• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I am looking at picking up a muzzle loader and am considering the TC Omega Z 5, 50 cal in camo thumbhole stock with the weather shield barrel. Any thoughts from those of you who have them or have shot them? I am looking for ease of use and accuracy while still being cost conscious. From what I can see this fits the bill the best. Pro Hunter is nice but really don't need all that. Any other choices would also be appreciated.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ill tell my story in pics....

the gun

omega.jpg

omega3shot.jpg

200yardomega.jpg

deer!

PB200017.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    in all reality, the gun wasnt picky on how clean it was.... shot great clean which makes it much easier on the range, and wasnt to ammo sensitive at all either.... the nikon omega scope is worth its weight in gold as well.... makes shooting much easier even though it takes a bit more time and shooting to make sure everything is right....

the deer was at 160 yards running across a field and i got her when she slowed down to jump over a fence... this was kneeling unsupported.... the only reason i was comforitable making that shot is because i had confidence in the gun, and knew the reticle very very well, and it was almost a reflex fire shot that i just took a moment to make sure everything was lined up...

while the prohunter is probably the better gun, i think the omega is the better value.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So you like it.....The 250 shockwave your favorite or have you tried others? Looks like you don't need to try others just asking.

it liked power belts too, but they were too expensive to shoot 75 rounds in a day...
    i tried the easy glide shockwaves but the sabot was to slick and didnt engage the rifling completely almost skipping over the rifling.... the cheap 25 grain shockwave in its black jacket under 150 grains pyrodex out of the TC omega is what the nikon omega scope was calibrated with so i stuck with it because it was cheap, shot good, and lined up with the bdc of the scope not perfectly but close enough that i dont need a chart to remember where the bullet is going to hit.... i HIGHLY reccomend this setup.... the camo thumbhole stock was kind of a gamble because i dont really like hydrographics (snobby i know) and i am not a huge fan of thumbholes, however for me, this is the perfect inline rifle... i wont even bother with a shotgun at this point.

come to think of it, i just cleaned the blood off her tonight.:rockwoot:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thanks for the rep, thats what INGO is for.... just to throw it out there, i dont know if you can still find this deal or not, but i got the gun, scope and scope mount for 450 dollars shipped TO MY DOOR about a year and a half ago while i was in iraq.... if you were to purchase everything by itself i think you would be over 600 by the time you added tax...

275 gun
    250 scope
    40 scope mount
    50 shipping

not sure if those prices are 100 percent right but that brings the total to just over 600.... i think 450 was a heck of a price.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    First, I'll start by saying I took my first ever whitetail last year with an Omega Z5

doepd4.jpg

I ended up selling it and my Hoyt bow when the wife last her job earlier this year.

So now that season is coming back around, I started shopping again.

Cabelas has the Triumph, which is a step up from the Omega for $350, that's with a scope, rings and a gun case. Great deal!

Cabela's -- Thompson/Center Triumph .50 Caliber Rifle

So I was getting ready to buy it.. why not, next up gun for cheaper than buying the Z5 at Dick's.

While I was looking around Cabelas, I noticed the CVA Accura, which is their answer to the Triumph (without the speed breach) was only $350 with the camo/thumbhole like the Omega.

I got to looking and didn't care about paying an extra $150 for camo/thumbhole, so I got the black/blue CVA Accura for $239

Cabela's -- CVA® Accura™ 209 Rifle – Blued/Black

Every review I've seen shows it to be accurate and shooting very small groups.

CVA put together a nice little page to compare the Accura and the Triumph.

The Great American Shootout between CVA and T/C Arms :: Accura vs. Triumph

Figure between this and a nice Nikon ProStaff, I've got a tack driver for well under $500

Lots of folks over at huntingnet.com like it as well.

Don't get me wrong, the Omega is good gun, but the Accura's trigger is better and it's a break-action.... for less money :D

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    HECK of a price. $389.00 best I can find for just the gun. Camo thumbhole stock is hard to find on line. I wonder if it is being made specially for Dick's Sporting Goods?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks Hickman for your input as well. I have held the Accura and for some reason it just doesn't fit me well. Another guy picked it up loved it and bought it. I thought what did I miss here. Seemed to be a great rifle just not for me. Go with what feels right though I guess. By the way, I think I saw on a previous thread that you were down in Yellow wood second weekend of the season. I was hunting there as well as camped in the campground. Hope you had a good weekend and thanks again. Repped!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    By all means, go with what fits best and spend time at the range as much as you can.

That Triumph deal at Cabelas is hard to beat... and their shipping is fast!

Ordered mine on Saturday and got it today.

I'll be down at Yellowwood a lot over the next couple of weeks.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I have a Z5 Omega with the black composite stock and love it. It will shoot 1.5" groups at 100yrds all day with 115gr of loose 777 topped with a 300gr XTP/Mag sabot.
    That said, I can't find the 300gr rounds this year so I'm switching to the 250gr Shockwave. I tried a scope out for a bit earlier this year and it seemed to shoot the 250gr well too, however, I still have some of the 300gr left and will be using those for the upcomming season this year. I have no complaints at all with it and would highly recommend it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a Z5 Omega with the black composite stock and love it. It will shoot 1.5" groups at 100yrds all day with 115gr of loose 777 topped with a 300gr XTP/Mag sabot.
    That said, I can't find the 300gr rounds this year so I'm switching to the 250gr Shockwave. I tried a scope out for a bit earlier this year and it seemed to shoot the 250gr well too, however, I still have some of the 300gr left and will be using those for the upcomming season this year. I have no complaints at all with it and would highly recommend it.

ive talked to quite a few outdoors stores and they all said that the companies are getting away from 300 gr bullets. i have no clue why as my prohunter HATES 250 gr bullets. if i get half a chance im going to buy a few hundred so i dont have to hunt bullets new year. i screwed up last year cabelas ran a special on them and i didn't buy any

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Well, and I am now fondling my own. Omega that is. I got her today, went with the Nikon Pro Staff Team Real Tree scope. Ordering from Cabelas the rest of the goddies right now. Thanks again for all your input. I'll let you know how she performs after I take her to the range for her first workout.

Top Bottom