Simple question that I think I know the answer to.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Laminated wood (as opposed to solid wood) will generally be stronger and much more resistant to warping from changes in temperature and humidity.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Plywood is laminated wood, but laminated wood is not necessarily plywood.

They are the same thing. Only difference between the two is that plywood layers alternate direction every other layer and laminated layers all go the same direction. Their purpose might be different and one suitable for one situation and the other for another situation, but in the end they are both the same thing.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.
    I agree purpose is everything. Most decisions compare the differences between solids and laminates but I guess there are various ways to assemble laminations (so it's not just 2 choices)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Laminating corrects two problems with wood. When a tree grows, a bunch of cells are forming wood and it only goes in one direction because of the forces of all. When cut into boards, many of the cells agree on what direction they want, but it is different from how the tree went. (This is similar to the internet going one direction, and IN Gun Owners being not really fond of candidates that want you to pay for their universal health care, instead of your new black rifle.)

When you resaw a think board into thin pieces with a bandsaw, it will often warp. This is caused by the stresses being released. Often times you need to resaw it thicker than needed, flatten one side with the jointer after you have let the wood sit for a while to finish warping, then bring the other side parallel with a planner.

When wood is cut up into strips and glued back together you get serious reduction of these built in stresses. Also, more rigidity comes from gluing wood with slightly different characteristics together.

To a lesser extent, you also reduce the expansion and contraction of the wood due to moisture. However, the lamination significantly reduces the warping and straightening of the wood due to changes in moisture even as it does expand and contract.

When woodworking with solid wood, you must take into account the movement of wood due to moisture, or your project will rip itself apart with a few summer (wet) and winter (dry) cycles. This is why solid wood table tops are joined to the bottom with screw or tabs into a slot, rather than a hole. Plywood alternates the grain direction and greatly reduces this change, and hence is much easier to work with than solid wood for lasting furniture and projects.

Sorry for the long winded response, I'm also an avid woodworker and on the board of directors for a local non-profit woodworking club that makes wooden toys for many local charities.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sorry for the long winded response, I'm also an avid woodworker and on the board of directors for a local non-profit woodworking club that makes wooden toys for many local charities.

My buddy is into woodworking and all I have learned about it is that it is a LOT harder than most people think. Way beyond my level of ability, that if for sure.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My buddy is into woodworking and all I have learned about it is that it is a LOT harder than most people think. Way beyond my level of ability, that if for sure.

At the fine furniture level your tolerances for good workmanship are close to machining tolerances (literally a few 0.001"), but you often make the adjustments by eye or hand. But it is really cool when you can finish a project and people ask where you bought it.

Top Bottom