• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashtonjj100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    what are some accurate loads that i could start with, i am currently loading 168gr seirra hp, with about 55gr of reloader 19. this is not impressive at two hundred yards, it might just be my rifle though it is kind of old.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Just to tell you, you should probably post this in the Accessories and Ammunition part of the forum in the future. ;)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    How "not impressive" is it at 200 yards?

If I were loading for accuracy I would start with 168gr MatchKings and IMR 4895. That doens't mean Reloader 19 is wrong, it's very well suited for 30-06. You could make a case for IMR 4064 and Varget too.

Do you have a chonograph?

Barrel harmonics make a difference, you will have to find the bullet weight and velocity that your rifle likes, then you can start the quest for what rifle powder will give you the best consistency with that bullet and at that velocity, but a powder that is not suited to the bullet and velocity will be hard to find any load that will be accurate, and you may have to switch powders and start again.

Also many scopes without an adjustable objective will have enough parallax at 200yds that it would be hard to keep a tight group regardless of the load.

For instance, I have a scope on a .308 that will shoot 3/4" or less groups with several different match loads. At 200 yards the groups open up to 2-1/2" to 3", when a normal person would think that it would be possible to hold the groups at 2".

Also, if you can't find a load with Reloader 19 and the 168gr, try a different bullet, like 155, 165, 175, 180.

FWIW, I would also do the load developing at 100 yards, there are fewer factors at play, or they have less impact.

ashtonjj100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    my last couple of 5 shot targets was 5-7 inch paterns. I do have a chronograph, and i have already loaded some match grade 155gr hp, that i will try this weekend.

Top Bottom