• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I just got back from shooting my "new" 91/30 today and I had a bit of a problem with the aim point at 50 yards being WAY too high. I mean, I was shooting off the top of the circle, rather than the post, on the front sight just to hit the target, let alone the center. The rear sight was adjusted as far as it would go. Any suggestions?

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I just got back from shooting my "new" 91/30 today and I had a bit of a problem with the aim point at 50 yards being WAY too high. I mean, I was shooting off the top of the circle, rather than the post, on the front sight just to hit the target, let alone the center. The rear sight was adjusted as far as it would go. Any suggestions?
    Shooting high is normal @ 50 yards, The min distance should be around 100 (104 yards) meters depending on the year it was made. Check the height of your front sight post.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Shooting high is normal @ 50 yards, The min distance should be around 100 (104 yards) meters depending on the year it was made. Check the height of your front sight post.

My M44 is just fine at 50 yards, with the rear sight properly adjusted. As far as I can tell, the front post is not adjustable at all. On the 91/30, I set the rear sight any farther and I was still shooting off the top of the target stand.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    m44 as such being a carbine will shoot about level at 50 yards.
    The 91/30 will shoot high at 50 yards due to being sighted in for 1-- yards.

But should it really shoot a foot or more high? I mean, a bullet's not going to drop that far over the additional 50 yards between a 50 yard target and a 100 yard target. I would think inches at most.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Remember, Moisens are battle rifles, designed to volly fire at enemy lines several hundred yards away. Many such rifles have sights with range settings STARTING at 200 yards and going all the way to 1000 or more. Besure the rear sight is at it's lowest position and make a mark on the front sight that is much lower. Use this mark for less than 250 or so yards. 50 yards is for 22's not 30 cal. military weapons. These thing are made for LONG range.

Top Bottom