

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    204 will do an excellent job on coyote. I would definately recommend the 40 grain Vmax or 39 grain Sierra Blitz King bullets. With these bullets you will have good killing power out to 400 yards. As far as manufacturers go i would recommend CZ first and Savage as a close second. There are various options in the 204 ruger cartridge with both companies.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    22-250 is about perfect for yote hunting,ammo is pretty easy to find and wont break you plus there is a wide variety of ammo to choose from. I am also a big fan of the .22 hornet,though ammo is a bit on the expensive side and there isnt alot of choices as far as brand goes...great little round to get started with if your interested in hand loading as well. 223 is also an excellent choice.
    keep in mind you'll be hunting a cattle farm...I also hunt on a cattle/hog farm and the farmer is only comfortable with us using shotguns and small caliber rifles like the .22mag or 17hmr. we could safely use the higher caliber rifles but its his land so we follow his rules.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    we hunt on the back side of the farm nowhere near the livestock and he said it didnt matter what we kill them with as long as we kill em, i usually sit in the loft and open the big doors, im about 40 yards from where they place the dead animals and on the other side of that is about a 100 acre bean and hayfield and past that is a really thick 50 acre patch of woods that has no houses or people around it, how much are the cz and savage rifles? i can buy a new howa for 500-700 with thumbhole stock and all camo but dont know much about them

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    you can get a stevens model 200 in 22-250 or .223 for a little over $300 then could spend that extra $200-300 on some good glass. the CZ rifles are great rifles but I dont recall how much they run.

fnl388w

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Gary
    .223 is a great caliber for yotes. Savage Rifles are affordable and sweet shooting. Have shot others (.204 and .243) and think .223 is best of both worlds, inexpensive and very common with mild recoil. Plus, because of the popularity of the round, much research and knowledge can be found in terms of ballistics. My:twocents:.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would probably go with a 243. the problem with shooting coyotes at longer ranges (300+) isn't the bullet drop its the wind. and a higher bc bullet will help with that

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    its gonna be a tough choice but i think ill get a 22-250,204,223, or 243 now just gotta narrow it down and pick the one i like the most, any other brands that are easy on the wallet?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    ill definately check the stevens out. do they make the 204 or 25wssm? what about thumbhole and camo?

I doubt they make them chambered in 25WSSM and Im really not sure about .204 ruger either...though I doubt it.
    Im pretty sure if you search around youll be able to find and after market thumb hole stock for the stevens. they come from the factory as basic "get r done" rifles with a gray synthetic stock. just be sure what ever you choose to factor in the cost of some decent optics..youll want the best you can afford.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    its gonna be a tough choice but i think ill get a 22-250,204,223, or 243 now just gotta narrow it down and pick the one i like the most, any other brands that are easy on the wallet?

weatherby makes a "budget" rifle for a little more than the stevens..I think its called the vanguard.
    also check out the NEF handi rifles...excellent rifles for the money. Ive owned several over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. they are good budget minded rifles and can be very accurate.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    do they make the bdc scopes for rifles? and if so are they worth the money? and are they ok for smaller caliber rifles. how much do t/c rifles cost

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I recently purchased a Stephens .223....picked it up for $285 with 3-9x40 scope.

Top Bottom