• ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Hey all,
    I have a couple of AK and SKS variants that I love, but I also have a wife and daughters who are petrified to shoot them because of the recoil. I know pretty much nothing about AR's other than they are supposed to be a little more accurate, and someone mentioned that they might have lighter recoil. Could anyone comment on this? If you have both an AK and an AR, does the AR have noticeably less recoil? I need a new caliber like a hole in the head, but it may be worth looking into. Thoughts?

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Fired both, The AK is a bit more...but if you're scared of the AK recoil, I'd say you're still going to be scared of the AR's recoil.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    One of the reasons I sold my AK was that the recoil is more than my AR. The original AK with wood stock is also heavier than the AR which makes it more intimidating for some women.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Yes, I'm a Mosin junkie too but my wife won't even touch it. I just think that when the Mosin smacks your shoulder like a mack truck it's the Mosin's way of telling you it loves you. See, who says men can't be emotional?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Fired both, The AK is a bit more...but if you're scared of the AK recoil, I'd say you're still going to be scared of the AR's recoil.

This.

Also, work with your wife and daughter on the issue. An AK will not HURT either of them because of recoil. It might scare them to try it, but if you work with them on weapons with less recoil (.22s), then it should build their confidence to try the AK. It should/will eventually get to the point that they are not afraid of the weapon, and want to shoot it. Just go about it professionally with respect to their feelings, and work with them. I think buying the AR would just be an expensive way to not fix the root of the problem.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    My handloads are .003 of the lands, using a 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip(Green Tip) in front of IM 4198.

Barrel has been shortened to 22" and recrowned with a FAL flash supressor, I have a 1" pad on the back of a Monte Carlo stock and it still kicks like a 12ga with 3" magnums.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    ARs have some recoil but not much. I own both an AK and a couple ARs. I shoot the ARs much more often for varying reasons. I like my AK, in parts due to the looks and I love shooting it. I can't make a direct comparision as to recoil but I wouldn't think the AR recoil is manageable for your wife. My wife 5.2, 100lbs shoots it and has no problems controlling it. She won't touch a 12 Gauge SG or my K98 wiht a 10 foot pool due to the kick. If you're in the Lafayette area drop me a pm and I'd gladly let you shoot you one of mine to get a feel for it. The AR platform also has the advantage that you can get a 22lr kit for less than 200 mag included and shoot cheap ammo.

fyrefyter101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    south of fortwayne
    I have an AR and a AK, both are accurate but I pick the AR for multiple mag shooting simply because of the recoil. Ask a buddy to bring one by and shoot it, have her give it a go! They are both a great rifle but the AR in my opinion is the one to choose!

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    You see pictures and film of children soldiers in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East carrying and shooting AK47's.

Ak recoil is what you are accustomed too, from experiencing heavier calibers such as: .308, .30-06, and 3 inch 12 guage. Not much compared to these, as common examples.

There is also 5.45x39 AKs out there. Less recoil, smaller round.

When you shoot, make sure everyone has good ear and eye protection. You don't notice kick so much, without the blast noise.

Be patient and don't push them to shoot. You could start out with a nice .22lr rifle.

Good luck and have fun.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IMO...

AR = no recoil
    AK & SKS = hardly any recoil if much at all

I started my girlfriend on the classic Ruger 10/22 standing, she moved up to my Savage MKII Target, she tried the 17HMR and then she wanted something with some more power! I let her try out my M44 Mosin. She loved it, so she tried 7mm Magnum! She had a blast, really had fun and she can't wait to go again! I got really lucky! Now I can't go to the range alone!

Give the girl the proper PPE, teach her the general safety procedures, let her familiarize herself with each weapon, form, function, safety, weight, ammo, let her try it her own pace.

Be patient and don't push them to shoot.

Good Luck! Have Fun! Be Safe!

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I've heard that you can put the but of an AR against your nose and pull the trigger with out worry, but I know from experience to keep your cheek away from the receiver cover release on the AK to keep from getting popped unexpectedly. By the way agan_08, your mosin is not an AK or AR fyi, wrong thread. lol

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    The AR and AK 5.45 are very similar in recoil, the AK 7.62 and SKS are much more noticeable, I have had all 4. However, you can reduce the recoil on any AK by using a recoil buffer, they are only $10 from copesdistributing and slide onto the recoil spring. That should reduce it to something that any small woman or girl could easily handle. You might want to check them out.

Cope's Distributing

Top Bottom